Refreshing feel good story...

Beendare

WKR
[for those that don't click on links, This from the Pittsburg Post gazette, "A Small Town thats doing it right"
HERE

Great read, and very refreshing.

Its the story of a small town that took the politics out of city management...what a concept.

Now off we could only do this at the national level.....

Excerpt;
So how is it that Columbiana has not just bucked that trend of decline but also thrived?

It began, said the city manager, Lance Willard, after the city fathers took politics out of how the city functions in the 1970s and created the city manager position, a decision he said made the mayor more a benevolent figurehead who focuses on public relations while placing management of the city in the hands of a professional who stays on as mayors come and go.

“This approach gives the city more opportunities — not just to attract new development, but also be able to be more nimble with your ideas when politics and politicians are taken out of the equation,” Mr. Willard explained.

It also allows him to build relationships with not just the city council, but also the community, the chamber of commerce and the tourism industry.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
Yep, when you take politics out of the equation all that's left is logic and simple reason for answers and solutions. But politics seem to sneak in eventually everywhere, and then they're back to idiotic decisions instead of doing what's right and what makes sense. It would be really nice if every state government and our federal government operated solely based on what was best for our individual states and our nation as a whole. But even then, we have some that seem to think that destroying their state and destroying the nation as a whole is what's best. SMH

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
What happens when the managers vision is opposite of the majority of the towns citizens?

Building relationships makes it a back door political position.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
What happens when the managers vision is opposite of the majority of the towns citizens?
That's always going to be a problem........doing what's actually best versus doing what the majority wants. The best answers aren't always the most popular because everyone's priorities are different......"what's in it for me"....etc.

It's kind of like asking every citizen if they'd like to get a $1000 check from the government every month. Overwhelmingly they will say "yes". But is that what's best for the overall good of that community/state/country? No.

OP
Beendare

Beendare

WKR

Building relationships makes it a back door political position.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk
Thats a glass half full attitude.

I see your point….get the wrong person in there and how do you rectify?
Yeah, I don’t know….but I do know these wild political swings are killing the US. We are literally taking one step forward and two steps back.

One example is immigration. The Dems want a flood of illegals for the simple reason most vote Democrat keeping them in power. The Reps want controls, the opposite. Obama proposed an immigration policy that would not pass and then Trump proposed almost the exact same policy and it would not pass.

The solution is to inform voters and expose the motivations of these politicians, then maybe the avg voter would vote with their head and not emotion.