Redding die question

eric1115

WKR
Ok, so I have what is probably a dumb question, but I haven't been able to find an answer.

Why are the Redding Competition bushing neck dies cartridge specific? If the neck die isn't supposed to touch the shoulder, why does it matter what the body of the case is?

Obviously the body die needs to be cartridge specific, and a FL die needs to be, but what does a .243AI neck die do vs a straight .243? Is it just a matter of supporting the body to make sure the neck goes through the bushing straight and centered?

DaveCB

FNG
A standard full-length sizing die is machined to size a case to standard dimensions, regardless of case thickness. As far as the main body of the case goes.
bushing dies size the neck .001 to .003 that eliminates the expander being pulled up through the neck in turn results in less sizing of the neck. some shooter reloader turn the necks to under .010" to control neck tension.
If you are not turning necks to fit a custom chamber, just go with the standard bushing for that caliber.
The other option is to get a Lee collet die and size to a mandrel to control neck tension.
hope I didn't confuse you more.
The 243Ai 40* shoulder sets the shoulder back according to how you have it adjusted.
A 243 standard die will change the shoulder and make it longer.

Last edited:
I think the shoulder of the AI case will foul inside a 243 die
I have used bushing dies for may uses that they were not specific for
223 and 22/250 with a 6BR die
243 in a 708
Multiple magnums in a 300 WSM
Sometimes you need to buy a different length decapper stem