Reloading and ammo component for dummies?

ccoffey

Lil-Rokslider
Is there a text that exists that will give me an introductory to reloading and ammo selection that’s written for somebody who’s not a rocket scientist? I’ve admittedly learned most of what I know from this forum, but I’m freaking clueless about what things like +p and wildcatting means.

Just keep reading and learning. If you're going to be reloading standard cartridges in factory rifles there's about 793 terms that are completely irrelevant.

NRA4LIFE

WKR
Just buy a reloading manual or 2. I was fortunate when I started to have a buddy that was very knowledgeable and experienced (he got me into it). But I learned a lot from the manuals. Hornady's latest may be a good start along with Nosler.

Ramem7mm

FNG
Pickup a reloading manual and some of them have some step by step process however it will be pretty generalized. Avery Outdoors did a good podcast with step by step process and Erik Cortina has some good videos and podcast. There are several YouTube videos that go over this as well and one that jumps to mind is Panhandle Precision. Start with one gun maybe and get yourself setup just do do that one gun and read all about that one cartridge and doing your testing with that one firearm and see what you learn. Good luck.

Andouille

Lil-Rokslider
I'm a new reloader and have watched just about every video on Youtube on the subject... at least it feels that way.

Sam at Panhandle Precision produces videos that are some of the best to walk you through the reloading process without extraneous discussion of highly technical aspects of reloading. The videos clearly explain the purpose of each step and define relevant terms. Sam's reloading process seems efficient and free of extraneous steps- I can mimic it at home with my basic reloading equipment.

Johnny's Reloading Bench and Bolt Action reloading also have clear explanations of the process and some cartridge-specific videos and tests that may be relevant to you. There are also a lot of equipment tests and reviews that guided some of my purchases. However, I disregard all and any talk of "nodes" which I am convinced are largely a sampling size artifact.

I find that Cortina's videos delve into nuances that really don't matter for a new reloader and probably most hunters, plus they are presented with assumption of a baseline level of reloading knowledge. If you take one thing away from Cortina, it is that you should be full-length sizing (rather than neck sizing) your cartridges for maximum longevity and accuracy.

As for books, I have a 2013 copy of Nosler's reloading manual which provides a decent basis for reloading. I have heard that Lyman's reloading guide is one of the best texts on the subject... my copy is somewhere in the mail. I have Tom McHale's Practical Guide to Reloading Ammunition which I find overly simplistic, slightly dated, inaccurate on some subjects, and not a useful reference going forward.

Last edited:
Most (all?) of the reloading manuals I have have a section at the front presenting the basics of reloading. That will be enough to wet your whistle, and then you can go from there.

AccurateShooter.com has some very nice technical articles that dive more into the details if there is a particular subject you'd like to learn more about.

archp625

WKR
Is there a text that exists that will give me an introductory to reloading and ammo selection that’s written for somebody who’s not a rocket scientist? I’ve admittedly learned most of what I know from this forum, but I’m freaking clueless about what things like +p and wildcatting means.
Are you wanting a step by step process on how to get a finished product. I wrote one to share with others. PM me your number and Ill send you in step by step process.