Reasonably priced camo/hunting clothes

Sean1

FNG
I typically hunt in the east and do more tree stand hunting than anything else. Next year I may be going on an elk trip in southern Montana on horseback so I thought I might need to update my gear a little.

I currently use some off brand Medalist camo I found at a clearance store. It works ok but certainly does not keep you really warm on cold days. I probably need better base layers.

I am too cheap to buy Sitka or Kuiu, not saying they are not good but I cannot justify that for hunting clothes.

Is there another system or brand that will perform well but might not brake the bank?

I have searched a good bit but really did not find much for answers. Everything has just as many good reviews as bad reviews, maybe I will find the same here too.

HUNT JR

WKR
Not sure what your budget looks like, but if you shop on here in the classifieds you can usually find some pretty quality gear used for a good price.

tony

WKR
I’m still using real tree camo I bought from cablelas 25-30 years ago.
Jacket, bibs, and rain gear.

I’ve been happy with stuff I’ve gotten from Midway, depending on what size you are they regularly have end of season deals that can cut the price in about half.

CorbLand

WKR
search in this thread

TXHunt

FNG
I was in the same boat preparing for the elk hunt we are leaving for Saturday. I had to buy gear for both myself and my son so it was a double whammy.

What I did was watch the classifieds on here, there are some facebook groups that are for selling second-hand high-end hunting clothes, and also watch Camofire and the Black Ovis website.

In the end we have a mixture of Kuiu, Black Ovis, Sitka and some others. All of it was new or like new at less than 50% of the normal price.

Nicaburns

Lil-Rokslider
Biggest advantage is that you don't need camo for a horseback hunt in Montana! :cool:
I will echo the "buy used on Rokslide" sentiment... you definitely won't regret picking up some Kuiu, Kings, etc. here for a song of a price compared to new... it is REALLY excellent stuff!
(I told myself I didn't need Kuiu Merino base layers, Peloton mid layers, and Attack pants but now I wouldn't trade them!)

Curhunter

FNG
I like the Black Ovis wool base layers. Most of mine have come from campfire. After having spent way too much money on the big name stuff I finally realized it's over rated.

OP
S

Sean1

FNG
Biggest advantage is that you don't need camo for a horseback hunt in Montana! :cool:
I will echo the "buy used on Rokslide" sentiment... you definitely won't regret picking up some Kuiu, Kings, etc. here for a song of a price compared to new... it is REALLY excellent stuff!
(I told myself I didn't need Kuiu Merino base layers, Peloton mid layers, and Attack pants but now I wouldn't trade them!)
Very true, but I will use it when I get back home. I do agree camo is probably over rated so that is why I also put hunting clothes. Heck I have hunted many times in a pair of Duluth firehose pants with the fleece lining. Those and a pair of base layers will keep your bottom half very warm.

birdman22

FNG
I own a fair amount of sitka, first lite, ect, but the Kings Camo gear I have seems to good quality at a more reasonable price. probably not the cheapest stuff you can buy, but it holds up well and works just the same as everything else.

I bought some of the Red Head camo bone dry rain gear about 6 years ago & have been very pleasantly surprised at how good it is. I use it a lot every year even if it's not raining & found it to be warmer (= a little heavier) & quieter than most others & it's never leaked. I'd guess they'll have good pricing on it for black Friday too.

idahodave

WKR
Wrangler ATG stretchy pants over merino wool baselayers. I have Sitka pants that I only wear if my Wranglers are muddy from the day before. The wranglers dry way way faster and are 24$. Those with gators have been my go to now.

This. I’ve been laying waste to bulls/bucks this last decade wearing the wranglers almost exclusively. I don’t hunt easy country either.

dave

yfarm

WKR
Wrangler performance pants over army silkweight synthetic base with OR Croc gaiters did fine on a NW Wyoming horseback elk hunt last year. Wore rainpants over the top first 2 days in heavy wet snow mixed with sleet. Top was synthetic base, 100 wt fleece 1/4 zip(old Mtn Hardware used for years) EB 800 fill puffy with ACU Level 4 windshirt on top with rainjacket over that as needed. Very light clothing, easy to move in with total cost maybe $300 and 40% of that was the new rainwear. Temps were low to mid 20s highs 45. Stayed in wall tents with stoves, gloves never dried out, rainwear would dry overnight. Leather boots stayed wet for a week as did everyones. Nowhere we walked, climbed required a leather stiff mountain boot.
Changes I would make: fully waterproof,coated synthetic fleece gloves(https://www.fullsource.com/ergodyne-7501/)Hoffman thinsulate guide pacs with claw sole. Fleece lined wranglers would eliminate the base layer. Cut the rainpants off just below the top of the gaiter with the knee flexed so ventilates better and easier to put on and remove. Guide did the same in essence by wearing chinks. he also used an oversized rain jacket to keep his saddle dry. Not much fun sitting in a wet saddle for 2-3 hrs/ day. Guide asked that I remove the croc gaiters due to noise, he wore Kings 3 layer. Used those this year in NM and much quieter and warmer.

Last edited:

Bump79

WKR
SKRE, Black Ovis, Kings and the stuff from sportsman's wear house. Clearance hiking stuff.

I'd go Black Ovis or Midway light merino baselayers. Pants just need to be well fit, synthetic with stretch. I'd go Black Ovis Cottonwood for lightweight pant (better stretch than Wrangler ATG). Eddie Bauer fleece lined guide pant is $50 in camo right now for colder weather.

Fleece top I could go many ways.. shop around and get one in the 200 GSM range. Easy to find for less than $50. Pnuma 3L rain gear is on clearance often and is really good for the price (not cheap but tough to beat at that price) Decathlon Syntetic Puffy in green.

A system like that is pretty much what I run and it stacks up to a premium line fairly well for substantially less. Hunt more, spend less on gear.

11boo

WKR
I have almost everything from fall to winter from Kuiu And Sitka and got most of it from our classified forum. Really helps in cold and wet Conditions.