Reflections from an unsuccessful hunt. Learn from my mistakes and help me learn too!

FYT

Lil-Rokslider
“I had taken a moment too long, the bull was quartering quickly away. I knew I couldn’t responsibly take the shot…I had done just enough right to get the chance, and I had done just enough wrong to blow it.”

WARNING- This post is overly detailed. I can’t help myself. But, if you’re interested in spending some time in the off season living a hunt vicariously, then here’s your post. Grab some whiskey, settle in, and I hope you’ll read and enjoy. Also, I posted this on another hunting forum, but just joined here recently and figured I'd share it here too.

I wanted to share my experiences and reflections on my most recent hunt because I selfishly want to hear from people much more experienced than I am about the mistakes I made so that I hopefully can avoid those mistakes the next time.

A little context- I’m pretty novice. I’m only in my 3rd season hunting Elk. I have only hunted public land and always DIY (with lots of help from a knowledgeable/experienced brother who lives 4 states away). I live in the central mountains of Colorado and hunt in the unit where I live. Unfortunately, I’m a school principal and fall is a damn busy time for me, so I hunt hard on weekends and evenings but my time in the field is limited. Also, this was during 2nd season (OTC). I had messed up my tag application and didn't get 1st season, which is my preference.

A buddy from out of town drove in to tag along on opening day with me and we hunted an area where I had scouted the most and saw the most sign. We got on the road around 4am and were solidly in place where I wanted to hunt by about 15 minutes before shooting light- I wished we had gotten up sooner. I’m amazed by how fast those hours on opening morning go. Before we knew it, it was 10:30 and the best window of the day was gone.

We hunted hard all day, moving around quite a bit- spent some midday hours of sneaking through timber, then still hunting through aspens, and sitting on a travel paths in the evening; the most excitement we got was a nice Mulie’s butt as he was stotting away from us.

Opening day was done for. We drank 2 of the little whiskey bottles we brought as we sat for the last hour of the day; they were supposed to be saved for the celebration of my first elk. I made sure to save one for me, hopefully to drink the next day…

My friend had to take off early the next morning and this is where the story get’s a little more exciting. My plan was to go back to where we had hunted the day before but to hunt it in a different way.

I drove to the trailhead in total darkness. As I’m driving the last bit of pavement before it goes to dirt, a weird shape catches my eye in the field to my left. And then another. Didn't seem like moo-cows. I hit the brakes, reversed, and angled my truck to see into the field. I find myself looking at two mature bulls, about 10 and 30 yards off the road respectively. Neither are massive, herd-bull types, but they were both at least big-bodied 5x5, maybe better (I think one was a 6x6).

I immediately marked the spot on my map. I knew they were on private the second I saw them and my map confirmed that, though I wish I had spent a little more time studying the map in that moment. Mistake #1.

I had my plan in place for the day, and seeing a few bulls on private wasn’t enough to shake me off it. I went and hunted the morning, but I kept thinking about those bulls.

Eventually, the thought was pulling me enough to get me to walk out of my morning spot by midday. I went home, studied the map, and made a plan. The private that I saw the bulls on had some public butted up to it, and I suspected that they were bedding up on the public land above it and feeding out onto the private at night. I planned to hike up the backside of the ridge that overlooked the private and hoped to see them getting out of bed from above them.

I bushwhacked through some really steep and nasty stuff (Oakbrush, why are you so evil…?) but finally found my way up to the ridge to a great glassing spot.

I got glassing and only about 5 minutes in, out steps a bull right into my bino view. And then another. And a 3rd. My heart skipped a beat. I realize how novice this sounds (and is), but in my 3 years of elk hunting this was the first time I had even seen elk in the field during the season. I watched them for a short time; they sat down on a little bench on the back of a small knob. I was able to use the topography to pinpoint where they sat down. It was 1.21 miles away. I was well above them on the ridge, but by that time I only had about 55 minutes of legal light left. I was between them and the field of private I saw them on that morning, so if they were on the same program then they should be heading toward me.

