Rain Gear Follow Up

Matt W.

Super Moderator
Staff member
A few years ago I really dove into rain gear. Obsessive might be an understatement...

I thought I would re-post these reviews here in case folks were still looking at Rain Gear Options. Also, check the Rokslide archives. There are few other reviews out there by several others as well.

Let it Rain! Light-Weight Rain Jacket Shootout - Rokslide
Hard Core Rain Gear - Rokslide

While many things have changed since then, I still find myself with a lot of rain gear. However, I primarily shifted to running Sitka's product as the long term durability has been solid.

It is my experience, and OPINION, that rain gear performs BEST when matched to the task it was designed for. As such one set of rain gear is not enough for the NW / Alaskan hunter. IMHO

When all that matters is staying dry nothing beats the rubber stuff, but when it comes to "breathables" below are my favorites...
Backpack Hunting / Light Weight: Sitka Dewpoint - myself and 3 hunting buddies have beat the tar out this line and it just keeps running. Its light, its durable. Minimalist simplicity at its best.

Base Camp: Sitka Stormfront / FL Seak - Biggest complaint in this line would be the knees. FL's current pant states it has reinforced knees, but I have not had a chance to test these. With the previous generation of FL, and even with Sitka, knees were the part that ended up wetting through for me. Realize that this is because I always wear pants with knee pads (Sitka MT Pant or Timberline) and base camp for me is usually a wet muddy affair. The knees end up practically black and caked with mud. Rubber pants are probably the better bet in this environment.

I have several other pieces of rain gear I tailor to the use (cold weather, quieter, etc.) but these are my main two options. Hopefully some of this is helpful for folks. Look forward to hearing other's thoughts on the newer gear and options that have changed over the years that I did not cover. Also, one of the biggest reasons I really like Sitka is the details. The more time you spend in the gear, the more you appreciate all the little details. Biggest complaint is the price, but if you are a Rokslider you know to never pay retail. :) One of the sponsors always has deal if you watch for it.