Region A - Wyoming

willsk85

FNG
Hey everyone,

My brother, dad and I are planning on hunting Region A this year in Wyoming. Based on our schedules, its looking like we may have to go out the weekend before Thanksgiving and hunt until season close.

For those of you that hunt this area, is there any weather concerns this time of year, specifically snowfall? Which then likely prohibits access to some areas?

Is this still restricted to private lands for mule deer during that time frame?

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

Some areas are open trill end of Nov. some close on 20th. Snow can very much be a factor then, inhibiting access to the forest and travel to the area, road closures.
Snow will push some deer down also to private.

Is this still restricted to private lands for mule deer during that time frame?

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

You can shoot a whitetail or a mule buck on public land in Region A. But you cannot harvest does on public. Only private land can you shoot a doe.

Did you head out to Region A last fall? If so, where and how was it? Looking into Unit 2 public land information. Thank you.

Yes, my dad, brother and I did. There are deer every where out there, just mostly on private. We saw 3 bucks that we considered absolute bruisers, but they were on private. We did fill out, but nothing that I would consider to be really good. My brothers buck was the nicest, at 110 inches.

Lots of other hunters out there. We were out there the week of the 12th of November. I would say it was lockdown for the whitetails. Saw lots of individual bucks sitting alone with a doe. Mulies I would say were just starting to get going.

A buddy of mine that has been going out there for 3 years said it was their worse year out of 3. They only filled 1 of 3 tags.

Thanks for the response. Do you think that there are pros and cons to each unit in Region A? Perhaps Unit 1 has more deer but less public and deer are on private more. Perhaps Unit 2 has a little less deer, maybe, but the deer found have a better chance of being on public land...etc, etc? My thoughts are Unit 2 and the Bear Lodge Mountains.

Thanks for the response. Do you think that there are pros and cons to each unit in Region A? Perhaps Unit 1 has more deer but less public and deer are on private more. Perhaps Unit 2 has a little less deer, maybe, but the deer found have a better chance of being on public land...etc, etc? My thoughts are Unit 2 and the Bear Lodge Mountains.

Unit 1 is very desolate and saw few deer. We considered this soley Muley Country. Unit 2 was our best unit in terms of #'s of deer and quality. I recommend driving taking time, driving around and getting to know the unit. The unit with the Black Hills is pretty good too.

Get out of the vehicle and spend time walking back into some areas.

I have heard that the unit right next to SD had quite a few deer, Unit 4 I think? But yes, you are correct, nothing is better than actually getting out to see the area. It isn't too far from me, that is why Region A appeals to me, it is a relatively easy drive. I know most places you hunt on general tags wont offer a lot of trophy potential but that is OK, I am just looking for opportunity to see more and hunt more. Thanks for the information on this.

Are you hunting Mule Deer or Whitetails?

And yes, snow conditions vary year to year. Last year some of the mountain roads were pretty darn bad during that week before Thanksgiving. Year before not so much.

I would be interested in either really. Whichever is predominantly on public. Since I am going out of state and I had to pick one, it would be mule deer.

Back