I knew they must be moving toward me and I thought I might have just enough time to catch them before shooting light ran out or before they got to the private. Here was the situation on the map:

I was off the ridge and on my way. Huffing fast and hard toward them was such a departure from the way I had been used to walking while hunting- I couldn’t care less about how loud I was being, I just had to cover as much ground as I could and hope that the elk were doing the same thing.

The whole time I’m doing this, I’m exhausted. I had to stop more often than I would have liked- I had come down steep skree initially but then was bushwhacking through oak brusk again and having to side-hill/make up elevation again to stay on the right track. I also had to continually make sure I wasn’t getting too close to the private that was below.

As I’m working along, I keep telling myself over and over- “don’t take a shot you’re not confident in. Don’t take a shot you’re not confident in” and I knew how tired and juiced up my body was. I told myself that I had to have something to rest my gun on for the shot, if I were to get one. “Right now, with the exhaustion and adrenaline, you CANNOT take a free standing shot,” was the definitive thought I had. I wish I hadn’t been so conclusive on that decision in my head at that point, mistake #2.

I stopped to check my map and catch my breath, there were about 15 minutes of shooting light and I still hadn’t come across the bulls. I wasted a few minutes then deciding what to do- should I sit on this little clearing and hope they come to me? Should I keep moving toward them?

After changing my mind a few times, I decided that there just wasn’t the time for me to wait- I had to keep moving toward them.

So, I had a little more than 10 minutes of light. It was now or never. I followed the sage brush road that I inferred they were traveling, which was gently sloping up to a small false ridge above. As I went up toward the ridge, I had my brother’s voice in my head, “SLOW DOWN. GO SLOW WHEN CRESTING. SLOW DOWN.” Especially as I got to the top of the false ridge, I emphasized this in my head.

The wind was PERFECT by the way- I was heading straight into it as it poured downhill.

Welp, I didn’t slow down enough. MAJOR mistake #3. As I crested the ridge, I heard movement first, then I saw the first bull. He saw me and spooked about 15 yards uphill and behind a tree/bush. He then stuck just his head/neck out- it looked just like this (this is my own photoshopped reenactment haha, the bull wasn’t this big but he was sure big enough to have my heart beating a hundred miles a minute):

This is where the whole encounter is a bit of a blur for me, here’s what I think happened: I got my range finder out to get a sure range. I should have just known the shot was within a distance that I didn’t have to do much adjusting up or down because he was close enough, but I felt the need to range anyway. My rangefinder was acting screwy in the low-light and the whole screen was red, but I was able to finally figure that he was a little over 150 yards. (pseudo mistake- I should have had a better feel for the range).

(continued in next post)

OP
FYT

FYT

Lil-Rokslider
(continued)

Keep in mind- this is my first real chance at filling an elk tag in my life and I definitely panicked a bit. Because I had been so forceful with myself in deciding that I couldn’t attempt a free standing shot, I tried to get prone. I was right on the edge of that mini false-ridge that allowed me to have an uphill view of the elk. I *tried* to get prone, but my big frame pack wouldn’t let me see through my scope. I had made a huge mistake in not taking my pack off right away and using it as my rest. (Mistakes #4 and 5- not taking pack off, not using pack as rest). I was finally able to get a good view through my scope and my 3-5 second window with him broadside had come and gone. I didn’t think quickly enough to get out my cow call and at least try to stop him, mistake #6.

I had taken a moment too long, the bull was quartering quickly away. I knew I couldn’t responsibly take the shot…I had done just enough right to get the chance, and I had done just enough wrong to blow it.

Yet another mistake I made was not considering a neck shot. As I have told this story to more experienced hunters, they’ve made it very clear to me that at 150 yards the neck shot would have been viable as he was staring at me from behind the bush. That was the longest window of time that I had while he was still but I didn’t even consider taking that shot. Mistake #7

So, that bull was gone but there was still a slightly smaller bull hanging out a little above where that one stared me down. He was so restless after his buddy bumped off that he just wouldn’t stop and kept moving up the hill and away from me. Bummer. Chance had, chance missed.

