Range to practice with this set up

1woolie89

Lil-Rokslider
Hey all!

I pulled a rifle tag for a CA premium, dusting off the rifle and want to get some perspective on the capabilities of this set up.

I currently have a Ruger American Predator in 6.5 cm with a Vortex crossfire II 3-9x40mm dead hold BDC MOA and using copper Barnes Vor-TX LR ammo 127 GR.

(I usually bow hunt 90% if the time so a General tag is newer to me)
-What range should I practice for a clean shot on a Muley?
-I live at 8k feet currently and sighted in at 100 yards, Will going to 10-12k feet effect it that much?
-What would this rig be capable of Range wise (minus shooter error and experience)
-Will be practicing soon as September will be here ina flash.

Appreciate any input fellas!

Realistically I would try to practice out to 350 or so. Unless you put a lot of time into shooting you’re better off stalking into 300ish yards and have practiced that kind of shooting. I don’t trust Barnes for long range terminal performance, hit them in the shoulder is the best advice I can offer on being stuck using them.

280Ackley

WKR
For $220 you can pickup a fixed 6X SWFA with rings. I would get rid of that Vortex and look up the thread by @Formidilosus about mounting scopes. I would also look up his routine for real world shooting practice. It will open your eyes.

WKR

WKR
Practice at 500 or 600, but only shoot a game animal at 300 and in. Unless you are out training everyday. the skills you need to shoot longer than 300 take alot of time to develop. 300 yards and in you can make minor mistakes on wind calls etc...and still be withing a margin of error enough to take a game animal.

I agree that you might want a better scope but its not a necessity. Just practice and maybe consider sighting in for your maximum point blank range with the load you choose to hunt with since you can't dial elevation with that scope.

Good luck on your X zone tag.

200 yard zero and build a dope chart out to 400 tape it to the stock for refence. and watch or learn what to look for with the wind, just because its calm where you are doesn't equate to no wind where your target is.

Ucsdryder

WKR
200 yard zero and build a dope chart out to 400 tape it to the stock for refence. and watch or learn what to look for with the wind, just because its calm where you are doesn't equate to no wind where your target is.
Curious why you see an advantage in a 200 yard zero vs a 100 yard zero and walk around with turret spun to 200 yards, assuming you like 200 for a quick shot to 300 yards without dialing.

A 100 yard zero takes all atmospheric conditions and most wind out of the equation and most guys aren’t good enough shots at 200 to get a true and accurate zero. At least for me, the math with a 100 yard zero is way easier than a 200 yard zero.

khuber84

WKR
I don't necessarily agree with a 200y zero. Atmospherics become variable here. It's very easy to dial 3-4 clicks up for your 100y zero and essentially be zeroed at 200y for walk about hunting.

To the op: the American predator is a very capable rifle. I have one in 6cm that shoots factory ammo exceptionally well. Get a scope that is known quality with an adjustable locking turret. Get a good 100y zero. A 6.5cm depending on what ammo be 1.75 moa up at 200y, 4moa at 300y, 6.75 moa at 400y, 9.5 at 500y. The difference from 8k to 11k da, is going to be less than an inch of impact 400y and in. Learning cross winds affects on the bullet is key. A change of 5 mph of wind can affect the bullet by as much as 5" at 400y. My predator being a 22" pipe, chronod factory ammo 100fps slower than box velocity. Yours will likely be the same. Took out my ammo recommendations, I forgot commifornia is mono solids only. My bad........

A lot of people get a 3 shot zero. This is okay if it routinely will shoot the same 3 shot zero. A 5 shot zero is a better sample size and shows the rifles avg cone of fire better. I typically shoot 10 shot zeros on my match rifles. An even better sample size, but I don't suggest that with the slimmer profile hunting rifle.

Last edited:

WKR

WKR
Curious why you see an advantage in a 200 yard zero vs a 100 yard zero and walk around with turret spun to 200 yards, assuming you like 200 for a quick shot to 300 yards without dialing.

A 100 yard zero takes all atmospheric conditions and most wind out of the equation and most guys aren’t good enough shots at 200 to get a true and accurate zero. At least for me, the math with a 100 yard zero is way easier than a 200 yard zero.
The op has a vortex crossfire 3x9...there is no walking around with the turret dialed up.

Read woolies post, seemed to me he is not familiar with the yardage adjustments on a rifle scope, ranging longer distances and relating to the scope, or how ever he would get a good shot at actual distance, I am a 100-yard zero shooter, saying that I am comfortable either dialing or using a range card for dope. Figured a 200 yard zero would put him in the kill zone anywhere from 100 to 300 yards as long as he watches the wind beyond 100 yards. My first antelope hunt rifle a .308 Remington XCR pushing 165 gr. Hornady SST handload, estimated range at 300 yards, took the shot goat DRT, after taking care of the animal I got curious about the shot, went back marked the spot where the goat died with orange surveyors tape went to where I shot from and used the range finder distance was 316 yards. I believe if he practices as he stated prior to his hunt he will be capable out to 300-350 yards. My best friend same hunt I was ranging (used a range finder on this one) and calling wind his shot was 452 yards dead goat. He was shooting a Tikka in 300 win. Mag. and 180 Hornady SST handloads, we are starting to get ready for this year's hunt and will spend a lot of time at the 400-yard line, With a zero of 100 yards on the glass. The .308 will be a backup rifle this trip, want to take the 300 win. mag as a primary rifle this year. And yes, I know there's a bit of difference between a .308, 6.5 and the 300. I wish him good luck and think a range trip or two and he will understand better as to the distances and how to get there.