Rage Practice Heads - Don't Spin Well

TX_Diver

WKR
I was considering using the Rage NCs this year but didn't want to practice with them so I picked up a set of the hypodermic practice heads.

I put all my arrows together and the NCs spin great. When I put the practice heads on they all have a major wobble to them though...

I shot the practice heads for the first time yesterday and they also don't group well. I can get an idea of my elevation based on the center of the group but now it has me 2nd guessing how the actual heads will fly. If I get similar groups with the actual heads I'm just gonna stick with my Magnus heads. I have no experience with mechanical heads. If I shoot them into my rhinoblock and they still spin well would you have any concern hunting with them?

To back-check myself I put my magnus stingers back on was getting a great group at 50 yards.

Anyone else have similar issues with the practice heads? Should I put much weight behind how the practice heads group or not really worry about it?

Btaylor

WKR
I would shoot one of the NC's. I would put exactly zero weight on how the wobbling practice heads grouped. Only thing shooting a wobbling head does is confirm that they wont fly right.

mtbshark

WKR
less than helpful post!!

In regards to the op’s question, I would not care about groupings of practice heads. Your fist shot is what you should be gauging Accuracy on. If it goes where your pins is taking into account your normal shooting, then you are all good. To Me that is what the main point of practice broadheads are. I can not remember the last time I critiqued my arrow grouping on an elk in the field.

Well there is my$.02

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Brendan

WKR
Here's my routine.

Bought a bunch of used Slick Trick, Muzzy, some Solids, and have Iron will I'll do all my tuning with. If a fixed blade will fly well, so should the mech.

Then, I'll switch to mechanicals and verify/practice with SEVR because they have a set screw that locks the blades in for practice.

Lastly - Verify with Trypan, and just replace the collar after every shot. I won't test every head, just one designated practice head...

Every broadhead gets spin tested before use.

Then I just have to decide which head I use...

nphunter

WKR
Similar to Brendan, I get bare shafts and then fixed heads flying well first. As far as mechanicals I always shoot the same heads as I plan to hunt with not the practice heads or blades, I have 1 trypan I am using this year for a practice head the others will go in the quiver. I would rather see how the actual head flys then how the practice heads do.

When I'm shooting Solids or IW type heads I actually shoot all of them and resharpen them to hunt with them. For me, it would be hard to be confident in something I've never actually shot.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I always sacrifice at least one head to make sure they are hitting with my fixed blade heads. But the practice head I have for the Rage and the Spitfires both spin true for me.

Years ago when I tried the rage practice heads they were over 5 grains heavier than the actual broadhead. That's all I have to add really. I do what others do. Tune with fixed, shoot a single mechanical I label as a practice head. Spitfire makes practice blades, but they are expensive enough I just started using old bh's for practice instead for the most part.

RAPTOR

WKR
They don't put much effort into crafting the practice heads. Just a mold that they fill and that's it. Shoot the real ones, see how they do and go from there. i put in a ton of shots with Trypans last year, sacrificing an entire pack plus like 50 collars to make sure they were perfect. They were devastating.

OP
T

TX_Diver

WKR
With the fixed heads I have a few for practice then I just shoot the ones I'm going to hunt with 1x before I head into the field.

Will sacrifice a head no problem. I coulda sacrificed 2 instead of the POS practice heads haha. Just had hoped for better. Will throw em on a scale later this evening and check the weights.

OP
T

TX_Diver

WKR
Shot one of the actual heads today on an arrow that spins well.

Between 40 to 70 it impacted about 1-2" right and 1-2" low. I'd shoot the BH, a group of field points on my other target, then pull and repeat. Probably shot it 7-8 times. Probably made a 2-3" group with all the shots at different distances so that's not too bad. Most of the shots were at 50 and 60. Downside is it tears up my rhinoblock bad when pulling it out!!

Will mess around a bit more with the rage's and magnus and post up what I end up shooting later. Not sure what to do with the practice heads... Paper weights?

Block

WKR
I really like the SEVR idea of being able to lock the blades To practice with the exact head you’ll be hunting with... IMO that’s the ONLY way to ensure real accuracy outside 70 yards...

Last year my rage 125 practice heads were hitting ~6-8” low at 80-100 yards,,, weighed them on scale and pretty much every practice head weighed 120-123 grams ,,, while the actual Hypos all weighed 127-130 grams...

That being said,, I’m shooting the NC this year and they seem

enemyway

FNG
For practice sessions for my rage hypodermics i'll sacrifice one or two and superglue the blades. They spin true and wont deploy plus you wont need to use the collar which may compensate for the slight amount of glue.