My final mistake was not waiting long enough before walking out. I waited 10-15 minutes but I had to walk in the direction that I had bumped the elk. I’m almost 100% sure they didn’t wind me in the initial encounter, but then as I walked out I ended up bumping them hard and I’m pretty certain they did wind me then. I ended up hunting this area more days this season, hoping I would catch them doing the same thing, but on reflection I wonder if this hard bump as I walked out moved them elsewhere. Mistake #8

So, I did some things right. What I was proud of was the fact that I got a little lucky to spot these elk on my morning drive, but I parlayed that luck into a legit chance at a nice bull. But, I made way too many mistakes and ultimately didn’t deserve that animal. Here they are summed up:

Mistakes

1) When I saw the elk in the morning, I should have taken more time to predict what they were doing and I could have realized that there was public access right near where I was and had a shot at them.

2) On my hike toward the elk, I was so definitive in my head that I would not allow myself to make a free standing shot. I wish I had at least pulled my gun up and seen how it felt. I think I’m responsible enough to not pull the trigger, but I needed to trust myself to at least give it a look.

3) My biggest mistake overall- I simply did not slow down enough when cresting the false ridge. Needed really, really put the sneak on, especially because I knew that if they weren’t beyond that ridge I wouldn’t have had enough time anyway.

4) Psuedo mistake that comes with more experience- should have had a better feel for the range instead of fumbling with my range finder.

5) Didn’t take off my pack right away when I encountered the bulls. I would have had time and I think it would have helped majorly.

6) Related to the above, I didn’t have a rest to shoot from and my pack would have worked perfectly.

7) Didn’t try to cow call to stop the bull as he quartered away.

8) Didn’t consider a neck shot, even though it was viable and possible even preferable for that situation.

9) Didn’t wait long enough before walking out and hard bumped them.

Thanks for reading this far if you did! I’d love any feedback, reflections, or discussion on what I could have or should have done differently. I’m always looking to learn fro mistakes and, just as importantly, from more experienced hunters. Would love any knowledge you’re willing to share. Thank you!

I am not sure where you were in the season, but assuming that you still had time to hunt, I would have simply watched them and noted the route they took, and then came back for them the following weekend (I assume). I am make some assumptions here, so let me clarify. I assume that you will be hunting this yearly. So with that assumption, from my perspective, I take a long tern approach. If this area does not get much pressure, it is likely that the elk will follow the same pattern pretty much every season (dependent on weather). As such, sitting and watching would have provided extremely valuable information, and info on how to enter and exit without stinking up their travel area. This info would likely be good for years to come. So in short, you would not have had an opportunity using my suggestion(s), on that encounter. But it would have opened the door to more encounter in the future, and likely significantly increased your odds of future success.

Bumping animals you are actively hunting (as opposed to just scouting), is never a good idea. That hard bump likely resulted in those elk using a different area, so that particular area may have no longer been viable for the rest of that season. So, once again, I am emphasizing the benefits of not pushing your luck when you don't have a thought out game plan. Granted you did do a whole lot right; you went in hard and fast. Which is often necessary for elk hunting. But you had their bedding area down, and could potentially find them there again and again (as long as they don't get blown out. If you had more time in the season, the smart move would have been to wait and gather more information, i.e., being much more strategic in your approach, and better develop a plan for following up.

As for calling, the elk busted you. I doubt calling would have done any good on that elk. But it was very likely a different story with his buddy. His buddy, based on your story, wanted company, and you could have used that to your advantage. Since you describe yourself as a newb, I strongly suggest you check out Enknut (Paul), a poster here) elk calling packages. His package(s) will increase your odds exponentially.

