Recurve stories

Beendare

WKR
There is a lot of good advice on how to start with trad gear; start light, develop good form, etc.

IME, the guys that don’t develop good form end up quitting.

There are some guys that can shoot pretty good instinctive Asbell style and thats how I started…Until…

I was in a KS treestand my first year with a recurve….a very nice 140’s class buck walks by at about 24y….and I missed him clean…twice, shot right over his back.

That was it, I was done with instinctive…when I missed I had no way to compensate…and the advice from the instinctive guys of, “just shoot more” didn’t resonate with me.

I retooled and followed the good advice of better form and alignment and animals started dying. I went to a Gapstinctive style of aiming- that gave me a reference point.

In the last few years, no misses, 12 critters down….it works.

Story;
I really wanted to kill a Coues deer with my recurve…one of the toughest deer with a bow of any kind. I was making the trek to late season Az and in Dec found a public land spot that looked good….but due to wind conditions, my blind had to be 45y away.

I went home and spent the next few weeks developing an arrow with a 45y PO and shooting the heck out of it from 40-50y. Its crazy how accurate a guy can be at those PO ranges…makes sense, thats why guys stringwalk.
Back at that spot a couple mile pack in- in Jan…sure enough, drilled a quartering away P&Y buck at 47y, that busted his front shoulder on the way out. He practically did cartwheels on the way out of there But I heard him expire 40y from the shot.
C772C198-77F7-4F9C-8EED-A224F0D3A505.jpeg

Beendare

WKR
I should state- before I get blasted- my avg shot is 20y or under.

I love stalking in on hogs that are rooting around. I've had a bunch of those inside 15y.....and there is nothing like shooting a critter at that range...hearing them grunt root and even pass gas- its crazy cool to be that close.
I shot one a couple years back on my buddies ranch in central CA at 12 steps...that pig just looked up like what was that....looked around...thought something doesn't feel right...walked a few steps and just fell over.

The only problem with stalking them when they are feeding and rooting in those fields is they are always moving.