Recommended knee brace or knee sleeve for rugged mountain hunting?

The biggest thing that ends up holding me back in the mountains is my bad knees. I’ve had three knee surgeries but they were all pretty minor. It seems like after about four days of really pushing them hard from daylight till dark I start to get some real severe pain, a little bit of swelling and stiffness. Mostly I think it’s tendinitis and just some general inflammation. Has anyone had any good luck with a decent brace or knee sleeve? Did you feel like it made a difference?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtjimbo

Lil-Rokslider
Genutrain makes a knee sleeve that works well. If you go on kenetreks website they sell some knife sleeves I don't use a knee brace but I do for my ankles I use the ones from there and love them. They fit in a boot nice

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

The biggest thing that ends up holding me back in the mountains is my bad knees. I’ve had three knee surgeries but they were all pretty minor. It seems like after about four days of really pushing them hard from daylight till dark I start to get some real severe pain, a little bit of swelling and stiffness. Mostly I think it’s tendinitis and just some general inflammation. Has anyone had any good luck with a decent brace or knee sleeve? Did you feel like it made a difference?

I am 53 had three surgeries on my right knee for torn medial meniscus in 85,86 and 87 all within a week of the one year anniversary. The orthopedist said I could do anything I did before tearing my knee and said NO Knee brace because it reduces the strength in the knee and makes it less stable over time.

I did my first elk hunt in NW Colorado last year and we hunted a drainage that was a 1000 ft vertical drop in 1/3 of a mile and up the other side the same. I prepared by doing kettlebell workouts, yoga and backpack cardio of 2-4 miles 3-4 days a week with each workout often one in the morning and one in the evening. Lots of weighted step ups and while hiking I used trekking poles. I averaged 5-8 miles a day with a 20 pound pack and I was fine.

I don’t know your condition but the biggest thing is to get into as good of shape as possible and talk to your orthopedist for specific advise.

Broomd

WKR
I've found the simplest ACE works well for me, I'm careful to buy the largest I can find as I only need peripheral support. Any more than that and i have issues with tendons behind the knee.

mtjimbo

Lil-Rokslider
Stem cell therapy is the way to go. Have yah fixed up in no time

My right knee started giving me issues after injuring it trail running one day. Now if I go hiking with any elevation gain/loss it starts giving me issues. Back in 2017 I bought a neoprene brace made by Max Self that has 3 straps that hold it in place. This brace gives the extra support my knee needs and now I don't have any problems with it if I'm wearing the brace. I've tried the sleeves and they just don't have the support to keep the knee from hurting. My knee still barks if I got 70+ pounds on my back but still tolerable with the brace. The neoprene braces are around 12-20 bucks and worth every penny. Hope that helps.

Don't know if you have used trekking poles before but this might be a big help to your situation as well. I find going downhill you can really use that pole to take the impact off your knees and it is a big help. Started using them a couple years ago and now they seem to always be strapped onto my pack at the ready.

OP
R
I’m in pretty good shape. Cardio wise I didn’t really have any trouble. I’ve had knee problems my whole life so it’s just been a week link for me. I prepared pretty hard hiking hills that I had around here in Michigan. Stair master, step ups as well. I used a weighted pack but unfortunately it does not even come close to replicating Colorado. I’ve been pushing it much harder this year compared to last summer so we will see if that helps. I’ll look into some of those that you guys have recommended.

fmyth

WKR
Stem cell therapy is the way to go. Have yah fixed up in no time

I asked my orthopedic surgeon (NFL team surgeon) about stem cell injections for my knees and he said they were worthless unless I left the Country to have them done. He said something about a recent FDA ruling that prohibits them from removing your stem cells and growing them before injecting into your knees. He mentioned that most his professional athletes get them done outside of the USA and have good results.

Backyard

WKR
Get a trainer and strengthen your knees prior to going is better than any brace. Your just putting a band aid on it otherwise.

mtjimbo

Lil-Rokslider
I asked my orthopedic surgeon (NFL team surgeon) about stem cell injections for my knees and he said they were worthless unless I left the Country to have them done. He said something about a recent FDA ruling that prohibits them from removing your stem cells and growing them before injecting into your knees. He mentioned that most his professional athletes get them done outside of the USA and have good results.
Yeah my uncle went to Panama or something like that for his. Bad rotator cuff and it fixed him right up. The FDA is always doing something stupid it seems... They say alot of is safe that most definitely is not haha

HuntnPack

WKR
I have found trekking poles help me as well as strapping on a mueller brace for only a short time when descending steep stuff. I try not to rely solely on the knee brace, & don’t wear it for too long. Also I take Wilderness Athlete Joint Advantage, seems to help some.

Felix40

WKR
I had acl replacement and a meniscus trim job about a year apart. I still have really pathetic lateral stability in that knee for some reason.

I have started doing a full support kt tape job on it before I go on harder hunts. It helps a lot and doesn’t get nearly as hot as wraps or braces. It really surprised me how much it helps