NZ Red Stag Hunting (Haast Roar Ballot)

Hello Guys,
I am reaching out to ask if some of you have some experience with the Hasst Roar Ballot,
Long story short. I did contact a few weeks ago some people in NZ and my son and I are planning a trip to NZ for red stag DIY.
I was told to apply for a Haast Roar Ballot and we did get picked for a location, I do have till the end of the month to confirm the spot. My question is not about logistics and equipment, but if any of you have ever done something like that and can help us answer some questions about the whole process.
Thank you so much for any info.

Weldor

WKR
look under the search forums, I thought I read a account of diy awhile back.

bbckfh

Lil-Rokslider

There was also an article on meateater called “The dirtbag’s guide to diy hunting nz”, but the link refreshed on my phone and now I can’t search it.

CB890

FNG
Kiwi here, have hunted Haast ballot a few times. What do you want to know

abbrown

Lil-Rokslider
I wouldn't waste your time with those ballots, there are other places you can DIY that aren't controlled and will have better stag potential. West Coast has good animal numbers and I've definitely seen a few big boys come out of there, but the antler potential isn't as good as other areas in Otago and Canterbury. A lot of those areas are helicopter hunted the rest of the year which takes a toll on the animals.
Best plan would be to contact a helicopter pilot and have them fly you in somewhere, it's remarkably affordable in NZ compared to flights here and such a great way to access less used country.

OP
R
Kiwi here, have hunted Haast ballot a few times. What do you want to know
Hi, thanks for your reply,
I do have a few questions.
any experience with block 37 Charlies ponds?I drow that unit. besides topo maps, no other info can't be found.

OP
R
I wouldn't waste your time with those ballots, there are other places you can DIY that aren't controlled and will have better stag potential. West Coast has good animal numbers and I've definitely seen a few big boys come out of there, but the antler potential isn't as good as other areas in Otago and Canterbury. A lot of those areas are helicopter hunted the rest of the year which takes a toll on the animals.
Best plan would be to contact a helicopter pilot and have them fly you in somewhere, it's remarkably affordable in NZ compared to flights here and such a great way to access less used country.
Thank you so much for your info.
So your point is I shouldn't bother with that Ballot? The point is I have never been in NZ, the ballot we drew is for the last week of ballot hunts.I did contact one heli company but that was just for specific to fly us to this location. You are saying if I ask the people up there can take us to some remote spots, where we would have a better chance?
My son (13)and I planning this trip and doing as much research as we can, and if we make it, would like to try for Redsatg, chamois or Thar once we are there.
Any other opinion or help really appreciated.
Thank you

CB890

FNG
Hi, thanks for your reply,
I do have a few questions.
any experience with block 37 Charlies ponds?I drow that unit. besides topo maps, no other info can't be found.
Not that block, have hunted upper te nahi which is quite close. Pretty hard to find info on any of the blocks.

That block looks pretty steep, so accessing the alpine would be pretty difficult, if no impossible. This would limit you to bush hunting and hunting the river flats. This could be productive, will depend on animal behaviour in this block.

I agree and disagree with the reply further up. The blocks aren’t a waste of time, but you need to know where to hunt and how to hunt them.
However, if coming all the way to NZ for a DIY hunt on red stag this would not be my recommendation. The terrain and the weather are pretty brutal in this area

CB890

FNG
Thank you so much for your info.
So your point is I shouldn't bother with that Ballot? The point is I have never been in NZ, the ballot we drew is for the last week of ballot hunts.I did contact one heli company but that was just for specific to fly us to this location. You are saying if I ask the people up there can take us to some remote spots, where we would have a better chance?
My son (13)and I planning this trip and doing as much research as we can, and if we make it, would like to try for Redsatg, chamois or Thar once we are there.
Any other opinion or help really appreciated.
Thank you
Taking into account this info, I would be inclined to recommend the lake Sumner RHA. I think you’re experience hunting that block in that period doing DIY you may not have the experience you’re after.

Not that the RHA will be a walk in the park, but the area holds better animal numbers, and more hospital weather and terrain

OP
R
Not that block, have hunted upper te nahi which is quite close. Pretty hard to find info on any of the blocks.

That block looks pretty steep, so accessing the alpine would be pretty difficult, if no impossible. This would limit you to bush hunting and hunting the river flats. This could be productive, will depend on animal behaviour in this block.

I agree and disagree with the reply further up. The blocks aren’t a waste of time, but you need to know where to hunt and how to hunt them.
However, if coming all the way to NZ for a DIY hunt on red stag this would not be my recommendation. The terrain and the weather are pretty brutal in this area
That is very helpful, thank you. So the other area would be more suitable for us,?i will look into it,
We really like to pull it true and make it happen, but on the other side be also on the safe side, work hard, hunt, and have a great time,I know we can't predict the weather,that's why I appreciate those key points.

CB890

FNG
That is very helpful, thank you. So the other area would be more suitable for us,?i will look into it,
We really like to pull it true and make it happen, but on the other side be also on the safe side, work hard, hunt, and have a great time,I know we can't predict the weather,that's why I appreciate those key points.
Yes I should think so. I have only hunted the other area once but the alpine is more forgiving.

Yeah fair enough. The weather on the West Coast is more unpredictable and generally more intense. The weather on the east coast is more predictable and generally less intense. The Haast ballot blocks are right on the West Coast. My other recommendation is east coast.

Id suggest talking to a helicopter company if you plan on hunting lake sumner RHA. A lot of kiwis will come out of the wood work to hunt the roar. So it maybe harder to find somewhere that doesn’t have hunters heading into… that’s the benefit of the ballot system