Rab electron pro vs neutrino pro

Kspence49

FNG
Revamping my hunting clothing and looking to add a high quality puffy for glassing. Hunting mainly in Wyoming so cold and windy, jacket will be worn over a merino base layer and Sitka ambient hoody most of the time, and maybe a jetstream vest if the wind is really ripping. Does anyone have experience with these two jackets? Is the neutrino worth a $60 upgrade? Yes I have looked into the kuiu SDP and SG Grumman but have landed on the rab so please keep the discussion focused

P Carter

WKR
I have the electron pro. It’s great. Zero complaints. Super warm, durable. Cut is great—sleeves hit right, goes down behind the back, hood is comfy. Like wearing a 0 degree sleeping bag; I have to unzip if it’s warmer than 20. Blocks wind well, also.

Looks like the neutrino pro has significantly more fill. I don’t know what temps you’re planning on. If worn over a baselayer and a mid layer, I can’t imagine needing more warmth than the electron pro provides. That said, if you’re paying full price it might make sense to pay for the extra fill. That will be one dang warm jacket…can’t imagine you’d ever need anything warmer short of climbing an 8000 meter peak or Antarctica or something.

OP
K

Kspence49

FNG
I have the electron pro. It’s great. Zero complaints. Super warm, durable. Cut is great—sleeves hit right, goes down behind the back, hood is comfy. Like wearing a 0 degree sleeping bag; I have to unzip if it’s warmer than 20. Blocks wind well, also.

Looks like the neutrino pro has significantly more fill. I don’t know what temps you’re planning on. If worn over a baselayer and a mid layer, I can’t imagine needing more warmth than the electron pro provides. That said, if you’re paying full price it might make sense to pay for the extra fill. That will be one dang warm jacket…can’t imagine you’d ever need anything warmer short of climbing an 8000 meter peak or Antarctica or something.
awesome thanks for the info! I found an electron for 240 and a neutrino for 300, I’ve heard it’s also not quite as athletic of a cut on the neutrino and more baggy for layering. Might save the 60 bucks and just go for the electron. I like the color of the electron better too. I’ve heard they run a little small as they’re European did you find that to be the case? Normally wear a large looking at the XL but I really don’t want it to be too big either

P Carter

WKR
I like the fit. It’s pretty athletic fitting—enough room for layers but not baggy. European for may be a good description. I’m a solid medium in nearly all things, and medium in the electron pro fits really well on me.

I run an earlier gen neutrino. Never been cold in it down to below 0*f. I never leave home without it. Down is light to begin with. Go for the heavier jacket. Could save your life someday.

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
I have the Electron Pro and the Positron Pro. The Electron gets used a lot. For sitting still it works well as part of a layering system in reasonable temps (say about 15 F).

The Positron is like putting a 0 degree sleeping bag on your upper body, it is too much for most uses (and heavier than my 20 degree quilt).

I imagine the Neutrino would be in-between. If you need a parka for bitter cold sits, step up to the Positron. If you need a solid puffy for uses as part of a system, get the Electron. The Electron is too much for activity unless it is below 20 F.