Reliable Short Range Whitetail Scope

I find myself rifle hunting whitetail in my home state of MN in thick stuff where shot distances are most likely to be 10-50 yards. There are chances they could go 2-300 yards but very unlikely.

My current muzzle loaders and centerfire rifles used in MN are wearing SWFA 3-9 SS scopes. I have had no issue with low light but it's just not ideal for the application with the reticle and tunneling below 4x. Ideally Id like something that is 2-3x on the low end with a little more visible reticle, at least SWFA 3-9 brightness for low light, and trustworthy when it comes to holding zero. I'm thinking a 6.5 creedmoor or x47 with a 16-18" barrel is in the near future for this application so I can use a can without it being long as hell like on my current more western hunting oriented rifles.

Any ideas? The trijicon options caught my eye in 2-10x36 and 2.5-10x56 configuration. Reticles aren't my favorite but illum should help a bit. Bonus points for Mil vs MOA as I consciously transitioned away from all my MOA scopes but this will be primarily a point and shoot scope so MOA might not kill an otherwise good option.

Not particularly interested in the standard Leupold/swaro/zeiss options just for zero retention reasons.

Last edited:

FLATHEAD

WKR
My .243 and .308 both have Leupold 1.5 x 5's on em.
My 300WM has a Leupold 2.5 x 8

TN2shot07

WKR
Leupold vx3 2.5-8 or Maven Rs.2 2-10. If you look much here trijicon has stellar reviews but no personal experience

Tod osier

WKR
I find myself rifle hunting whitetail in my home state of MN in thick stuff where shot distances are most likely to be 10-50 yards. There are chances they could go 2-300 yards but very unlikely.

My current muzzle loaders and centerfire rifles used in MN are wearing SWFA 3-9 SS scopes. I have had no issue with low light but it's just not ideal for the application with the reticle and tunneling below 4x. Ideally Id like something that is 2-3x on the low end with a little more visible reticle, at least SWFA 3-9 brightness for low light, and trustworthy when it comes to holding zero. I'm thinking a 6.5 creedmoor or x47 with a 16-18" barrel is in the near future for this application so I can use a can without it being long as hell like on my current more western hunting oriented rifles.

Any ideas? The trijicon options caught my eye in 2-10x36 and 2.5-10x56 configuration. Reticles aren't my favorite but illum should help a bit. Bonus points for Mil vs MOA as I consciously transitioned away from all my MOA scopes but this will be primarily a point and shoot scope so MOA might not kill an otherwise good option.

Not particularly interested in the standard Leupold/swaro/zeiss options just for zero retention reasons.

I just don't see you doing a whole lot better for price than what you have if you prioritize reliability. I have no problem with that scope in the woods, I just keep it on 3.75 power. I have never been in a position that the scope wouldn't get it done when I needed it.

I love that you say no Leupold and you get 2 leupold recommendations.

Macintosh

WKR
What about an shv 3-10?

I ponder this EXACT question somewhat frequently. A couple years ago I needed a spare scope in a pinch and on a whim bought a bushnell trophy extreme 2.5-10 on closeout for $52. Couple years later I have moved on several scopes from the “big two” that all failed to hold a zero, and that same dang bushnell is still on my 7600, which doesnt get used a ton but does get pretty beat on for a few weeks every november. Glass is easily in the low-end VX range, and most importantly has not lost zero yet after a couple years of slipping up and down snow covered mountains, plus a few airline trips. Best gun-related $52 Ive ever spent I think. I keep thinking I need to replace it with something better, but darned if I can figure out what that is. Let me know when you find it.

Attachments

• CB356F1C-9F78-4645-BA79-38B9F5911247.jpeg
    CB356F1C-9F78-4645-BA79-38B9F5911247.jpeg
    487.2 KB · Views: 92

Mikido

WKR
Can’t go wrong with any of the short scopes. I run a leupold vx2 2-7. I’ve snap shot on 2x without issue many times, and have killed out to 300. Good luck.