Reactions: FYT

Btaylor

WKR
Related to #1 - There is a reason having experience in and knowledge of a hunting area is so valuable. Takes time to develop that. base of knowledge.
#2 - It is a good thing to remind yourself to stay within your limits on any potential shot.
#3 - Hard to evaluate this one not being there. Could have been more about where you crested rather than the speed. You can crest at the speed of a turtle but if you do it in an exposed position, speed doesnt matter.
#4-6 - These all center around prep. Good feel for distance and shooting under field conditions. I dont view not taking the pack off as a mistake at all. Could it have helped, maybe yes. Prep for shooting with it on I think would have been just as important. Also, practice from a kneeling position may have served you well in that encounter.
#8 - I dont see that as a mistake either. Goes back to 2, if it is not a shot you are prepared to take, you shouldnt take it.
I will let the experienced elk guys deal with #7
#9 - I would ask myself, was there a way to get out without going right in behind the elk? If yes, then I made a mistake. If no then it comes down to a judgement call as to how long is long enough to wait and you could second guess that forever.

Virtually all of your points are just general hunting issues not elk only imo. I only have 3 years after elk too. Havent done all the things you mentioned on elk but I have covered all that list and 15-20 more list chasing other critters lol.

Simple truth of the matter is experience matters. It lets you make the right call more times than not and it lets you make that call faster and without hesitation. One other thing is all of the guys I know personally that are killers all made and occasionally still make mistakes but they are aggressive mistakes. Stay after, I know I am going too and I know I will prolly screw some of them up too. Ha!!

OP
FYT

FYT

Lil-Rokslider
I am not sure where you were in the season, but assuming that you still had time to hunt, I would have simply watched them and noted the route they took, and then came back for them the following weekend (I assume). I am make some assumptions here, so let me clarify. I assume that you will be hunting this yearly. So with that assumption, from my perspective, I take a long tern approach. If this area does not get much pressure, it is likely that the elk will follow the same pattern pretty much every season (dependent on weather). As such, sitting and watching would have provided extremely valuable information, and info on how to enter and exit without stinking up their travel area. This info would likely be good for years to come. So in short, you would not have had an opportunity using my suggestion(s), on that encounter. But it would have opened the door to more encounter in the future, and likely significantly increased your odds of future success.

Bumping animals you are actively hunting (as opposed to just scouting), is never a good idea. That hard bump likely resulted in those elk using a different area, so that particular area may have no longer been viable for the rest of that season. So, once again, I am emphasizing the benefits of not pushing your luck when you don't have a thought out game plan. Granted you did do a whole lot right; you went in hard and fast. Which is often necessary for elk hunting. But you had their bedding area down, and could potentially find them there again and again (as long as they don't get blown out. If you had more time in the season, the smart move would have been to wait and gather more information, i.e., being much more strategic in your approach, and better develop a plan for following up.

As for calling, the elk busted you. I doubt calling would have done any good on that elk. But it was very likely a different story with his buddy. His buddy, based on your story, wanted company, and you could have used that to your advantage. Since you describe yourself as a newb, I strongly suggest you check out Enknut (Paul), a poster here) elk calling packages. His package(s) will increase your odds exponentially.

Thanks for your thoughts! A few quick responses:

1) With regards to sitting and watching instead, I almost did it. Here were some factors that pushed me to "go for it" that evening:
  • It was 2nd season, OTC. It was the first weekend (Sunday night) so I did have more time, but I had to be back at work the next day. Had I taken an animal, I would have worked through the night and may have had to go late, but I didn't feel like I could come back the next morning.
  • Because it was 2nd season, the busiest season, I didn't want to wait until later that week or likely even the next weekend for fear that they would have been either killed or bumped out of there before I could get back.
  • This area happened to be right off a semi-busy road that a lot hunters drive past to get to their spots. It would have been a dream pack out- like 800 yards and all downhill to the road (albeit through some oak brush). Because it was so close to the road, I didn't trust the animals to not be harassed in some way before I was able to return to hunt it.
2) Yes, the hard bump was a big mistake. I didn't have a choice to walk out in the direction that they had left, but I should have waited MUCH longer before I left.

