Raft for fly-in moose drop camp

I will be moose hunting for the first time in Alaska this year. I have a bush pilot hired to drop us into a remote lake surrounded by swamps. Is an inflatable raft a necessary item? Is it worth the extra weight? If so, does anyone have a recommendation for make and model? My buddy and I are limited to 650 lbs; body weight and gear. Thanks in advance for you recommendatons.

SliverShooter

Lil-Rokslider
First, how big are you and your hunting partner? That will determine what you are able to take.

I built this kayak from a DIYPackraft kit for last years hunt. Total weight with the four piece paddle, two seats, pump-sack, and repair kit, is 14#’s. I wouldn’t trust it on on class 3 or rougher water but it would work fine for your needs. It hauled me, my gear, all the meat, and the antlers.

B4DB03B5-8991-4F5D-B7F3-E81ACBB8E131.jpeg

Last edited:

mooster

WKR
Ive used an alpacka packraft last two years, wouldn't think of not taking it. we use it daily to hunt, then its invaluable for transporting the moose back to camp or pick up area.

OP
M
First, how big are you and your hunting partner? That will determine what you are able to take.

I built this kayak from a DIYPackraft kit for last years hunt. Total weight with the four piece paddle, two seats, pump-sack, and repair kit, is 14#’s. I wouldn’t trust it on on class 3 or rougher water but it would work fine for your needs. It hauled me, my gear, all the meat, and the antlers.

View attachment 417436
That is awesome! Thanks so much for your reply! Wow! What a moose! Congrats!

OP
M
Ive used an alpacka packraft last two years, wouldn't think of not taking it. we use it daily to hunt, then its invaluable for transporting the moose back to camp or pick up area.
Thank you for your reply! This great feedback. I will look into the Alpacka. Sounds like it is a must have item!

chinook907

Lil-Rokslider
If the lake you're landing on is of any size at all, probably worth taking an inflatable of some kind.

I've got a PR49. Looks something like what Walt (above) built himself. You can find the specs online. Great idea to bring float vests & 3 or 4 piece "kayak" paddles too.

A couple weeks ago @ a trailhead. Its the black duffel @ the bottom of the pile in the trailer.
20220519_192158trailer.jpg

Next day my 9 year old son paddling it around.

20220520_112643pr49.jpg

I've got an Alpacka too but its way smaller (and lighter), and like it more for if I will be carrying it on my back quite aways, or don't anticipate as much of a load.

mooster

WKR
Rowing moose video in Alpacka Forager
Moose rafting

Full Camp In Aplacka Forager

img_5044_heic-jpg.225429

Last edited:

mooster

WKR
I choose the Alpacka as the weight of the Alpacka was an advantage as we tried to cut weight for our air taxi. PR49 seemed over built and heavy for our lake hunts.

SliverShooter

Lil-Rokslider
Alpacas are great, I think they are a lot more durable then my DIY. Down side is they are more than twice the weight. When going solo for 14 days with a 65# limit, it is hard to loose enough gear to make the weight limit.