Rangefinding binoculars for elk.

OP

36wil

FNG
Man, the thread kinda blew up over night.

To those that took the time to write up some info on their set up, stuff they’ve used, and some insider info I truly appreciate it!

Dobermann I appreciate the drill info and will give them a shot. Your post was thought out, well written, and clearly from a place of trying to help. Maybe I read some of the posts in an unintended tone causing me to take a different posture. But please understand that I’ve found myself on this forum many of times getting into some good information and the thread gets hijacked. I created an account to ask this specific question and try to keep it as information based as possible relating to Binos specifically.

Mxgsfmdpx if you would have read my original post the bull was 75 yards outside of the limit where my current Binos will give me a hold off which is the entire reason on me changing Binos. It’s not a skill shortfall it’s an equipment shortfall. Whether you want to believe it or not if my Binos went to 875yds I’d have a decent 6x6 on the wall. I ranged grass at 793 which gave a hold off and I dialed a little more than what it gave as it was just shy of 100yds over that range. Hey maybe it wasnt the best way to handle the situation at the time but come on dude “not willing to put in the work”? Let’s be real, I’ve had this specific rifle for a year and I’ve put 100’s of rounds through it over the course of that year. get my shooting to a point where I’m right at or a hair short of consistent 1 moa impacts at 1000 yds. I go across the country and hunt my nuts off every day of the season and ultimately miss the shot by a foot because I can’t get an accurate hold off. Hop on the forums to try and make sure this doesn’t happen again and get met with I didn’t want to put in the work. My man, have you never missed a shot before?? I’m making every effort to make sure I’m ready for any and all opportunities that arise and make sure I have the best possible tool to get the job done. What I’m not doing is trying to break a guy down who is trying to better his kit and abilities. So please, if you have anything positive you would like to add to the thread or pass on please drop a comment.

Bozeman. You took the words right out of my mouth. Thankyou for your post and also the opinion.

fwafwow

WKR
Welcome to RS! Like many other parts of the internet, you have learned that here too sometimes less is more. If you don’t want folks to comment on stuff you think is extraneous, don’t include the details that prompt that feedback.

But that said, sometimes people ask the wrong question, or not all of the right ones. And unsolicited suggestions can sometimes save you a lot of time, money or headaches. It happens on RS in almost a daily basis.

And IMHO everyone who commented on proficiency made good points.

Cowboy20x

FNG
My important items for RF binos were:
Clear glass
Good RF and user-friendly screen interface
Ergonomics in hand

After handling all the big name binos, plus vortex and leupold, I ended up on the Revic.

After using them about 4 weeks in the field, I’m very happy with them, when mounted on a tripod they’re excellent for 10x42s, and iv ranged trees out to 2700 yards.

tmorty

FNG
I have only ever used the vortex fury’s but I will say I can’t justify trying anything else out because they work so well. I have several different rifles loaded on them and they all shoot spot on with the given data. My only complaint would be that I would much prefer a simple tiny red dot for target point, rather than the big red circle.
Good luck!

There's plenty of decent RF binos. I'd recommend also putting a dope chart on a name card in a plastic sleeve taped to your stock.