3) Good point on the calling to this guy's buddy. I think you might be right that it could have helped with him, but not the one who busted me. As for calling the first elk, I know I couldn't have gotten to come back but my hope was that I might have been able to stop him, ideally looking back and giving me a broadside shot. It sounds like in your experience, once I'm busted the most sexy sounding cow call in the world won't stop him?

Thanks again!

Rich M

WKR
I'm going to say this - "we've all been there". Those "mistakes" apply to deer and antelope, and even gophers. It gets better after you have done it a few times.

With what little I know about elk hunting - you did great. Saw a potential and made it a shot opportunity at not just 1, but 2 bulls. That's pretty good IMO.

I think you only need more time on the shooting range and a little more confidence with shooting.

3-5 seconds is definitely long enough to get a shot off. A quartering shot is very doable. A walking elk at 150-200 yards is very shoot-able - especially if you are tracking it when you shoot.

A 150-yard shot can made with a simple rest - hand on a sapling or branch with gun on hand and against sapling or up against hand on branch. I don't know if I'd agree with the neck shot if you aren't ready for a walking shot or a 3 second broadside opportunity when in position.

So - for your homework. Get to the range. Shoot 10-20 rounds per session.

Focus on your breathing, trigger squeeze, follow-thru (no flinch), and once you start shooting more quickly, the follow-up shot. You have all summer and it is a muscle skill so just like in martial arts - start slow and speed up. Focus on form and speed and confidence will come.

Hopefully those bulls will be back there this fall!

OP
FYT

FYT

Lil-Rokslider
Related to #1 - There is a reason having experience in and knowledge of a hunting area is so valuable. Takes time to develop that. base of knowledge.
#2 - It is a good thing to remind yourself to stay within your limits on any potential shot.
#3 - Hard to evaluate this one not being there. Could have been more about where you crested rather than the speed. You can crest at the speed of a turtle but if you do it in an exposed position, speed doesnt matter.
#4-6 - These all center around prep. Good feel for distance and shooting under field conditions. I dont view not taking the pack off as a mistake at all. Could it have helped, maybe yes. Prep for shooting with it on I think would have been just as important. Also, practice from a kneeling position may have served you well in that encounter.
#8 - I dont see that as a mistake either. Goes back to 2, if it is not a shot you are prepared to take, you shouldnt take it.
I will let the experienced elk guys deal with #7
#9 - I would ask myself, was there a way to get out without going right in behind the elk? If yes, then I made a mistake. If no then it comes down to a judgement call as to how long is long enough to wait and you could second guess that forever.

Virtually all of your points are just general hunting issues not elk only imo. I only have 3 years after elk too. Havent done all the things you mentioned on elk but I have covered all that list and 15-20 more list chasing other critters lol.

Simple truth of the matter is experience matters. It lets you make the right call more times than not and it lets you make that call faster and without hesitation. One other thing is all of the guys I know personally that are killers all made and occasionally still make mistakes but they are aggressive mistakes. Stay after, I know I am going too and I know I will prolly screw some of them up too. Ha!!

Thanks for your thoughts! I don't regret not taking the shot at all, I just regret not being more prepared to do so and also not being a little more flexible with my thinking. It's hard to tell yourself something in "absolute" terms; each hunt and situation requires flexible thinking.

Thanks again, I think just talking through and reflecting on this situation and the potential mistakes I made will help me in the field in the future (until it all goes out the window when I get bull-fever, ha).

OP
FYT

FYT

Lil-Rokslider
I'm going to say this - "we've all been there". Those "mistakes" apply to deer and antelope, and even gophers. It gets better after you have done it a few times.

With what little I know about elk hunting - you did great. Saw a potential and made it a shot opportunity at not just 1, but 2 bulls. That's pretty good IMO.

