Rain gear

K_pem

WKR
Good points. Problem is for me, hunting the north Idaho brush is rough on rain gear. Hence why I went with the Kutana jacket. But maybe I’ll go with the chugach pants then, as I use them less often then a rain jacket. I usually run the Talus pants into the mid season wetter hunts. I just wonder how much more durable the Kutana is and if the trade off is substantial enough to justify the breathability loss. That’s what had me looking at the m5 as well, but not knowing what the SG durability is like had me spooked.

Based on what Kuiu had told me, the Kutana was designed for people that needed something tough like the Yukon but couldn’t afford the weight for backpack hunts.

Bobcat

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve been using the Chugach jacket and pants for 3 elk seasons in Eastern Oregon. This past season was pretty wet so I spent a fair amount of my 11 days wearing rain gear climbing through brush and over blow downs. ended up with 3 approximately 1 inch tears in the shins. The Yukon’s would have been nice to have this past season, but l don’t want to pack the extra wt or bulk in September.

K_pem

WKR
I’ve been using the Chugach jacket and pants for 3 elk seasons in Eastern Oregon. This past season was pretty wet so I spent a fair amount of my 11 days wearing rain gear climbing through brush and over blow downs. ended up with 3 approximately 1 inch tears in the shins. The Yukon’s would have been nice to have this past season, but l don’t want to pack the extra wt or bulk in September.

Yeah last year was a wet one for us as well. Glad I bought the Talus. But your scenario is exactly what I’m worried about, I know if the chugach are not tough enough I will destroy them in a couple seasons. I too wish the Yukon’s were more packable/backpack friendly. Got me thinking Kutana once again....

Wildwillalaska

Lil-Rokslider
Ok, so whats the answer? Lots of choices, has to be the perfect single choice right? I know, kidding. Im in the same boat.

Had a Yukon set several years ago, used for one moose hunt, decided to loose about 40% of myself so sold them, then went with the Chugach set that I have used the last three years--albeit the first sheep hunt got a decent cut in the ass-end, and then another on last years sheep hunt. They fared three mountain moose hunts well though.

I want to pick up a new set and am seriously scratching my head. Love, love, love how comfortable, light, packable the Chugach are and honestly kept me as dry as anything I could have expected, including my ArcTeryx Beta AR (which I also love but don't hunt in it as its louder than my darn sleeping pad)--but really want something that is at least a little bit more durable. I'm still a bigger guy carrying more muscle than most folks hiking the miles I do, bring that up solely as a major point--i'm a freaking heater. As I climb I absolutely generate a ton of heat. The big pit zips and double ended zips on the Kuiu help dump heat--but whatever I go with MUST BE BREATHABLE.

I had all but sold myself on the Kutana for this year, but if it isn't breathing better than the tests noted above, I have to think about something else. May have to give the Stone Glacier a try, or just bite the bullet and carry the heavier Yukon pants with a chugach jacket.

Someone above had asked about wearing when it wasn't raining--I will agree with a couple of the responses that I typically don't wear raingear when it isn't raining--I would normally overheat. BUT on both of the last two sheep hunts we had days of incredible winds and low temps where I was simply wearing every last thing I had. So for wind protection, they work well, but the chugach set is very light/thin, has zero insulation properties, so it really would be solely rain/wind protection and thats it.

Would like to hear more from folks who have used the Kutana and SG M5 raingear.

HH393

FNG
If you are willing to spend the money on Arcteryx the Alpha jacket is the best jacket that I have ever worn. I have put one through the worst conditions possible, 3 tours to Afghanistan, countless field exercises, hunting trips, mountain search and rescue, even a whistler ski trip.

The Alpha LT performs very similarly but is missing the shoulder pockets and the hood doesn’t tuck in. I don’t ever tuck the hood anyways so it’s not a key feature to me.

I have used Sitka goretex and Outdoor research but I think Arcteryx is the best. The only downside is the price and that the tag doesn’t say made in Canada anymore.

I have the Katana Storm gear and finally needed the jacket in the back country. I was completely soaked within an hour of medium rain. It really ruined our trip. I have been trying to contact them, but no one has gotten back to me.

Just got a Arc'teryx Beta AR jacket for 50% off at REI and i'm beyond stoked. I've been wanting one of these for years. I bought from the prospective of all round hardshell for mountaineering/skiing/hunting. It's gray, so isn't camo but i don't envision doing too much active stalking in the rain. I live in the SW though, I suppose the PNW would be a different ball game.

Just got a Arc'teryx Beta AR jacket for 50% off at REI and i'm beyond stoked. I've been wanting one of these for years. I bought from the prospective of all round hardshell for mountaineering/skiing/hunting. It's gray, so isn't camo but i don't envision doing too much active stalking in the rain. I live in the SW though, I suppose the PNW would be a different ball game.
I did exactly the same thing-- Beta AR jacket (in Neptune color) on sale/clearance from REI. The clearance was 40% off (so $358.83), but I used raise.com gift cards with 5% discount, and went through activejunky.com to buy those gift cards for 1% cash back, and paid using my 3% online shopping credit card for pretty much 50% off altogether. Very happy, it's working great (and I live in an area that is wet, wet, wet).