Rain Gear...Gore-Tex, Gore-Tex Pro, Gore-Tex 3L-Sitka line. Difference?

Going over the minutia of Rain Gear. I have various pieces of base layer, pants and puffys from the Big 3. But I have no rain gear. I am not a bowhunter per se. If I am up high...it will be toting a rifle. So ultra quiet is not a primary concern. But I would like a fair amount of durability. My proposed kit would be a base layer, FL Sawtooth Hybrid (read: live in this piece 24/7), toss in a puffy (Uncomphagre or Kenai). And I would like a kick ass Hardshell. I do backpack, but I am not a 100 mile in 48 hours ground cover guy. Ounces matter, but I realize I will have to give up a few to obtain a better shell.

Of the Big 3....all have some nice pieces. But I've been leaning toward Sitka. The price makes me sick....but of hundreds of forum pages I've searched....many claim that Gore-Tex is still the name to beat in waterproofness.

Of the Sitka line, I see many different descriptions of their Gore-Tex. Most of my hunting days are actually spent on Waterfowl. Their extreme Waterfowl garments state Gore-Tex 3L.

Others say Gore-Tex laminate. Some say Gore-Tex Pro.

Asking if there are different "levels"? Are there 3 different fabrics? Some stretch. Some don't

And ultimately....if hardshell and 100% waterPROOFness (laughing) is the goal, which garment and/or fabric is touted as more waterproof?

bcimport

WKR
Tried a bunch of it over the years. Still use a Gore-Tex pro shell for skiing. But I’ve settled on HH Impertech for rain gear and an EE windshirt as my go to combination. Never had any rain gear that won’t boil me in sweat if I’m working hard and the GT will fail eventually in sustained Day after Day rain, usually at the shoulder straps. I can wear the wind shirt and not sweat nearly as much 95% of the time. When the weather really locks down and gets ugly I know for a fact the HH will keep me dry as long as I moderate my pace to not sweat. This system is also way way cheaper than a name brand gore Tex adventure too.

mcseal2

WKR
My HH in 2xl was under 30oz, I think 27 or 28 if I remember right. It will cook you if you move but it will keep you dry. I use it and the bibs a lot on the ranch when I need to get something done in the rain. I can't see myself wanting to do anything to physical while wearing that set-up for sure, but it sure is nice to be warm and dry in a cold rain while checking spring calving cows.

I tried a Kryptek Koldo rain suit but it was huge and extremely baggy. The hood is giant to fit a helmet. I returned it, it wasn't what I was wanting.

I bought a Sitka Cloudburst and it's the most breathable of the big ones I tried (Sitka Cloudburst, FL SEAK, Kuiu Yukon). I don't know that it's as tough as the other two, but it isn't Sitka's toughest, heaviest shell either. I plan to take the Cloudburst in place of a softshell on my Alaska moose hunt this fall and still take the SEAK for when it really cuts loose. Anything but HH will wet out eventually I figure so that plan will let me rotate between the Cloudburst and SEAK so one can dry in the tipi while I wear the other.

The 2XL SEAK weighs 27oz, the 3XL (equivalent to FL 2XL) Cloudburst weighs 22oz. The Cloudburst is far more breathable and a little quieter, but doesn't feel as durable. I bought both this winter so I can't speak to durability yet. The Cloudburst is closer to a softshell than a hard shell in breathability it feels like to me. If you want one to stop a 30mph wind over a puffy jacket on an open ridge it probably isn't what you want, I'd use the SEAK there. If I plan to be fairly active in the rain the Cloudburst would be my choice. The SEAK has a hood designed not to limit peripheral vision so it leaves my face a bit more exposed, but is way easier to see out of. The Cloudburst had a deeper hood a little more like the HH, more protection but less visibility. I really wish it was the opposite on these 2 coats for my use.

I got the Cloudburst on ebay at a big discount, new with tags but from an individual. The SEAK is in ASAT camo and I picked it up last fall when they discontinued that patter for $150 off normal price. Deals can be found if you watch. I have less invested in the pair than either of them would cost individually at normal price. My rain pants are Kuiu Yukon series I got from their outlet for 60% off also. I tried and returned a couple brands because the crotch sagged halfway to my knees, not great to hike in. The Yukons fit perfect. If you are patient you can have the top of the line stuff at a decent price, still expensive but decent. I wanted the best for the AK hunt but didn't want to spend all my money on raingear.

Last edited:

Jardo

WKR
I'm not sure what the difference is between the various goretex options, but I have the dewpoint, cloudburst, and a set of kuiu ultra nx. The ultra nx is very thin and lightweight. I would only consider this if you are sitting. If busting brush is possible, it may not stand up.

The cloudburst is my most durable rain gear and goes with me on my elk hunts. It's heavy but it holds up to the punishment.

My overall favorite is the dewpoint. Perfect balance of weight and durability. My dewpoint is a solid so I normally don't hunt much in it but I do lots of hiking in it and it's durable and lightweight. If I had dewpoint in camo, I would probably sell everything and use dewpoint exclusively.

None of these have ever leaked. That said, I've not been in storms that last for more than a few hours though. I've heard of all these failing eventually if the rain lasts for hours or days.

Don't pay full price for Sitka or Kuiu. Watch for sales on camofire, blockovis, steepandcheap, and sierratradingpost. If your patient and have time, you can pick this up for 50% off or more. Kuiu has the ultra nx for sale in their outlet.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk