Reloading Bench Layout

BlackTail

Lil-Rokslider
Brand new reloader here looking for some help on laying out my bench. I’ve scoured the internet and seen tons of bench pics but have seen very little info on the “why” things are laid out the way they are. Hoping you guys can help me from making any mistakes in my setup. I’ve got a 60” x 30” bench. I’ve purchased the Inline Fabrication flush mount/spacer and all the adapter plates so I’ll be able to remove equipment that’s not in use. I’ll be using a Forster Co-Ax press, CPS Primer Seater, A&D FX 120 scale (V4 should ship next month), and will be ordering a Henderson trimmer soon. Help me get this right the first time!! Like if you’re right handed don’t put your press here, or always leave this much room between your press and your scale, or leave room on both sides of your press (or don’t), etc. Any hints, tips, tricks, do’s or don’ts would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you!!

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
Ideally, I set mine up left to right in the order I use the tools. Just the way I like to do it.

One thing I didn't see you mention is height. Proper height makes loading more enjoyable for me.

JFK

WKR
Same as above. Powder drop on left, room in the middle to put prepped cases, to the right of that is space for my scale and powder trickler since I do that for ever round…and finally the press on the farthest right position as that’s the last stage.

I don’t have a permanent position for my trimmer but just do that work in the middle of the bench when needed.

wcoats

FNG
I recommend using a mounting plate set up that makes it easy to attach or remove your press form your reloading bench. When I first stated I just mounted my press to the bench with bolts, then ended up adding another press and the bench was getting crowded. I now use the Lee bench plate kit and can easily switch if I have my single stage, turret or progressive press on the bench depending on what I'm loading.

OP
BlackTail

BlackTail

Lil-Rokslider
Thank you guys! I have the Inline Fabrication plates for everything so I’ll only have one piece of equipment on the bench at a time (press, primer, or trimmer). I see a lot of photo of the press all the way to the right side of the bench. I was thinking of putting the mounting plate in the middle so that I have room on either side of the press. Like if I was seating bullets I’d have a tray of charged cases on the left and have room on the right side to put completed cases once the bullets are seated. The other thing I wondered about was my scale. I feel like I’d want it on the right side to be grabbing the powder with my right hand to charge cases but again, that’s where I see the press mounted more often than not. But I don’t know what I don’t know and just hoping to avoid my bench looking like Swiss cheese because I had to remount everything 3 times to get it right.

OP
BlackTail

BlackTail

Lil-Rokslider
I just scatter crap all over. I always say I'll do better, but I'm always racing daylight to shoot.
I can definitely see how it could end up that way. Trying to start off organized anyways!

OP
BlackTail

BlackTail

Lil-Rokslider
One thing I didn't see you mention is height. Proper height makes loading more enjoyable for me.
Justin, I’ll have to measure but going off memory it’s around 35” high. I kind of had to do it that height to not block some other shelves and it’s anchored to the wall now so it sort of is what it is at this point. Seems like a decent height though for being able to reload standing if I wanted or I have an adjustable stool if I want to sit.

I appreciate all the input. Trying to figure this reloading thing out, let alone secure equipment and components these last two years, has been a journey. Crazy part is the journey is really just beginning!! At least I feel like I’m getting to the fun stuff finally!

tdot

WKR
I prefer my bench at 42", and I'm 6'. You could use one of those Inline riser plates to get to whatever height you're comfortable with. I'd personally recommend clamping tools to the bench for now and figure out what works for your process that you develop.

I also keep my A&D on a separate shelf to my left. Then there aren't any vibrations from seating a bullet that could mess with the powder throw.

Blinddog

Lil-Rokslider
I prefer two benches, one for brass prep and working on guns and the other for powder and reloading, and the table height is adjustable on the reloading bench. Lee plate to switch from single to progressive. of course, you have to have room for two.
we remodeled our basement and I claimed a room as my hunting room. Still not sure how I pulled that one-off.20220701_234740.jpg20220701_234751.jpg

6MT

FNG
I load for 9 different calibers. So organization and ergonomics are pretty important. I'm close....

784128FC-D8B5-4FC1-80A1-BDA1C7077D62.jpg

JF_Idaho

Lil-Rokslider
It's gonna be very personal. If right handed, press on far right.

I like to use nut-serts in a wood bench so I can remove stuff if I don't use it often. Stuff like swager, powder drop. T-track would also work.

IDShane

WKR
I built this bench and purchased a small Husky toolbox this combination has worked pretty good for me.

Attachments

• Reloading bench top #1.jpg
    Reloading bench top #1.jpg
    329.6 KB · Views: 35
  • Reloading bench top #2.jpg
    Reloading bench top #2.jpg
    326.7 KB · Views: 35
  • Reloading bench top #3.jpg
    Reloading bench top #3.jpg
    312.2 KB · Views: 35

ElkTycoon

FNG
^^^^^ this (IDShanes bench) is really nice, organized and clean. Great lighting.

Benches with tons of tools and stuff, even if it’s organized, drive me nuts. I’ve had benches like that and I just like it simple and clean. The more space I have the more I clutter. I like doing an operation and then putting stuff away before I go to the next step.

I just posted these pics in another thread but applicable here too.
IMG_4328.jpeg IMG_4329.jpeg
IMG_4330.jpeg IMG_4331.jpeg

IDShane

WKR
^^^^^ this (IDShanes bench) is really nice, organized and clean. Great lighting.

Benches with tons of tools and stuff, even if it’s organized, drive me nuts. I’ve had benches like that and I just like it simple and clean. The more space I have the more I clutter. I like doing an operation and then putting stuff away before I go to the next step.

I just posted these pics in another thread but applicable here too.
View attachment 685479 View attachment 685480
View attachment 685481 View attachment 685482
Thank you Elk Tycoon.