Rand glue

My third new pair of new Lowas is already having a problem but they seem to be the best fit for me so I'm gonna live with it and repair as needed.

What to use for repair?

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
5200 black marine adhesive only put it on shit you don't want to come apart.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Akicita

WKR
The Rand is glued on with several processes of heat and pressure sensitive glues. I highly recommend you take them to a reputable and knowledgeable cobbler to have them repaired. Shoe Goo is great for temporary field repairs but rarely holds in high flexion areas. Be sure not to expose your boots to any high temperature sources above normal ambient ranges.

mdog

FNG
The Lowas fit me the best! I have had the rands separate on me with my first pair and have found the best repair glue to be Loctite 380. It's a flexible, fast set, super-glue. Cleaner and easier to use than 5200. Has held up for the last 2 years. The old Lowas were treated with Obenauf's which is petroleum based and I believed dissolved the rand glue. Just like painting, prep is important. I sanded the leather and rand then used a solvent(acetone) to clean both before gluing. The Loctite 380 sets fast so you can hold it for a minute with you fingers/nitrile gloves before moving on to the next section. I have a new pair of Lowa's and have treated them with Granger's G-Max, a silicone base waterproofer. No problem with rand separation!!! Use Granger's on your next pair of Lowas and you will not have this problem.

OP
C
Thanks again for the help. Just an FYI I've only used Nikwak on all three pair of boots and less than 100 miles on these and one of the other pair. I don't mean to sound like I'm complaining either. I'm ok with it now.