Recommend Meat Hauling Packs

Kurts86

WKR
11 lbs. completely assembled. frame, shelf, shoulder straps and pads, waist belt and pad. Can comfortably handle up to 100 lbs of freight.

And a modern hunting pack can carry that much weight on 5 lbs.

I have used an external pack and the whole setup is heavy and awkward while actually hunting. They get hung up in brush and just don’t move well with you. They have a place as a cheap come back for it pack for elk or moose quarters but for antelope I’d rather use a Jansport because the weight is low.

Start with a Stone Glacier frame, either the Krux or XCurve. It's the load shelf your after and your current day pack may very well be able to attach to the frame the way their other bags do.

When hauling out your meat, you will be able to place it between your pack and frame, no need to rearrange pack stuff on the inside.

This could minimize your initial investment this year and then just add the bag next year.

I have both a frame and Avail 2200. The 2200 can be converted to attach to either of the larger frames if that is the route you choose.

geterdone

FNG
Another vote for the MR pop up. I have a 28 and it has been great. Packed out many elk and deer with it, still holding on strong. Had over 100lbs in the pack on a 5 mile elk pack out a few years ago.

Sent from my SM-S911U using Tapatalk

And a modern hunting pack can carry that much weight on 5 lbs.

I have used an external pack and the whole setup is heavy and awkward while actually hunting. They get hung up in brush and just don’t move well with you. They have a place as a cheap come back for it pack for elk or moose quarters but for antelope I’d rather use a Jansport because the weight is low.
Each there own I have carried an Alice in all kinds of situations, some not so good others better never had a problem. Guess it's all in what one is willing to tolerate.

pbaby

FNG
I have a Mystery Ranch Saw Tooth 45, and I like it quite a bit. It's my first bag with a load shelf so I cannot tell you it's the best on the market, but it is a solid bag. It might be a little on the big side for a day pack, but the load shelf works well and it's pretty comfy. W.e you get, make sure it's sized and fitted right.

Rich M

WKR
They don't stand up to much weight? They are apparently rated to carry a lot, but they don't move it comfortably to the hips?
Funny you say that, i went from a pack to a lumbar setup.

The antelope and muley i shot were 1/4 to 1/3 mile from rd so not a big deal…. Couldnt imagine an elk quarter without a good pack.

Funny you say that, i went from a pack to a lumbar setup.

The antelope and muley i shot were 1/4 to 1/3 mile from rd so not a big deal…. Couldnt imagine an elk quarter without a good pack.
I've not seen the lumbar setups yet - sounds interesting! And do you think the F1 is up to hauling an elk quarter or other heavy/bulky stuff long distances?

Duh

WKR
I've not seen the lumbar setups yet - sounds interesting! And do you think the F1 is up to hauling an elk quarter or other heavy/bulky stuff long distances?
I’ve done a fair share of packing with the F1 frame with the team elk pack and I had to move on. That frame and pack is bomb proof but it does not handle 80-120lb loads well. There’s just not enough support or load lifters with that pack. No issue if your hauling antelope or light loads. If your dumb like me and pack an whole deer at a time, it sucks.

Same for elk. 1 quarter at a time isn’t bad but putting serious weight on it just wrecks your shoulders and back.

Rich M

WKR
I'm not familiar with it. Quick glance is that it is light weight and seems on the smaller side. 4# is nothing.

I'm old - have a Horn Hunter Main Beam XL and it rides nice but is old technology and you can likely do better. Wish I had more use for it. Had my wife hanging off it when I got it and the distribution wasn't bad but 120# in the living room doesn't equivalent to anything in the field. Haven't packed anything out with it cause have shot stuff near the roads. Bought it with the intention of doing a 10-day/2 week backcountry hunt.

Liking how the pack felt, I got the drop tine "fanny pack" and use that a lot more - 1500 ci lumbar pack. More of a day pack.

ropeup79

Lil-Rokslider
I have a Mystery Ranch Saw Tooth 45, and I like it quite a bit. It's my first bag with a load shelf so I cannot tell you it's the best on the market, but it is a solid bag. It might be a little on the big side for a day pack, but the load shelf works well and it's pretty comfy. W.e you get, make sure it's sized and fitted right.

I agree. Makes a good larger day pack or a smaller overnight pack. The frame can be used with several other bags if larger or smaller are ever needed.

MT-nuffgun

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve done a fair share of packing with the F1 frame with the team elk pack and I had to move on. That frame and pack is bomb proof but it does not handle 80-120lb loads well. There’s just not enough support or load lifters with that pack. No issue if your hauling antelope or light loads. If your dumb like me and pack an whole deer at a time, it sucks.

Same for elk. 1 quarter at a time isn’t bad but putting serious weight on it just wrecks your shoulders and back.
I ordered the tall F1 mainframe and it was too big for me, the frame was hitting the back of my head. I sent it back and ordered the regular size frame, it came in yesterday, I am 5’9” with a fairly short torso and I have plenty of room on the load lifters. I loaded it up with 60 lbs and hiked the same 2.5 miles trail I hike every day. That load felt 20 lbs lighter than it does in my Eberlestock J34 pack which I have been hauling whole mule deer and elk quarters with since 2017. If you have no room left on the load lifters I’m guessing you would probably be better suited with the tall version of the F1.

Reactions: Duh

jenkinsd

FNG
With the F1, Batwings and Vapor bag you will have endless ways to carrier your load. So many options to fit your needs. On the Vapor bag the female buckle ( compression strap ) comes off to use elsewhere. They made a 4 part video on that set up. Then you have the Molly webbing on the frame that you can attach to. Like I said endless possibilities.

Watrdawg

Lil-Rokslider
Any of the MR Pop-ups would be great. Also the MR Pintler as a larger day pack and could double as an overnight or 2 pack.