Recommendations for a 2 person canoe or kayak

Oregonboy

WKR
Hi guys,

I'm looking for recommendations for a 2 person canoe or kayak. Ideally this is will be for taking my little one out and exploring new areas. I'd like enough room to bring camping/fishing gear (just for a night) so I'm leaning toward a canoe. I'd like it to be light enough to load it onto a roof rack by myself, so no more than 80 lbs.

This offering from Brooklyn Kayak seems pretty sweet:

Anything else you'd recommend?

*zap*

WKR
I purchased a used Osage 17' about 8 years ago and its been great. I made my racks with a slot for the keel and load it upright, much easier to handle by myself. I only load it bottom up if it is raining.

*zap*

WKR
Mine is aluminum, Osagian canoes 70# and I believe 700# capacity. Now is a good time to find used, mine was 25% of msrp.

Conroy

WKR
Check out Golden Hawk Canoes. I have one just under 13' long. It only weighs about 55 lbs and can hold 700 lbs. great boats manufactured in Wisconsin. You can customize them quite a bit if you order one direct.

OP
Oregonboy

Oregonboy

WKR
Check out Golden Hawk Canoes. I have one just under 13' long. It only weighs about 55 lbs and can hold 700 lbs. great boats manufactured in Wisconsin. You can customize them quite a bit if you order one direct.

Did you go for the square stern or traditional?

Conroy

WKR
Did you go for the square stern or traditional?

I went with the traditional. If you want to mount a small motor to one, the square stern is the way to go. It just looked like I would lose a little space with the square stern.

I can carry the canoe, paddles and fishing poles on my shoulder, and wear a backpack with my tackle inside. I've carried it quite a ways and it isn't too bad. Best canoe I have ever bought

I bought an Ultralight Kevlar Clipper Tripper 17'-6" canoe (52#s) this year after using our bought used 17' Grumman Whitewater canoe since 1982 (87#s). The Clipper sure is a nice canoe....tracks very well, light as a feather, paddles very easily, great tractor style seats, excellent bracing you can push your legs against, nice wood yoke, etc. Top quality, made in Abbotsford, BC but also pricey. Only recommended for an electric trolling motor.

The only canoe that I hear that is considered better are the Wenonoh Canoes out of Minnesota, but they are even more expensive based on the limited shopping I did.

Last edited:
Northstar is a great cottage brand. The "Kifaru" of canoes.

I've got a solo canoe from Northstar and have taken it down the Green River, Colorado River and portions of the Rio Grande. I've also got a tandem Northstar (the B17) and it is great for two people and a couple dry bags. Most Northstar canoes come in heavy (expedition) weights as well as ultralight models. I can sling my lightweight solo boat onto my truck Thule rack with little effort.

Educate yourself regarding "rocker" before you purchase. A boat with no rocker will track well on a flat lake and suck going down river. A boat with a lot of rocker will be awesome in Class 3 water and suck on a flat lake. Down-river boats with moderate rocker have served us well and we also use them on lakes occasionally.

Canoes are the 4x4 of the waterway. Reasonably fast and very versatile if you know how to paddle.

rohrer

FNG
I've paddled a small handful of canoes and the Clipper Tripper is my favorite as far as tracking and weight go. Haven't paddled a Wenonah but I hear they're pretty equal to the Clipper. If you're going to be in any rough windy open water or rivers I would lean toward a kayak for the stability, especially if you're planning on taking a little one out.

OP
Oregonboy

Oregonboy

WKR
I've paddled a small handful of canoes and the Clipper Tripper is my favorite as far as tracking and weight go. Haven't paddled a Wenonah but I hear they're pretty equal to the Clipper. If you're going to be in any rough windy open water or rivers I would lean toward a kayak for the stability, especially if you're planning on taking a little one out.

Those look pretty sweet

Backyard

WKR
The most stable out there.

Man some of these canoes you guys are mentioning are awesome! That souris river Quetico looks sweet!

We have had an old town guide 160 (16’ model) for a few summers with the kids. It’s be great and I beat the hell out of it on rocks and dragging it around, but it’s heavy and really is a two man job to load, unload, and carry around at 85lbs I think...

I’m sure it was wayyyyyy cheaper than some of these others listed, but if I could do it all over I would love one of those Kevlar models that’s more portable.

Backyard

WKR
Man some of these canoes you guys are mentioning are awesome! That souris river Quetico looks sweet!

We have had an old town guide 160 (16’ model) for a few summers with the kids. It’s be great and I beat the hell out of it on rocks and dragging it around, but it’s heavy and really is a two man job to load, unload, and carry around at 85lbs I think...

I’m sure it was wayyyyyy cheaper than some of these others listed, but if I could do it all over I would love one of those Kevlar models that’s more portable.
A lot of the outfitters for the BWCAW (Ely & Grand Marais area) in MN sell used ones at the end of the season for a better price.

spc7669

Lil-Rokslider
I had an Old Towne Discovery 169. It was a great canoe and I took it a lot of places. I didn’t have a problem cartopping it solo.

WKR
I'd buy a used Wenonah. They have a variety of hulls and hull materials. Very nice rigs though.

Mt Al

WKR
Lot's of great options presented, I like the one you put in the first post and the cool looking Golden Hawk so far, just my opinion. I don't necessarily recommend it for your use, but I bought a Coleman Scanoe used for $250 over 25 years ago and it just keeps going. Key is to store it inside for minimal sun damage. It was great with little kids because it could fit three of us easily, plus a deer or two. It's very stable, however, it's heavy and a pain to put on a car rack by yourself. The front and back keel have had to be repaired several times (abrasion when dragging upstream) with the Amazon green plastic/flat-head-soldering iron trick.

As with everything, there are a ton of great options and the main thing is that you'll be building lifelong memories with your little one regardless of what you buy. Good on you.

peterk123

WKR
I don't know if was mentioned, or if they are made anymore. Grumman aluminum. Mine is about fifty years old. My grandfather bought it used when I was five years old. I am 54. That thing is so light and indestructible. To this day not one rivet is leaking. I can easily get over my head to load it on and off my SUV alone. Super stable; I can stand and fish from it no problem. I will have that thing until I die. Lots of fond memories.