Reloading Kits

What’s the better ones you guys have experienced. Just looking to get started. Don’t need anything fancy.

MThuntr

WKR
Really they are all about the same (with a few caveats)...some might have more gadgets or options than others. It all depends on what you're willing to spend and what color you want. Most kits have the basics...there may be a few threads that mention the necessities. I tend to prefer a balance beam scale over a lower end electronic scales. It's all a matter of how deep you follow the rabbit hole

I started with a Lee Anniversary kit and have replaced almost 100% of it especially the scale and now use Hornady. Some people will tell you that RCBS is the best while others will say Redding is the best and others will say go with Lyman.

I wouldn't hesitate to pick up the RCBS kit - I've got a mess of their stuff and it works well for the calibers I load (223, 25-06, 30-06, 6.5, 357). Buddy just got this one as an entry to reloading and has been pleased.

Hornandy offers some great kits as well there classic kit would be a good beginner set up, cant go wrong with any brands mentioned above either.

I have done well with the Rcbs rockchucker press kit. But depending on your needs I got a different trimmer and an electric powder measure. But most of the stuff is good. I really am switching to Redding bushing dies cause I think they’re higher quality and work brass less than non bushing dies

OP
BeastOfTheTrees
I wouldn't hesitate to pick up the RCBS kit - I've got a mess of their stuff and it works well for the calibers I load (223, 25-06, 30-06, 6.5, 357). Buddy just got this one as an entry to reloading and has been pleased.

Do different kits work better for certain calibers? For example I will primarily be reloading for 45 colt, .454 Casull, 25-06, and .300 Wby. Don’t care much about rabbit hole yet just something that works. Sick of buying .300 Wby ammo lol.

Nealm66

Lil-Rokslider
I started with the rock chucker kit about 25 years ago. I still use it for pulling bullets. It still makes very accurate ammunition after god only knows how many rounds of 20-30 different calibers from 9mm to 338 lapua. It’s got some slop from all the years of crud that falls in along the shaft. I use a partner press for priming. I bought both the rcbs summit and Frankford m-press and have them mounted side by side and am leaning towards selling the rcbs summit, contrary to what most would believe. I still use the rcbs balance scale when I’m loading small calibers as a double check for competition loads. I think in the end there’s really no way around having a mix of components but to start, I’d go with rcbs rock chucker and build on to it.

Mt Al

WKR
I also started with the Rock Chucker also. The link above looks like a good kit for the money. My opinion, the trimmer sucks. I went with Lee case trimmers, Lee collet/neck sizing dies for some rounds, RCBS dies for others. The balance beam scale with the trickler set up to drop in a few grains at a time works pretty good.

wyosam

WKR
Do different kits work better for certain calibers? For example I will primarily be reloading for 45 colt, .454 Casull, 25-06, and .300 Wby. Don’t care much about rabbit hole yet just something that works. Sick of buying .300 Wby ammo lol.

I’d use the lee classic turret. It does a fine job with rifle loads, and you can run in auto index mode and crank out the handgun ammo way more efficiently than with a traditional single stage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm using the rock chucker as well. Replaced some things like powder measure, case trimmer, but most of it is what I got in the kit when I was in like 10th grade.

Nealm66

Lil-Rokslider
One thing I’ve noticed, the press brand may not be as important as dies and brass. And not always does brand name mean everything. Get some tools that check for consistency

One thing I’ve noticed, the press brand may not be as important as dies and brass. And not always does brand name mean everything. Get some tools that check for consistency
I've been using hornady dies, the searer die was leaving a groove around my accubonds in 30 cal. While it may not effect accuracy was driving me nuts. Too the seater out, put a dap of lapping compound in it and spun a bullet in it while a drill. They are perfect now.

Two Roads

Lil-Rokslider
My suggestion would be a rockcbucker press, RCBS electronic powder measure, Forster dies, RCBS hand primer. With a little patience you can get a super sale price on RCBS e-measure. And, get a Hornady de-capping die to save wear and tear. I know it is not a kit, but great starter setup at good value. I would add that Redding makes great dies as well. Also, get e-calipers w Sinclair kit to measure ogive and a notebook to track recipes, bullet and length to ogive. Have fun.

archp625

WKR
I went with the advice of others and didn't buy a kit. Everyone said if I bought one I would end up replacing almost everything in the kit but maybe the press. So instead I researched each part of reloading and got the pieces separate. I think I'm light years ahead on my process now.