Rapid City hotel

Go West Old Man

WKR
Classified Approved
We will be flying into Rapid City in September for a week of loosely planned southwest SD, northeast WY, southeast MT sightseeing. Inbound flight is late evening arrival so we’ll just do a one night hotel stay in Rapid City, and get a fresh start next morning. Looks like they’re plenty of hotels at the Elk Vale Rd/I-90 area. Any recommendations, comments, or cautions based on your own experience for selecting any of these? It’s just one night so not necessarily looking for the cheapest. Looking for clean, comfortable, quiet, and good customer service. Of course I’ve looked at TripAdvisor & other reviews, but getting feedback from a rokslider is always a big plus!👍 Thanks.

Last edited:

Trr15

WKR
Was there a few weeks ago and stayed at a Tru (Hilton brand) off I90. Nothing fancy, but reasonably priced, clean and pretty convenient location-wise. They have a decent breakfast selection.

OP
Go West Old Man

Go West Old Man

WKR
Classified Approved
Was there a few weeks ago and stayed at a Tru (Hilton brand) off I90. Nothing fancy, but reasonably priced, clean and pretty convenient location-wise. They have a decent breakfast selection.
Thanks. Exactly the kind of input I like to hear, especially from a WKR!

GSPHUNTER

WKR
We rented a cabin east of Rapid city on Boxelder creek. We used that as a base to explore the area and do a little fishing from the creek.

GSPHUNTER

WKR
So you remember the cabin name? Airbnb? Thanks.
Sorry, one of my sister-in-laws set it up. That's the trip we went over to Mt Rushmore. They found their uncles names on the monument to those who worked on the MT. Also found a couple pictures of them working on various parts of the faces.

TSAMP

WKR
Don't stay at the Clarion. It looks great on the website but it was a dump. We had no pillow cases or AC, even asking 3 times. It was a pit stop for a drive to Idaho last June so we were there maybe 10 hrs and just made do. Was refunded after enough calls.

grfox92

WKR
I was traveling across country in late June/ early July. On our way home we shot for Rapid City as our last stop before getting home to Western Wyoming.

When we got into town I started looking up hotels and was blown away by the prices. Cheap 2 star terrible review hotels were over $200 a night.

We ate dinner and I just drove the rest of the way home through the night.

I just checked and prices were way normal compared to that weekend just before 4th of July.

Nice city. We have been toying with doing a long weekend there at some point.

Sent from my SM-G990U using Tapatalk

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
Good timing to go as you’ll miss the crazy Sturgis rally in that area. Most of the locals I know in that area plan on stocking up and not going out while that’s going on.

You’ll want to find a cabin outside the town and stay away from the hotels.

hunterjmj

WKR
Stayed at the same place a couple months ago. Good breakfast. Standard nice overpriced place to sleep for 8 hours.

Curhunter

FNG
Stayed at the motel 6 as a last minute necessity. Do not go there under any circumstances! It was dirty with broken locks,cracked window and pretty sure there was a head imprint still in a pillow on the bed. I slept on top of the covers fully dressed using my bag as a pillow. Might have passed a couple of drug deals on the way to our room.

Stayed in a pretty nice hotel a couple years ago and I can't remember what it was for the life of me, but also stayed at the AmericInn off Lacrosse street last year and there were a few shady looking folks hanging around there, but the room was clean, shower was hot, and it was priced right (after I negotiated with the front desk lady a couple times).

jmez

WKR
Hilton Garden Inn is nice. Off interstate on LaCrosse st. I know the manager. We have meetings there. Always clean and quiet.

Never been in ones on Elk Vale other than the water park, Watiki. I wouldn't stay there.

Tru looks nice and is new. I drive by it all the time.

Sent from my moto g power (2021) using Tapatalk

I usually stay at the Alex Johnson which is "downtown". It's old and historic, so not new or fancy. But kind of a cool old building and near the local non-chain places for food and drink and not on the interstate. Something to consider but probably not a good fit if your plan is just a crash for 8 hours inand out as fast as you can. Have fun.

My cousin is an event planner at Alex Johnson. Nice place. No idea on prices but it does get you downtown which is kind of cool. Like runningwater said, may not fit the bill but it is a Rapid City Landmark. There is also a decent gun shop not far from there. Don't overlook Sturgis or Spearfish. I'm a Sturgis native, but not much there other than Phil Town and a couple of chain hotels although Hotel Sturgis is downtown and is kind of Swanky. High school classmate runs it. Spearfish has a cool vibe. Just don't do Labor day weekend as there is a huge mountain bike race in town. Sturgis also has a big Ford Mustang rally on labor day weekend.

I always liked the Hotel Alex Johnson. Cool, older hotel, but small rooms, smaller bathrooms. Downtown, so walking distance to shops and restaurants. If you just want a place to sleep, the Residence Inn is nice, quiet, good service. Solid breakfast in the morning. Have fun!