Recommend me a zero turn mower

D.Rose

Lil-Rokslider
Looking for a new zero turn. Like to have a high end residential mower and been looking at Hustler, Scag, and John Deere. Looking for something that will last and has a good track record for longevity. I have never used a zero turn so I am kind of in the dark here. I mow about 2.5 acres and just want to get the most for my money. Any suggestions?

I bought a Scag Tiger Cat 52” w/27 Kohler on it new in 2010. I mow 2 properties with it (about 6 acres). All I’ve done to it is replace 1 idler pulley and service it yearly. Have not even had to replace a belt. Great, durable machine. There are a couple things I don’t like about it though. One is I’d prefer a bit more leg room but I’m 6’1”. The other is it doesn’t do a very good job of disbursing clippings if the grass is wet or has a high moisture content. But I’m cutting country yards that have a lot of weed and volunteer grass, not a manicured lawn. It’s also clay soil so it really holds the moisture. It has the velocity deck.

My dad has 2 Exmark Lazers. He loves them. One is over 20 years old and still going strong. He’s cutting about 15 acres with them since they were new. I think his cuts better but his grass is also much much dryer.

All the guys that mow for a living around here use a Toro. I've had one of the commercial models for around 6 years & it's the bomb. I mow about 9 acres total with it. I don't know much about the new models though

Team4LongGun

SUPER MODERATOR
Staff member
I have a toro 42” for 3 acres. It’s been used hard for 11 years and never had an issue. Would recommend it for sure

Claroue

Lil-Rokslider
I bought a scag patriot 61” 2 years ago. Before that I had a toro 54” forgot the model. The toro was comfortable but slow. The scag goes faster and does a better job cutting if that matters to you.

LostArra

WKR
Scag Turf Tiger purchased new 1999
Water cooled Kawasaki
61" deck. No complaints
Clean it completely with a compressor wand after every use.
Engine, deck and air filter

If I was looking today I would consider a rear discharge deck or one with that option. You can eat a lot of grass on a windy day with side discharge and the deck in front of your butt.

IMG_3022.jpegI've been running nothing but Kubota zeros for 25 years. I just bought a new Z781KWTi-60 for my farm. Kubota tends to engineer everything on the heavier side. The unit I just bought is powered by a 30 hp Kawasaki engine and is fuel injected. Twist the key and it starts immediately with zero throttle or choke needed. This is a stout commercial quality unit which is perfectly suited for large residential lawns. Kubota has 0% for up to 60 months with zero down.

I have a Scag Patriot 52"..I have 3 acres...45 min to cut it...had it 4 years still runs like a top. Really easy to service. IMO that's what makes separates a good mower from a great mower...I can do the yearly service in less than an hour, hydro change filters and getting all the air out of system about the same.

Most importantly buy whatever brand you chose from a specialty lawn distributor dealership/service center, DO NOT buy one from a big box store. The thicker the steel on the deck the better. I bought a Gravely residential model and its been a good mower, zero issues this will only be our 5th season with it so far.

pk_

WKR
That Kubota looks legit.

My family had a landscaping company for a few decades. Mostly residential but small commercial properties as well. The exmarks/toro were preferred. For companies doing larger acreage, the scags and Dixie choppers seem to be the weapons of choice.

We had one John Deere it was a nightmare I can’t remember specifically but we were constantly working on it. But that was also 20 years ago and I believe we bought that machine used, not new. But they are almost non-existent in the workforce down here from what I see and I see a lot of zero turns everyday, Scags and Dixies by a landslide…

Good luck they can be fun as with most machines.

I have had a SCAG for 8 years now with the Kawasaki engine and 61" deck. It's been perfect. Just change oil, keep deck and air filter cleaned off after each use. Change blades about once a year and they are super simple to change. Only other thing I have replaced is the battery. It's also nice having dual fuel tanks.

johnsd16

WKR
You see a lot of commercial operations use toro for a reason. Lots of good options have popped up in the last 25 years though. I recently bought a Toro Zmaster 3000 with the 25.5hp Kawasaki and it’s been a beast. Does all the stuff the toros I ran for a commercial operation from 1999-2008. Didn’t need all the bells and whistles the 5000 and 6000 have. Agree with buying from a reputable dealer and having local service available though. I’d let that weigh heavily into a decision on brand.

FLATHEAD

WKR
I have a Kubota I bought new 2/3 years ago. It does cut grass, but I think I've had it
in the shop 4 times. Once for starting problems, one of the steering arms came disconnected,
and 2 broken deck belts. My 4 acre property is all it cuts.
Not exactly stellar performance, and every time I take it to the dealer it's at least a 2 week wait.
Seems they're doing a lot of repair work. I doubt I would buy another Kubota anything.

Ten Bears

WKR
I’ve owned a few Exmarks and both were outstanding. Had a Dixon for about 5 years, metal rotted out on the deck. Currently bought the residential grade Cub Cadet for 3K and have zero complaints. Great mower for the price.

gelton

WKR
I have a John Deere z540M with 56" deck and a 25 HP Kawasaki Motor, the motor is the only thing I really like about it. I have 7 acres and the salesperson told me to go commercial and I didn't. Not very happy with the decision.

I just picked up a 46 hp deere tractor though and I like everything about it.

i.e. Go bigger (overbuilt) than what you originally considered and you should be okay.

stevevan

WKR
I have a John Deere z540M with 56" deck and a 25 HP Kawasaki Motor, the motor is the only thing I really like about it. I have 7 acres and the salesperson told me to go commercial and I didn't. Not very happy with the decision.

I just picked up a 46 hp deere tractor though and I like everything about it.

i.e. Go bigger (overbuilt) than what you originally considered and you should be okay.
GRAVELLY!!!!! John Deere sucks. The one I had spent more time in the repair shop than mowing grass.

007hunter

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve had a Ferris with a Kawasaki engine for 3 years now. No complaints here. I think the only thing I did was replace one of the front caster wheels as it wouldn’t hold air. I don’t cut much but I’m done in 20 minutes and I know that mower will last for many years. I don’t think you can wrong with any of the major commercial brands for just home use.

If you want something that will last mowing 2.5 acres, get a commercial mower, especially if the ground is rough. I destroyed a new homeowner lawn tractor on my property in 1 season.