Rain gear?

I’ve been very happy with the Kuiu lines. I have 3 sets (Yukon, Chugach, and Teton), they don’t all perform the same way, but they all have a place, and serve a particular purpose.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So how would you say each line actually performs? I’m currently looking at these.

So how would you say each line actually performs? I’m currently looking at these.
They all have seemed to perform well at keeping me dry in a steady rain, although I have the least amount of experience with this in the Yukon's.
Other than just day hikes in the rain, the only multi day trip I've had with the Teton's is a 10 day hunt, well above tree line, on Kodiak in Oct. The Teton's performed great with breathability while hiking, and in some pretty heavy rains to boot, but there was absolutely zero brush on that hunt (which their not made for brush busting anyway), so that was not a factor. My son wore the Teton's exclusively on our sheep hunt last year and stayed dry throughout those 10 days. We didn't have tons of rain, but we experienced some, and we hiked between 90-100 miles on that trip, and also went through some pretty heavy, and wet, bushwhacking. He did get several small holes in the pants, on both legs, from the knees down though.
I've been using the same Chugach set now for about 6 years and they have performed flawlessly with everything I've put them through. I ended up picking up another new set for backups when my originals finely die.
As for the Yukon's, I can't really say, as I have only worn them once while whitetail hunting back east. I spent one day in them, in a tree stand, in an off and on, cold rain and had no issues. So far I just haven't felt the need to use the Yukon's much, although as I start to do my mountain hunts more and more, using only one pair of pants, I might start just wearing the Yukon pants more.

They all have seemed to perform well at keeping me dry in a steady rain, although I have the least amount of experience with this in the Yukon's.
Other than just day hikes in the rain, the only multi day trip I've had with the Teton's is a 10 day hunt, well above tree line, on Kodiak in Oct. The Teton's performed great with breathability while hiking, and in some pretty heavy rains to boot, but there was absolutely zero brush on that hunt (which their not made for brush busting anyway), so that was not a factor. My son wore the Teton's exclusively on our sheep hunt last year and stayed dry throughout those 10 days. We didn't have tons of rain, but we experienced some, and we hiked between 90-100 miles on that trip, and also went through some pretty heavy, and wet, bushwhacking. He did get several small holes in the pants, on both legs, from the knees down though.
I've been using the same Chugach set now for about 6 years and they have performed flawlessly with everything I've put them through. I ended up picking up another new set for backups when my originals finely die.
As for the Yukon's, I can't really say, as I have only worn them once while whitetail hunting back east. I spent one day in them, in a tree stand, in an off and on, cold rain and had no issues. So far I just haven't felt the need to use the Yukon's much, although as I start to do my mountain hunts more and more, using only one pair of pants, I might start just wearing the Yukon pants more.
Hey thanks for the info! Sounds like the Chugach are pretty darn tough. Would you say that’s the way to go for as far as the best all-around set Kuiu makes? I was thinking that maybe the Yukon would be too warm for high-activity during some of the early season bowhunts, but maybe that’s the way to go if I just wear a lighter baselayer...

sgnading

FNG
I like my badlands exo kit. lifetime warranty, not a bad investment. Has held up to rain and snow just fine. I have a FL Seak for a bomber hardshell. Works just as good as any other goretex set up.
How warm is the exo kit? Has everything held up well and not making a ton of noise? I'm debating picking the kit up soon but didn't know if it'd be a necessity in Colorado like others are discussing.

K

Kootenay Hunter

How warm is the exo kit? Has everything held up well and not making a ton of noise? I'm debating picking the kit up soon but didn't know if it'd be a necessity in Colorado like others are discussing.

Depends on what you're wearing underneath, as it's more of a light, durable shell. If I used it for colder weather (20-32F) I'd wear a wool base layer and maybe a merino 200 underneath and be pretty darn warm if I was moving. The fabric is that newer stretchy soft shell material with that 'flocked' or 'brushed' softer outside, so no, it's doesn't really make a ton of noise, it's no like a kids walking around in snowpants if that's what you're worried about.

It also has an athletic fit, so the pants aren't super baggy, so that helps with noise too.

I don't know what you're set up would be, but you could always rock a rain jacket and then a hiker/hunting pant that has a dwr coating that will dry fast near a fire. You could wear that in both rain or shine and not have to double up on items.

Gumbo

WKR
I have a jetstream and I would not want to have to rely on it in anything more than a very short squall, and even then I would prefer to put on a shell. I really like the Dewpoint set because it is so light and takes up such a small amount of space. It compliments the jetstream very well and works great when you aren't stuck in extended periods of rain. But it is pretty thin and can't take a ton of abuse.

Hey thanks for the info! Sounds like the Chugach are pretty darn tough. Would you say that’s the way to go for as far as the best all-around set Kuiu makes? I was thinking that maybe the Yukon would be too warm for high-activity during some of the early season bowhunts, but maybe that’s the way to go if I just wear a lighter baselayer...

For me the Chugach is plenty tough for what I’m doing, although if you’re planning on some major bushwhacking, especially through thorny stuff like briers, devils club, etc., the Yukon’s are probably the way you’d want to go. I don’t think the Yukon’s add very much more of an insulating property over the Chugach though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ytlogger

FNG
Aside from the obvious of keeping you reasonably dry, fit is a big deal for me. I have used all kinds of gear. HH Impertech is the best for some circumstances. Not too costly, pretty tough in buck brush and relatively compact, but it doesn't breath and no good as a wind layer. Multiple days of wet on both sides is bearable in a cabin or wall tent situation; not much fun when you are backpacking and living in a small tent. The HH stays at the truck/boat/Argo. I usually look to gore-tex etc for everything else. Kryptek stuff fits me, so I tend to look at their gear. The Altitude seems top end; my SiL guides for a backpack outfit from time to time and was given a set of Altitude last year. He can't say enough good about it. The fabric does what it says it will. Keeps you dry, tough and quiet in the buckbrush and comfortable when packin'. Pretty spendy though. The best raingear is expensive, but what I have realized is that I have bought some pretty good gore-tex stuff but after a couple of years it starts to leak under the pack strap area and back of the neck. I'm in my early 60's and still backpack hunting for a few more years, but maybe not long enough to justify a 600 buck raincoat, so I think age and hours/year of use are big factors. If I was younger, knowing what I know now, I would get the best in water and wind proof, fit, and durability regardless of cost. I suppose that principle applies to everything else too!

jrico999

FNG
I prefer to have a lightweight parka in my pack but you want something that is also durable as well and that won't tear. Helly Hansen makes some great gear but it can be pricey.

I'm looking at the ultralight storm jacket L5 (summit series) from north face but I'm not sure how well it will hold up over time. It's great for summer hikes though as it only weighs 170 grams and easily packable.

I hunt most of the western states for deer/elk/antelope and I never leave camp without my rain gear in my pack. For me it's not only peace of mind but a safety precaution

Jimss

WKR
I've been sheep scouting every weekend for the past 3 weeks in the high alpine country in Colo. Thunder boomers have been coming through just about every day I've been out with rain, sleet, and hail. I would have been drenched several of those days without a rain jacket. I've actually been wearing a Sitka base layer shirt and add the rain jacket in the morning when it's chilly or rains during the afternoon/evenings. The wind often howls and it's super nice having a rain jacket to cut the wind. In September I'll likely start adding a vest or heavier jacket (similar to Jetstream) but I always bring rain jacket and pants.

I use Cabelas Space Rain tops and bottoms. They've served me well for the last few years and are light and don't take up much room in my pack. I'll be upgrading to the FL rain gear for next season probably.