I think you only need more time on the shooting range and a little more confidence with shooting.

3-5 seconds is definitely long enough to get a shot off. A quartering shot is very doable. A walking elk at 150-200 yards is very shoot-able - especially if you are tracking it when you shoot.

A 150-yard shot can made with a simple rest - hand on a sapling or branch with gun on hand and against sapling or up against hand on branch. I don't know if I'd agree with the neck shot if you aren't ready for a walking shot or a 3 second broadside opportunity when in position.

So - for your homework. Get to the range. Shoot 10-20 rounds per session.

Focus on your breathing, trigger squeeze, follow-thru (no flinch), and once you start shooting more quickly, the follow-up shot. You have all summer and it is a muscle skill so just like in martial arts - start slow and speed up. Focus on form and speed and confidence will come.

Hopefully those bulls will be back there this fall!

Thanks! I agree that a lot of it comes down to my own comfort. I plan to spend a lot of time at the range this summer. In the past I have shot more sporadically and I have the time and plan to put time in this summer into making things feel that much more automatic. One of the biggest things I want to do with my shooting this summer is get comfortable from different positions, as you mention.

To clarify on the broadside window- I didn't have him in my sights at that point- that was when the pack was messing with me. Had I gotten on him during that window, I think I'd be eating elk steaks right now for lunch.

Another thing I plan to do this summer is to range things as I'm wandering the woods with my family or as I'm scouting. Just picking something out, guessing in my head, and then ranging to see how I did. I think that will help a lot with general feel- if it's within a 150 yards (or really, 200 for that matter) I shouldn't have to adjust how I aim enough to even make a difference.

Thanks again and have a great summer!

GregB

WKR
To kinda piggy back on what Rich M was saying a field expedient rest like a tree works very well, if not dropping to a knee provides good stability at that range. Practice on shooting from different positions in the off season so when the time comes you know where your comfort zone is at that range. For me 100 yds and under I practice every position to include offhand. 100-200 I shoot prone, sitting with a pack for support, and from the kneeling. 200-300 prone and sitting and anything further prone only. I also practice range estimation even when out hunting. When I stop to rest or glass just pick an object guess the range, and then range it. That made me a lot better at range estimation. I would definitly take a look at the area again this year.

OP
FYT

FYT

Lil-Rokslider
To kinda piggy back on what Rich M was saying a field expedient rest like a tree works very well, if not dropping to a knee provides good stability at that range. Practice on shooting from different positions in the off season so when the time comes you know where your comfort zone is at that range. For me 100 yds and under I practice every position to include offhand. 100-200 I shoot prone, sitting with a pack for support, and from the kneeling. 200-300 prone and sitting and anything further prone only. I also practice range estimation even when out hunting. When I stop to rest or glass just pick an object guess the range, and then range it. That made me a lot better at range estimation. I would definitly take a look at the area again this year.

Good ideas, thank you!

Yes, normally I would have looked for a tree for a rest or anything else that is naturally available. Unfortunately, in this situation I was right in the middle of a bunch of sage brush with a little oak-brush on the edges, but there simply wasn't a tree available. Had I been able to get prone in time, that would have been perfect, as I was right on the edge of slight incline that stopped at a bench. But, in the absence of time to get prone I wish I had tried kneeling. I also want to get/set-up a shooting stick specific to this purpose. I think I want to just add something to the top of my trekking pole. When I'm posted up somewhere, I tend to loop my trekking poles together and have that ready for a rest, but I like the idea of having something that is quicker to get ready when needed.

Rich M

WKR
Sorry, I didn't realize that was when you were trying to get into position. I KNOW you will have a system in place by time season comes.

I don't know what you are shooting - I shoot a 30-06 and try to have my dead-hold trajectories figured out before I hunt.

Example - I went to WY for antelope 2017. Had 150-gr bullets and they shot about 5 inches high at 250. Basically a 300-yard zero. Shot 1 at 25 yards and 1 at 340. Held on hair both times. Then deer hunting 2018 season without adjusting scope - dead on at 100 and 220/225.

