Recommendations Idaho Mid Oct

fnf01

Lil-Rokslider
Hey all will being chasing elk mid October in Idaho (rifle), first time out west for this flat-lander and not sure if I'm taking to much or too few clothes. Reading on here seems like I should be prepared for 20-70 degrees swings even in same day and depending on elevation. I do run cold especially sleeping or glassing/sitting.

Any glaring holes anyone sees or recommendations on 150 vs 200 underwear or 250/300/350 shirts. Partial to FL but anything goes.

Thanks,

Attachments

• 2019-05-15 13_31_00-LighterPack.png
    2019-05-15 13_31_00-LighterPack.png
    42.9 KB · Views: 65

Brett8133

Lil-Rokslider
I was in 36 b last yr middle of September and we got 2 in of snow one morning . Always be prepared the mountain can throw anything and everything at you !!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Harveyb

FNG
Good advice! Have seen temperatures drop to near 0 at 8k feet on more than one occasion in mid October. Be prepared!

Rmhely

FNG
I've hunted ID in Oct when I had to strip down shirtless to work on a downed elk, fought pouring rain for a week, and humped through 2 ft of snow (barely got out that year). I'd go prepped for anything and everything. I layer down for the hike in, then layer up if I'm sitting. Best piece of gear I have, besides my backpack (to carry extra layers), are some KUIU gaiters.

i Agree with the others above, hope for the best but plan for the worst, in the last 4 years I’ve experienced snow, rain, wind, and heat. Sometimes in the same day, I’ve always brought all gear to Idaho. I rock the 250 FL long sleeve, over top of a 100 long sleeve if it’s cold, or the merino T. Along with long wick boxers, and corrugate pants, I always have my seak jacket with me, and pants. And depending on the forecast I will bring gaiters, we start out well before light, and end after dark and I’ve never been too uncomfortably cold. I personally am running warm tho.

YZF_88

Lil-Rokslider
Last year we couldn't keep our water from freezing in mid-October. That was not fun. I had a Kifaru zero degree slick bag...and still had to throw some hand warmers in it!!

TannerP

FNG
I’m going to agree with everyone above. Last year was absolutely freezing. You may want to add some type of beanie and face mask for glassing.

btplass

Lil-Rokslider
Didn't see a beanie on the list? I wore one every morning and sleeping at night in northern Idaho in mid September. Might want some light to mid-weight gloves as well.

Im a huge fan of the first lite stuff, but there are a lot of options. Merino next to skin, a fleece layer, then puffy, then rain shell should get you through most situations. I like having 2 merino tops (llano and chama), but it's probably overkill.

Darn tough socks are awesome too btw.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

KurtR

WKR
Last three years I have thrown more and more stuff out of the pack for rifle hunt there. Last year was cold slept on snow but the cimaron and wood stove made it fine. Clothes 2 pair of socks one mid weight bottom base and Sitka timberlines over that. Top core light weight core heavy weight and jet stream vest. I use the kelvin active for a puffy. I got some cheap rain pants and Sitka flash pull over for rain or if windy. A little piece of closed cell foam for a glassing pad makes sitting for long durations nice: it works for me I never got cold but I don’t get cold easy and run that system down to the single digits here in South Dakota. Keep from sweating and you will stay warm it’s better to start the morning cold as you will make a lot of heat hiking out there as there are only two directions straight up or straight down. Good luck

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
As noted mid October can bring everything for weather so plan for the worst pray for the best🥳

brn2hnt

WKR
Going to depend a lot on what part of ID, and how you hunt. Panhandle I wouldn't want down, but Southern I might risk it. (others love down, I'm just scared of it getting wet) If you're a big fan of glassing right outside/short hike from the tent, I'd want something for your ears and face. Being able to completely shelter your skin from the wind is huge. To that same end, I'd probably make sure I had some sort of puffy style outer pants as well.

If you hike more than you glass, I'd venture that the long john bottoms might be overkill, unless you like them for sleeping in.

OP
F

fnf01

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks everyone for the input, sorry I didn't get back to respond sooner was out over a long weekend camping with my son, then right in to work. Looks like clothes are not the area to try and cut weight and that's very good to know. I'll be reexamining my list now with this all in mind Thanks!

Seems like I might be in needs of tips for keeping water from freezing, hopefully not, but just in case what are people doing for that. Tips?

bivouaclarry

Lil-Rokslider
For freezing conditions, if you have a bladder with lines, or filter, make sure they are empty of water. Have seen water left in a filter crack it when it froze. I blow out my lines and bring my water in the tent with me at night. I wrap it in spare clothes to insulate. Have still had it freeze solid in October despite precautions. October weather up high is a crap shoot. You want the snow and cold to get animals moving, but too much and you get jammed. Have also had Octobers warm enough to hunt in shorts during the day. You just never know.

tttoadman

WKR
I never set foot in ID without all of this. It is too volatile.
I have edited this to show my gear if anyone is interested
spike tarp - Six moons Gatewood Cape - Love this
Rain Jacket - Outdoor Research Skyward - really like this
Rain Pants - Fjallraven Keb Eco-Shell - really love this
puffy jacket - Arcteryx Thorium - love this
balaclava - Outdoor Reseach (simple one) - really love this
waterproof insulated gloves - Black Diamond Soloist(shell + insulated insert) - like, but not the greatest

Last edited: