Reluctantly Obliging Matt Rinella

Anyone else listened to the latest "Hunt Quietly" episode? It's a strange thing with Matt. I get some great food for thought from him and also finding myself spitting out stuff that isn't edible to me.

Overall, I enjoy the discussion. But in today's obviously drunken tirade, he said and doubled, tripled, quadrupled............ down that anyone who will ever buy another piece of Sitka gear needs to lose his number.

I think I will oblige him.

I do use Sitka gear. It's comfortable and it fits me exactly how I like it. Will I buy any in the future? Possibly. I have plenty right now and see no need for another piece right now, but who knows what the next need is?

I could honestly just disregard this as what it was, but I truly think Matt needs some help with the addiction and I'm tired of trying to sift through the rants to get the meat.

So what say you?

S.Clancy

WKR
I agree 100% with Matt's message. I have hated Sitka particularly for a long time. The products are no better than anything else (I would argue less than several other mountaineering companies), really expensive and their marketing has always been vomit inducing.

However, I think, while brilliant, Matt shoots himself in the foot way to much. Like most brilliant people, he can't imagine that people can't see what he sees and consequently says incredibly stupid and condescending things. It's pretty obvious that the other guy (Jim) running the podcast is very reasonable and understands that alienating people is not how you win them to your side. He needs to start having more of a heavy hand with Matt and the podcast so they can get their excellent message across to everyone.

OP
E
I agree 100% with Matt's message. I have hated Sitka particularly for a long time. The products are no better than anything else (I would argue less than several other mountaineering companies), really expensive and their marketing has always been vomit inducing.

However, I think, while brilliant, Matt shoots himself in the foot way to much. Like most brilliant people, he can't imagine that people can't see what he sees and consequently says incredibly stupid and condescending things. It's pretty obvious that the other guy (Jim) running the podcast is very reasonable and understands that alienating people is not how you win them to your side. He needs to start having more of a heavy hand with Matt and the podcast so they can get their excellent message across to everyone.
This! Other than agreeing 100%. I don't agree that much with anyone, not even myself, though I too get a bunch from him but his “pulling rank” to deny a nuanced approach was nuts.

Last edited:
OP
E
Eh, I think changing the marketing strategy to target the DB's in the snow sports community was the point they were trying to target.
Possibly. It was definitely a marketing move, though the ins and outs I am unsure of. As a business owner, I understand the desire to market your product. I can't fault them for wanting to grow their business. I may have gone a different direction, but I do market and my objective is to one day retire a very wealthy man and pass it off to my grandson.

OP
E
What's the beef?

Finally picked up a fanatic set last year.

Tried a few sits, one memorable.
Evening,11 degrees and dropping, 20 plus mile wind gusts.

Honestly felt like I was in a toaster. Was wonderfull after freezing my ass off late season for the past 15 years.
Enjoy it. They make fantastic gear. It's kind of the in thing to hate on Sitka and call those who wear it "fanboys." My loyalty starts with my wallet. I will buy what works for me. Having used several manufacturers, Sitka checks the most boxes for what I want in a hunting clothing line. But if someone else comes along and checks more, I'll jump ship in a second.

Pacific_Fork

Well Known Rokslider
Basically it all comes down to that they sent a guy on a hunt on the Deseret unit for elk on their dime.

Much more to the story. They forget to mention that they paid for this DB snowboarder in the range of 20-30 k to go elk hunting. All the newbs won’t realize this marketing scheme and think elk hunting is easily and crowd the wild places and take our opportunities away even more.

I’ve owned some Sitka pieces for 8-10 years. While I won’t throw them in the trash I def won’t be buying anymore.

Chuckybmd

WKR
Anyone else listened to the latest "Hunt Quietly" episode? It's a strange thing with Matt. I get some great food for thought from him and also finding myself spitting out stuff that isn't edible to me.

Overall, I enjoy the discussion. But in today's obviously drunken tirade, he said and doubled, tripled, quadrupled............ down that anyone who will ever buy another piece of Sitka gear needs to lose his number.

I think I will oblige him.

I do use Sitka gear. It's comfortable and it fits me exactly how I like it. Will I buy any in the future? Possibly. I have plenty right now and see no need for another piece right now, but who knows what the next need is?

I could honestly just disregard this as what it was, but I truly think Matt needs some help with the addiction and I'm tired of trying to sift through the rants to get the meat.

So what say you?
Yeah, seems like he’s going off the rails. I’m less inclined to listen or agree with him the more I hear.

I use Sitka. Their outerwear pieces are phenomenal for my needs.

I like the message that I first heard from Matt and have since embraced parts of it.

I never really liked him, or his persona.

S.Clancy

WKR
Possibly. It was definitely a marketing move, though the ins and outs I am unsure of. As a business owner, I understand the desire to market your product. I can't fault them for wanting to grow their business. I may have gone a different direction, but I do market and my objective is to one day retire a very wealthy man and pass it off to my grandson.
I'm saying that's what that particular podcast is about.

OP
E
I'm saying that's what that particular podcast is about.
Absolutely. And I think he had a few good points to make. Just wish one could hear his points without the other stuff.

I think the closing statement was the proverbial straw for me.