Dead Hold is very convenient and a good way to be ready without having to worry about adjusting your shooting form. Figure out what ranges your bullet rise and drop is within say 6 or 8 inches - you can probably shoot 300-400 yards without any adjustment other than holding your cross hairs a little higher on the elk.

OP
FYT

FYT

Lil-Rokslider
Sorry, I didn't realize that was when you were trying to get into position. I KNOW you will have a system in place by time season comes.

I don't know what you are shooting - I shoot a 30-06 and try to have my dead-hold trajectories figured out before I hunt.

Example - I went to WY for antelope 2017. Had 150-gr bullets and they shot about 5 inches high at 250. Basically a 300-yard zero. Shot 1 at 25 yards and 1 at 340. Held on hair both times. Then deer hunting 2018 season without adjusting scope - dead on at 100 and 220/225.

Dead Hold is very convenient and a good way to be ready without having to worry about adjusting your shooting form. Figure out what ranges your bullet rise and drop is within say 6 or 8 inches - you can probably shoot 300-400 yards without any adjustment other than holding your cross hairs a little higher on the elk.

Yes, also good to think about. I shoot a .308 and have it zeroed for a dead hold at 200 yards, I believe. I printed the trajectory chart and have it taped to the stock of my gun. Going into this past season, I had put a personal limit at 300 yards and wouldn't have allowed myself to shoot beyond that. I'm hoping with a lot of practice this summer that I can push that limit out to 350 or maybe even 400, but as my brother often reminds me, "Funny stuff happens when you shoot beyond 250 yards."

Rich M

WKR
That's an excellent caliber. What bullets are you shooting?

Let's talk about the 180 Nosler Partition Federal Ammo (easy to check basic ballistics on federal website too) cause it is factory ammo and will over-penetrate the elk in most situations.

If you zero it for 250 yards. The max rise is 4.5 inches at 150 yards and the drop at 300 is 5 inches. So your Dead Hold range is 300 yards - no adjustments necessary for trajectory - you can hit a pie plate holding dead center out to 300 yards - every shot.

An elk has a kill zone that is about 15 inches wide and 15 inches high. That's a large target. So, by zeroing your rifle at 250 yards in this hypothetical situation, you are dead-elk with a center hold out to 300 yards.

That's what is meant by Dead Hold. It allows you to worry about other stuff than where to put the crosshairs. With your 300-yard shot limit, it is the solution. You can still carry the dope sheet (trajectory list) but won't need it.

PS the 350 yard drop is about 12 inches where you can still shoot (maybe the second shot to help anchor him) by holding the crosshairs even with the top edge of the back.

lyingflatlander

Lil-Rokslider
Loved your write up, loved your analysis and insights. Enjoyed the feedback you received. Take the advice, let your frustrations fuel your desire to hunt better/smarter. I’ll wager you kill the next bull that gives you an opportunity...

Marble

WKR
Sounds like you enjoyed yourself, learned a lot and are willing to change some things for next year.

A few suggestions...it seems you have have a little less expereince overall in hunting, which may cause you to over think some situations.

Find anything to hunt, including squirrels, rock chuck or whatever, and try to hunt year round. You will gain valuable expereince just hunting anything.

Practice with a firearm thst is similar to your elk rifle. Shoot it A LOT! Get practice under and expereince under your belt so when the time comes, your son's will be more automatic and you'll have more confidence.

Consider doing some extra glassing on your days off to locate elk. Its much easier, and a lot more motivating when you know there are elk where you are hunting.

Consider camping over night in the woods. Less travel, more rest, better expereince.

OP
FYT

FYT

Lil-Rokslider
That's an excellent caliber. What bullets are you shooting?

Let's talk about the 180 Nosler Partition Federal Ammo (easy to check basic ballistics on federal website too) cause it is factory ammo and will over-penetrate the elk in most situations.

