Reduce the chance of getting scammed

CorbLand

WKR
I have been hesitant to post anything like this for a couple reasons. 1. I am not the authority on this subject, but I have been around the block a time or two buying/selling for over 15 years on the internet. 2. Scammers read stuff like this and learn from it. But I have watched a lot of people get scammed here and quite a few are avoidable.

With that, here are some things that you can watch for

• If you post a WTB thread, you have to be on your game. These are scam magnets. Scammers search for these specifically and they magically have exactly what you are looking for.
  • If they joined relatively soon and have a low number of posts, be on your guard. Join date isn’t the best way to determine as scammers will create several accounts and let them sit for months, sometimes years. Read the posts, do they make sense? Are they generic and only on generic topics? Copy and paste some of their posts into Google. Did they copy and paste them from another forum?
  • Do they use words not commonly used. Think to yourself. Does the average person speak like this? In 32 years, I have never had someone ask me to “kindly send them money” that was legitimate.
  • Feedback. Rokslide has a feedback system, use it. If they don’t have feedback, be on your game. If they have a low amount of feedback, be on your game. Check who left them feedback. Was it a bunch of other recently joined members?
  • Do they PM you and immediately try to take the conversation to an email or text message? They do this to get the communication off the forum because they will most likely get banned soon. They want to work as many people as they can and its hard once they get banned.
  • If their friend has one, you just need to email or text them at …… It’s a scam.
  • A piece of paper with their name, date or anything is very easy to photoshop and add to a picture. Some are very good at photoshop, and it is very difficult to tell if it’s been photoshopped.
  • Do not post your phone number in your threads. Only give that out via PM.
What you can do to verify

• Phone call, facetime is the best.
  • Only pay with Paypal Goods and Services. Buying online is a risk and many ask for Friends and Family. If you aren’t willing to risk it, walk away or offer to pay the fees for the seller. (If they don’t want that, it’s a good indication)
What to do if you get scammed

• Report them immediately. They need to get banned so they can’t get someone else. You can report them by going to their profile and reporting them.
  • Starting a thread, with the username in the title is a good way to get others’ attention.
  • Don’t feel bad or be embarrassed. Some scammers are good and if you play the game you will probably get burned. We can only help each other by bringing it to people’s attention.
In the end, remember that most of the time you are not looking for something unique, there is someone that is more credible that has your item and will come along. If it’s too good to be true, it probably is too good to be true. Only you can protect yourself.

MODS, if you dont want this posted, no hurt feelings if you delete it. I tried to keep it generic and not out majorly unknown tactics.

Last edited:
OP
CorbLand

CorbLand

WKR
I wish there was a way to be “Classified Approved”. Pay RS $5, provide some kind of proof, get “Classified Approved”. I’d do it and buy and sell with confidence in people who have the tag.
There is but it’s 50 bucks I believe.

Somebody looking for an easy side gig could be a RS-approved mediator/reshipper for high dollar items. $50ish to receive items then wait until funds are approved at the seller's end and then reship the item to the buyer. That way neither party has to take the risk to commit first.

2muchhp

WKR
Never thought of this, good tip!

"Check who left them feedback. Was it a bunch of other recently joined members?"

Last edited:

WKR

WKR
See i disagree with the goods and services part.
As an honest seller, friends and family protects you from a dishonest buyer who can then file a claim through their financial institution, get refunded the money from your account, and say they either never got the item or it wasn't what they expected.

I've had it happen and thats why I always insist on F&F

OP
CorbLand

CorbLand

WKR
As an honest seller, friends and family protects you from a dishonest buyer who can then file a claim through their financial institution, get refunded the money from your account, and say they either never got the item or it wasn't what they expected.

This was written from a buyers perspective. There are legitimate reasons to want FF, I ask for it for the reason you posted but if am a buyer and I can’t trust the seller, I am going to pay GS and pay the fee for them or find someone else.

WKR

WKR
This was written from a buyers perspective. There are legitimate reasons to want FF, I ask for it for the reason you posted but if am a buyer and I can’t trust the seller, I am going to pay GS and pay the fee for them or find someone else.
Ok fair point, I just saw in the original post that you stated if the seller is insistent on f&f that is a bad sign, so I just want to reiterate that it's not always the case and can be used to protect the seller.

Hnthrdr

WKR

Exactly. Not on this sight but some dork did me dirty on a MR pack… lying SOB essentially stole the pack from me…

ckleeves

WKR
I learned this year (from EBay of all places) that with the professional scammers using PayPal G&S is no guarantee your going to get your item and doesn’t offer near as much protection as people think.

They aren’t stupid and are somewhat pros at it. They will find an empty lot in a subdivision with a PO lock box and mail an empty package to that address and then upload tracking after you have filed a claim that shows delivered. PayPal will side with them without really reviewing the case at all.

I finally won but it took months and my case was ruled in favor of the seller several times. I had weights of the real item, weight of the scam package shipped, (my item was 55lbs, package shipped was 13oz) printouts of the tracking, pictures of the empty lot it went to with the address visible and they still sided with the scammer until I finally got the right person.

I bet I had 30 hours tied up in going to different PO’s, figuring out where it went, calls, emails, live chats etc with PayPal and eBay, pictures of the lock box with a tape measure, dimensions of the real time ( it couldn’t fit in the lock box if you were a magician) and I was still losing until I finally got lucky with the right person.

"You can't cheat an honest man."

This saying is common amongst con-artists and scammers, and is a kind of shorthand for saying, "You can set up a trap for people who are greedy, or are willing to bend the rules, or who think they can take you for a ride - these are the easiest to scam."

People get suckered into this trap by someone posting a killer deal on something that is way below market value or for a limited time ("everything must go now or I'll just keep it while I move"), or posting some type of "I inherited this thing/not sure what I've got here..." ad that is also asking way below market value.

If the ad is too good to be true, if there's enticement to bend rules, if it makes you feel like the smart one spotting an ignorant seller, or if it doesn't give you enough time to do your due diligence, be on guard.

cardiac5

Lil-Rokslider
If you are shipping something make sure you mail it to the address provided through PayPal by the buyer. Friend sent a guy something to an address that wasn’t the PayPal provided one due to buyer request and they turned around and said they didn’t get it so he never got paid for the item. He had proof that it was delivered to the buyers requested address but since it wasn’t the PayPal one he lost the case.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cardiac5

Lil-Rokslider
Also what’s the best way to purchase a firearm and be protected on here? I always shy away from private party if it’s not local.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Burnsie

Lil-Rokslider
I read a similar thread on a traditional bow hunting site and one gentleman had a real good idea.
He agreed a piece of paper with the sellers name and date can easily be photoshopped into the picture. His solution was the following:

"The absolute scam proof tactic ,ask if the bow is handy. If they say “yes” think of any household item. Ask them to put the item of your choosing on the grip of the bow and send you a picture. If they stall, stop responding, or come up with excuses. It’s a scammer. Name and dates on paper are be easily and well photoshopped. Abstract household items are not as easy to photoshop under a time constraint of a few minutes. I have yet to be scammed doing this method and I’ve bought about 30 bows in the last calendar year."

He is referring specifically to bows, but I'm guessing it could apply to most anything.