Rain Gear Recommendations Needed, please

Headed to Newfoundland in a couple of months for a moose hunt. Obviously I need good rain gear but I am torn on what to take. Currently have a set of the upper end Sitka stuff that is about 4 years old but has only been used on a few occasions bear hunting. I live in the southeast and rain during hunting season is either very rare OR we have enough flexibility in our 4 month season that we can just sit out that hunt so rain gear doesn’t see much use here.

It seems that the Kuiu rain gear is more popular with the guys that hunt where it’s wet and likely for good reason. For the guys who hunt in the rain more than me in Alaska, Canada, etc which Kuiu rain gear would you recommend? Price is irrelevant on this so ignore that please. I want the absolute best for a fly-in hunt that will keep me dry (from rain and sweat) and will take the abuse.

Thanks for the input in advance.

Carrot Farmer

WKR
Classified Approved
I like my Sitka Cloudburst set… slightly more robust than the current Dewpoint and I’m not concerned of snagging it on brush and tearing

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
Take some rubber rain gear so you don’t get your nice Sitka/kuiu stuff soaked in blood wrestling quarters around. Ask me how I know.

Kuiu Yukon is great moose hunting rain gear. Held up surprisingly well to some nasty Yukon country last fall. I've had mine for 5 season now. But last year was when I really tested it.

Re-condition your older gear

Do yourself a favor and don’t just take 1 single set on your trip. Take 2 sets for that enviro. That way you always have a set ready to go

Then when you get back you can sell the set ya didn’t like to us here

OP
M
Re-condition your older gear

Do yourself a favor and don’t just take 1 single set on your trip. Take 2 sets for that enviro. That way you always have a set ready to go

Then when you get back you can sell the set ya didn’t like to us here

Hahaha. Thanks and good plan.

Thanks everyone.

Kuiu Yukon is great moose hunting rain gear. Held up surprisingly well to some nasty Yukon country last fall. I've had mine for 5 season now. But last year was when I really tested it.
Yukon is my go to on the Oregon coast, it and the kutana is all that lasts at all, and both are pretty solid. The only Sitka I would trust is the storm front, but I wouldn’t trust it over Yukon

I have tried a bunch, and most suck, with very few exceptions. Almost bought first lite omen this year but went with what I know…

As folks have already said - if spending a week or so hunting in NF getting wet is about 100%. Also, the terrain often requires quite a bit more exertion than folks realize. Personally, I’m not a big fan of rubber raingear in that environment, as I really wore mine a lot on my last trip there (Kuiu Chugauch). But as Jim points out it’s a tradeoff, as a set of Helly Hansen is much better suited to breaking brush and packing out a bull.

ForlohFamily

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Headed to Newfoundland in a couple of months for a moose hunt. Obviously I need good rain gear but I am torn on what to take. Currently have a set of the upper end Sitka stuff that is about 4 years old but has only been used on a few occasions bear hunting. I live in the southeast and rain during hunting season is either very rare OR we have enough flexibility in our 4 month season that we can just sit out that hunt so rain gear doesn’t see much use here.

It seems that the Kuiu rain gear is more popular with the guys that hunt where it’s wet and likely for good reason. For the guys who hunt in the rain more than me in Alaska, Canada, etc which Kuiu rain gear would you recommend? Price is irrelevant on this so ignore that please. I want the absolute best for a fly-in hunt that will keep me dry (from rain and sweat) and will take the abuse.

Thanks for the input in advance.

Southpaw5280

WKR
Classified Approved
Im selling a new set of Kuiu Yukon TR Rain Gear. XL jacket and Large tall pants

Macintosh

WKR
Rubber if you want to stay dry from the outside, but you’ll sweat buckets if you merely think about exerting yourself. 3l gore-tex brand pro-shell fabric (not paclite) with a HARD face fabric (not the softer quiet stuff) if you want it to breathe. Have tried a ton of different fabrics and thats the best Ive found. A lot if it is the DWR treatment and exactly which face fabric. Regardless of what fabric, the new DWR’s that dont use the long-chain floro component arent as waterproof.