OP
wind gypsy
What about an shv 3-10?
That would probably be on the short list if I didn't already have what I do just from a reticle visibility standpoint. I'm not big on it being MOA and more expensive than the 3-9s.

I just don't see you doing a whole lot better for price than what you have if you prioritize reliability. I have no problem with that scope in the woods, I just keep it on 3.75 power. I have never been in a position that the scope wouldn't get it done when I needed it.

You're probably right. It's never been an issue for me but I know there are some dark times still in legal shooting where i can nitpick it a bit.
I love that you say no Leupold and you get 2 leupold recommendations.
Expected that 😂 I'm guilty of telling people they should reconsider what they are looking for occasionally myself..

Macintosh

WKR
I was referring to a duplex reticle in the shv…are you assuming the moar reticle? If so that would not be my choice either. Or do the reticles you have already stand out more than a duplex? I might be making some incorrect assumptions though. I figured given the stated range and use it’d be a set it and forget it scope with no dialing or holdovers needed so maybe mil/moa was a lower priority. Did I figure wrong?

bowman72

FNG
I went through the same thing with my SWFA. I bought a trijicon accupoint 3-9 and love it for hunting. I have the mildot and it works great in low light. Both the scope and the illumination make it superior for low light.

Doesn't have FFP, but I use the mildot and don't dial on this setup.

Hthunter

FNG
I like the accupoint 3-9x40 for set and forget 0-300yds. The acccupoint 2.5-12.5x42 is available in mil with mildot reticle. Haven’t tried the 2.5-12.5 yet bc 3-9x40 (green dot) has worked for me. It’s the only MOA scope I have left. Have dialed some at range and hasn’t been a problem using MOA on that one scope.

prm

WKR
I have the Trijicon Credo 3-9x40 and 2-10x36. Either would work well with bonus points to the 2-10 for FFP. If short range and low light are the concern, the 2.5-10x56 might be a good play. Often considered one myself but haven’t pulled the plug yet.

Credo 3-9x40. Fairly light weight. Good glass. The lighting in the reticle is superb! On low power there is no washout whatsoever. I cannot comment on durability as mine are new, but you will not be disappointed in the size, glass or lighting control.

Shraggs

WKR

A lot if my deer hunting in Michigan is exactly what you described. The other half is field edges.

For me, easy choices I’m using are swfa 1-6. Trijcon 1-6 credo in ffp mil/mil version. Honestly shot targets at 800 without issue and awesome to set them at 2 power unless on the field edge. Opening day, as I was packing up to climb down a nice big old fart came sneaking around, never stopped and was able to put one in the boiler room in thick undercover at 50 yards standing snap shot (glad I practiced Forms drill!). If it matters, I prefer the swfa with exposed turrets and the reticle is bolder. Both are great and very similar.

I also have swfa and trijcon 1-4 for guns here in Michigan that won’t kill pass 300, ie slug/MZ guns. Both of those oddly are sfp so I just leave it on 4 if on a field edge so hashs work and if in timber for 60 yards back on 1 or 2 as that’s just point and shoot. Form has said the swfa hasn’t historically held up to their other models reliability so time will tell on a 12 gauge. But I seldom shoot it and it’s dirt cheap.

The rokslide special calls for the swfa 6 fixed mine has the 1-6. But wanted to try it as I had worries about to high power and reduced fov in tight timber so I put it on my muzzle loader. Got to say, I’d have no issues although I’ve yet to kill with it close yet. But if you’re setting up with 2 eyes Before closing the other seems to work very well actually, to my surprise.

JCMCUBIC

WKR
As mentioned, the 3-10 SHV with Forceplex.

The Tract Toric 2-10x42 with Tplex. I've been impressed with the optics. It is also MOA. Mine has held zero and adjusted exactly...except for a severe drop test of 3 drops from shoulder height directly onto the scope....which is more than can be asked, a SWFA 6x42 failed the same drops...but again, it's more than can be asked. Afterwards both adjusted exactly on the corrections and have dialed exactly since.