If you zero it for 250 yards. The max rise is 4.5 inches at 150 yards and the drop at 300 is 5 inches. So your Dead Hold range is 300 yards - no adjustments necessary for trajectory - you can hit a pie plate holding dead center out to 300 yards - every shot.

An elk has a kill zone that is about 15 inches wide and 15 inches high. That's a large target. So, by zeroing your rifle at 250 yards in this hypothetical situation, you are dead-elk with a center hold out to 300 yards.

That's what is meant by Dead Hold. It allows you to worry about other stuff than where to put the crosshairs. With your 300-yard shot limit, it is the solution. You can still carry the dope sheet (trajectory list) but won't need it.

PS the 350 yard drop is about 12 inches where you can still shoot (maybe the second shot to help anchor him) by holding the crosshairs even with the top edge of the back.

I'm shooting Federal Trophy Copper 165 grain. As I mentioned, with my personal max being 300yards going into last season, I had zeroed it to dead hold at 200 unless I'm mistaken. So, knowing that it would be 1-2 inches high on anything 200 or less, I figured that anything in that range I would just dead hold anyway (and it really applies out to 250). Beyond that, I would have held high depending on my ballistics chart.

And yes, I want to shoot a lot this summer. I just bought a new scope and I'm thinking that I may zero the new scope on some cheaper ammunition for the summer and then re-sight it for the hunting season to allow me to put more rounds through it this summer without paying so much in ammunition costs- those copper are pricy!

OP
FYT

FYT

Lil-Rokslider
Loved your write up, loved your analysis and insights. Enjoyed the feedback you received. Take the advice, let your frustrations fuel your desire to hunt better/smarter. I’ll wager you kill the next bull that gives you an opportunity...

Thanks! I hope your wager is correct! I'm gonna put the time in, hope it pays off. I refuse to go another year with a freezer with too much empty space in it.

OP
FYT

FYT

Lil-Rokslider
Sounds like you enjoyed yourself, learned a lot and are willing to change some things for next year.

A few suggestions...it seems you have have a little less expereince overall in hunting, which may cause you to over think some situations.

Find anything to hunt, including squirrels, rock chuck or whatever, and try to hunt year round. You will gain valuable expereince just hunting anything.

Practice with a firearm thst is similar to your elk rifle. Shoot it A LOT! Get practice under and expereince under your belt so when the time comes, your son's will be more automatic and you'll have more confidence.

Consider doing some extra glassing on your days off to locate elk. Its much easier, and a lot more motivating when you know there are elk where you are hunting.

Consider camping over night in the woods. Less travel, more rest, better expereince.

Thanks!

Yes, I don't have a ton of overall hunting experience. Did a little deer hunting and small game hunting when I was growing up in Michigan and then went years without any hunting until the last 4-5 years.

I do plan to shoot a lot more over the summer, thanks for the suggestion. I have a public range about 10 minutes from my house and plan to frequent it at least once a week. Another idea that my brother had is to put a scope on my .22 and just walk around in the woods practicing different types of shots. It's obviously a lot different than shooting a .308 but it will help with comfort from different positions.

Unfortunately, there are hardly any species (ground squirrels being about the only one) that have open season over the summer and being an educator that is when I have by far the most time. So, I might just be out in the woods plinking rocks and trees and whatever else.

And yes, I'm going to get a lot of glassing in this summer. I have a nice deer tag in an adjacent unit, so I'll have to split time between looking for elk and looking for deer, but I want to be out a lot especially in late July and early August, because I'll have time then and it's closer to the seasons. I wish I could pound the ridges all september but my work schedule makes that difficult.

Thanks again for the encouragement and advice!

TheGDog

WKR
I admire your dedication to your job. That being said... this event is special and you (and they) should be willing to understand "I got me a bull!, their just gonna have to wait." They'll get over it.

Thank you for the detailed write up! Allows us to "see" it in our mind's eye!