Red Stag Hunt In Croatia/Europe

First time poster but have been on here and enjoyed several of the posts in threads covering a variety of topics.

I did not see a "red stag" forum and I imagine that is because not as many people hunt them as other animals (elk, bear, deer etc).

I have a trip planned to Croatia to hunt Red stag during the roar. September 5th through the 10th which is supposed to be the prime of the rut/roar.

All that said, I would love to talk to anyone who has hunted stag in Europe. I have many questions I would love to ask.

I have hunted all over the nation but never in Europe. I have been to Europe several times but not to hunt.

The final question that I have is trying to understand the CIC scoring system. As some may already know, Europe hunting prices are largely based on the size of trophy you take. I have selected to hunt stags in the 170-199 cic score. Over that and it really gets pricey quick.

That said, I would love to see any pictures of stags anyone has shot that might be close to that size range?

Love to chat with anyone who has hunted stag in europe! Thanks

OP
S
I should have noted, my hunt will be a fair chase free range only hunt. Not a big fan of the estate or high fence style of hunting.

Scoot

WKR
Silas,

Two questions: 1) where are you currently located?, and 2) are you related to Chuck, by chance?

I know nothing about your questions, but I wish you luck and hope you have a great trip! Sounds very fun.

OP
S
I am in Fort Wayne Indiana. Hunt out west every year and have hunted Alaska and Canada quite a bit. Never Europe.... yet!
I wish Chuck was my uncle but unfortunately he is not:(

OP
S
Not an expert but I would say that is lesser of average representation Red Stag bull.
You are partly correct. The majority of red stags most see taken are actually estate or high fence rances.

No better example of this than New Zealand. I was saddened to learn that the majority of stags taken there are in high fence operations.
They do have free range stags but they are very different animal.

Free range stags from Europe (where they are truly native and originate from) range from 5 to 10kg in size. 280 to 340 sci

I'm just looking for some people who have harvested stags in this size range to see what a stag of that size looks like.

Outfitters show images of stags and state the average stag is in this range (sci of 280 to 340) but don't send reference photos of each so give a idea of what a 280 vs 340 stag looks like.

I would love to have some idea so when I am hunting I have some idea or reference ahead of time if that makes sense.

GSPHUNTER

WKR
My nephew lives in Ft. Wayne, works at GM plant. Good luck on any hunt you may undertake.

17Hunter

FNG
I was in Croatia and Slovenia spring of 2022. Not hunting, but we did see a group of 10 red stag, 1 good bull, in Slovenia and tons of Roe deer in Croatia.Good luck! Croatia is beautiful country, both the coast and the mountains.

Suera

FNG
Hi, I never hunted in Croatia but I'm from Spain and I hunted here many red stags and also in other European countries. If you hunt red stag between 170-190 points CIC this is very strange.... Because 170 bronce medal trophy, 173-180.99 is silver medal and 181-190 is gold medal trophy.
Like you can se the size between a bronce medal trophy or a gold medal trophy changes a lot. Maybe you but a no limit points permit, I don't know, try to explain better and I could help you.