Recommend Meat Hauling Packs

I’m looking for a few ideas to start researching a day pack that has decent meat hauling capability.

We are likely hunting from a home base cabin but expecting to go deep into public to chase antelope.

Expecting a significant pack-out.

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A day pack sized pack and “substantial” meat hauling capabilities is going to mean a pack/bag that detaches from the frame. There’s a bucket load of excellent options. Seek outside, kifaru, exo, initial ascent, stone glacier are all top tier options (there are probably more too). In my personal opinion Mystery ranch, Eberlestock and kuiu are good packs but a minor step down from the top tier. As with most gear choices in the hunting world there are trade offs with choices and prices. That said those are all brands worth researching.

D

Deleted member 8-15-23

Mystery ranch. Get the 50 liter, all green. If you know a scientist, military, engineer they are 60% off retail. Thats a $400 pack for $190. Has the meat hauling system in it.

Last edited by a moderator:

Duh

WKR
Kifaru duplex light with a Stryker XL would be my vote. It’ll easily fit an entire antelope and then some.

CoachPat

FNG
Classified Approved
I'm a Stone Glacier guy. I use mine for everything. I run the sky 5900 and just compress it down when I'm day hunting. Their frame has been my favorite meat hauler. only drawback is spending hours on youtube learning the configurations--but I'm a slow learner.

Axlrod

WKR
All the top hunting pack companies make packs that will haul meat well. The difference is in how the pack fits you. I have an EXO K3 and I love it.
By significant pack out do you mean miles? Because a B&C antelope boned out will probably make 40 pounds if you don't shoot it through the front or hind quarters.

“Expecting a significant pack-out.” And antelope should t be used in the same sentence. Antelope once on the ground and broken down feels anticlimactic. Almost feels like a waste killing them. “Almost”

87TT

WKR
Never killed a goat but have hauled out elk and deer with a pack. Wouldn't think I would need a special antelope pack.

Look around and check out the surplus Alice frames and packs, get a attachable shelf for it. Large alice pack frame and shelf should set you back less than 150 dollars, Tough as nails and can handle any pack out you may have.

hunterjmj

WKR
If you don't plan to hunt much in the west for other critters I wouldn't spend the money on an expensive pack. Antelope are not significant in size and doesn't take much to pack one out. This was only a mile but was an easy pack out.
IMG_0182.jpeg

Kurts86

WKR
I’ve hauled pronghorn with everything from a frameless random day pack, my Philmont backpack from 15 years earlier to an Exo 3500.

Pronghorn are max 35 lbs of meat and bone quartered out so they don’t challenge many packs. The question really becomes is this a rare western trip or the first of multiple trips/year for elk/deer/pronghorn?

The easy button on for pronghorn is a mystery ranch popup series. They do great work until 50 lbs or so and they are cheap and widely available.

The best antelope pack you could buy today is probably an Exo K4 2200.