Puffy vest with wind stopper jacket vs puffy jacket with wind stopper vest

Kspence49

FNG
I’m revamping my Sitka wardrobe, dumping some stuff I don’t use and picking up some new stuff to try. After my sale I’ll be down to just a heavyweight zip tee, jetstream jacket, and timberline pants (and blizzard set). In the past my setup has been merino base layer, heavyweight hoody, aerolite vest, and jetstream. It’s worked, especially when having a bit of movement, but sitting for a while it’s left something to be desired. I’m looking into the ambient hoody and jetstream vest, and then into a new puffy vest/jacket (although starting to steer away from Sitka to something warmer, eyeing stone glacier but $$$$). Does anyone run a vest/wind stopper combo, and what’s your favorite way to utilize them? Puffy vest with wind stopper jacket, or puffy jacket with wind stopper vest? Hunting in Wyoming desert and pine forest mostly, so cold/windy but mostly dry. When it gets really cold the blizzard set comes out but that’s not a hiking set.

ForlohFamily

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor

bozeman

WKR
Puffy vest under a windproof jacket for me. Helps control temps (like sweat under arms) when moving. If stopping for long periods of time, size up on a puffy jacket to go over it all while stopped.

Drenalin

WKR
Agree with above. My arms get cold in the wind, that makes the rest of me colder. I want windstopper all over my top half when stationary. I don’t really use a vest though, I prefer to just put the puffy on over everything.

OP
K

Kspence49

FNG
Agree with above. My arms get cold in the wind, that makes the rest of me colder. I want windstopper all over my top half when stationary. I don’t really use a vest though, I prefer to just put the puffy on over everything.
What does your layering system look like? Base layer, mid layer, jacket, puffy? Or just base, mid, puffy?

Drenalin

WKR
What does your layering system look like? Base layer, mid layer, jacket, puffy? Or just base, mid, puffy?
It depends on conditions, i.e. more than about a 15 mph wind. In normal conditions, standard base+mid+puffy. If wind kicks up but it's still dry, I'll add a jacket over the mid. If rain comes with the wind, I'm going to a hard shell over everything.