Rangefinding binoculars and experiences

Getting ready to upgrade my glass and wondering how many guys are using rangefinding binoculars. Looking at Zeiss and Swarovski. I’ve always run a rangefinder and binoculars separate. I guess my big question is, is the glass clarity affected by having the display in one of the barrels? Glass quality is high priority and I’m wondering if there’s a compromise, and if so, is it worth it for the real world, in-field experience of being able to range a target. I use a Leica rangefinder and it’s three or four power so having a 10X bino I’m assuming would also allow farther away, precise, ranging.

rojocop

FNG
I use a Leica Geovid 10x42 as binoculars and rangefinder and I have for years. I'm a big dude and I can range one-handed. I love my system. I don't want to carry a separate little rangefinder. I hunt the backcountry. I love the Leica Geovid and it's absolutely worth the $$$. Geovid 10x42 and Swarovski HD 25x50 spotter and tripod, and that's all I need for optics.

The clarity of a rangefinder binocular is affected by having the display in one of the barrels as long as the display is positioned properly and does not obstruct the main lens.

probably worth your time to read this thread:

Weldor

WKR
I've run the geovids since they came out, now have a pair of Zeiss. Bowhunted and rifle hunted there'es no substitute for them. IMHO

handwerk

WKR
Big fan of both the Geovids and the El Range TA. I don't ever plan on going back to separate units.. My current Geovids have seen hard use for 8 years without a hiccup. I have other top tier stand alone Binos and in my experience one has to look very hard for any optical difference which translates into about zilch in the field.

eltaco

WKR
The Swaro EL-R optical characteristics are on par with their EL counterparts, but you’ll see a difference in L/R sides on the Zeiss. I haven’t jumped on the bandwagon yet as I like a single handed operation LRF for archery, but makes a ton of sense to me to use RF binos for everything else.

Shraggs

WKR
I owned both the ZEISS victory fl ( 10 yr old or so, still very good glass) and the rf bino. Compared them optically to nausea. The rf uses the fl glass not their latest. There are differences but so very difficult to see, really would need to know to find or objectively use resolution chart at dusk. I’d expect the same for swaro too. The difference between the conquest versus victory is far easier to for example.

That said, for rifle hunting I would never go back to separates. Its a big time savings to make a shot with less movement.

OP
Bezamaelee
Resurrecting this because I am close to buying some RF binos. This thread has been super helpful. I will hang on to my SLC 8x bino and Leica rangefinder combo for now and will upgrade my whole kit to include an RF bino.