Reloading pressure sign help? CA 300 wsm

SDHNTR

WKR
can someone clarify how a "double ejector" mark happens? never witness one before.. thanks..
CA uses two ejectors.

I’ve also heard, and on the theoretical it makes sense, that the two ejectors also can show pressure earlier.

Last edited:
OP
J

jerm8352

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve seen tight/short chambers pressure up early and result in ejector marks too. Call them. Not email. IME, emails sent to companies in the firearm industry are about 50/50 at best for a response. They should be quite used to this stuff by now. If, by chance you could come up with a .006-.008” variance go/no go set and give it a try, that would give you valuable info. Or at least a field gauge. How much is your brass growing on fired brass?
Not sure on the brass growth. Didn’t measure before firing as I was just loading a few quick to look for pressure and velocity.

OP
J

jerm8352

Lil-Rokslider
How much of an issue would it be to get a different barrel and send it to the gunsmith to change caliber?

SDHNTR

WKR
How much of an issue would it be to get a different barrel and send it to the gunsmith to change caliber?
$700-800 ish. About $400 for a good blank and about the same amount to install and cut chamber.

OP
J

jerm8352

Lil-Rokslider
$700-800 ish. About $400 for a good blank and about the same amount to install and cut chamber.
That might be the best option anyways. This site has me thinking smaller anyways and my shoulder ain’t getting any better. Only shoot at elk to 400 anyways.

Last edited:
OP
J

jerm8352

Lil-Rokslider
Don’t let them win! Make them fix it. Then sell it, and buy what you want.
I already modified the stock with an arca rail and put a dead air xeno brake on the barrel. Not sure what the resale value would be.

Chamber is clean/dry and free from oil and there is no lube left on the cases either?

Sloppy firing pin hole and ejector fit on bolt faces can show signs very easily especially on that softer brass but those are pretty heavy markings and coupled with heavy bolt lift its not good.

If your chamber is clean and dry and you're getting these results, id send it in for them to look at.

OP
J

jerm8352

Lil-Rokslider
The cases never saw lube and I used a bore guide to clean and didn’t notice anything in there in terms of oil. I can check again but really don’t want to have to buy another box of 80 dollar ammo to check if it changes anything after yet another thorough cleaning.

BCsteve

WKR
Have you reached out to CA to see what they think caused that with factory ammo? I'd like to think that that they would be concerned and would want to fix this.

OP
J

jerm8352

Lil-Rokslider
Called they said to fill out a form online. They finally replied to my email today and said the same thing.

SDHNTR

WKR
The cases never saw lube and I used a bore guide to clean and didn’t notice anything in there in terms of oil. I can check again but really don’t want to have to buy another box of 80 dollar ammo to check if it changes anything after yet another thorough cleaning.
Rest assured, break in/cleaning didn’t cause your problem.

Harvey_NW

WKR
CA uses two ejectors.

I’ve also heard, and on the theoretical it makes sense, that the two ejectors also can show pressure earlier.
My Christensen 28 Nos would leave pretty pronounced ejector marks at safe pressure.

Not sure on the brass growth. Didn’t measure before firing as I was just loading a few quick to look for pressure and velocity.
You need the tools to measure to diagnose anything. The ejector marks are common on Christensens, mine did it on every piece of brass. Are you sure you got bolt lift? Because typically at the point of bolt lift you get swipe that will cut the edges of those ejector marks off. It also looks to me like excessive headspace, but it wouldn't surprise me if the tail end of the chamber was tight from a worn reamer.