Reluctantly Obliging Matt Rinella

Artanis95

Lil-Rokslider
I don’t consider money towards conservation projects “dollars lost”. They could have sent a vet or first responder on the hunt and I still wouldn’t say it was “dollars lost”.
Bank rolling for a famous snowboarder to hunt private land elk is wasted or lost money IMO.
Worth every penny if he goes home and tells all his buds we aren't actually a bunch of fudds out killing everything that moves like hunters are portrayed in most media since bambi, there's nothing wrong with taking a vet or a first responder by any means but taking a boarder bro or football player will go a long way in helping sway public opinion in our favor in the long run from people that are ignorant to our culture I don't see any value in trying to recruit somebody that's already on your team. To me that's like the alternative energy folks going after "big oil" when big oil puts more R&D into alternatives than just about anyone because they understand it is a finite resource and would still like to be making billions when it runs out it's just good business sense.
I grew up hearing hound hunters aren't hunters, it's cheating, it's not sportsmanship, it should be illegal, and I believed it because nobody in my circle hunted that way, a couple years ago I started still hunting and sharing public land with houndsmen and three years of exposure to albeit stand offish at first, the most dedicated, nice, down to earth people, you'll ever meet my mind has been changed there's nothing "easy" about it, it requires time, dedication, practice, tons of level headedness, and experience in order to attain any level of measurable success anyone that says otherwise has either A never done it or B went out one time with someone who already put in the leg work so to speak and made it look easy, You can't just buy a dog and turn it out and expect a bear in a tree in 30 minutes or even two years for that matter no more than you can buy a 6.5 CM and never put in trigger time and expect a 500 yard dead in his tracks kill shot but there's lots of guys here that can make that look easy to after they've spent hundreds of hours on a range and behind a reloading bench.
It's threads like these that scare me because they make me realize it's not organizations like PETA that's our life styles biggest enemy it's ourselves skater boy will probably never buy another tag again outside of maybe a guided hunt but the story he tells about the people and places when he gets home will last for decades and I don't want to be the sphincter button character that ruins that story for my son to deal with 20 years from now. And if I ever do see the skater skeeter in some deep dark hole staring at a downed critter going well now what? I'll help him pack it out same as I would for anyone else.

Z71&Gun

Lil-Rokslider
Much more to the story. They forget to mention that they paid for this DB snowboarder in the range of 20-30 k to go elk hunting. All the newbs won’t realize this marketing scheme and think elk hunting is easily and crowd the wild places and take our opportunities away even more.

I’ve owned some Sitka pieces for 8-10 years. While I won’t throw them in the trash I def won’t be buying anymore.
What is DB?

Elkangle

WKR
Typically when people have false expectations, for example watching a 30k tag and thinking it's the same as an otc experience...they tend to quit way sooner then someone that knows what they signed up for...so i judt don't understand the argument how show casing a 30k tag on a film is bad for hunting

If anything the false advertising is bad for hunter recruiting, which is what Matt wants

CorbLand

WKR
Typically when people have false expectations, for example watching a 30k tag and thinking it's the same as an otc experience...they tend to quit way sooner then someone that knows what they signed up for...so i judt don't understand the argument how show casing a 30k tag on a film is bad for hunting

If anything the false advertising is bad for hunter recruiting, which is what Matt wants
I would say that typically what happens in your case is that those individuals don't quit. They turn around and advocate for OTC tags to be reduced/eliminated.

Brian call -"if your someone that complains about competition, your a bitch, and your gona lose"

Typically dont like gritty but i guess we semi aline on this topic, wish he wouldn't have posted the video tho 🤣
I listened to that and I generally like Call’s stuff but yeah that was a bit much.

What was the video he was referring to?

JonnyB

WKR
The only Hunt Quietly podcast I listened to was Larry's posted a couple weeks ago. Thank God Matt didn't host that one and it was a great listen. Because I listened to that one, after another podcast I was listening to yesterday finished, it automatically started a hunt quietly episode after. It was the episode discussing Cam Hanes and Rogan talking about Matt. It was only 12 minutes and I listened to that Rogan episode, so I figured it was worth giving Matt an opportunity to share his side and make the necessary points. I was able to make it halfway through before having to shut it off. I simply cannot listen to the whining about people shooting more than one animal. On top of that, any hunter that claims that even with all the money in the world that they would sit on their thumbs because their freezer is already full is on such an insufferable holier-than-thou high horse that they shouldn't even care what a mere greedy barbaric peasant like me that wants to kill more than one animal a year thinks. Either you're full of yourself or a liar - seems like he'd make a great social media star with either of those personalities.

That was strike three for me. I'm out on the hunt quietly thing. If he really wants this movement to take off (the core of it has some great legs and points), I'd highly recommend he walks away and passes the torch.
I couldn't agree more on Jim being a great host. I echo the same sentiment another commenter posted about how Matt tends to speak in hyperbole and his point is much like swallowing pills without water, it's hard to get past the taste, but it is helpful at its core.

Stoney920

Lil-Rokslider
I’m still kinda on the fence but I will say I have to agree with some of what I think he is trying to get at. More access would definitely be ok with me.

tpm231030

FNG
Enjoy it. They make fantastic gear. It's kind of the in thing to hate on Sitka and call those who wear it "fanboys." My loyalty starts with my wallet. I will buy what works for me. Having used several manufacturers, Sitka checks the most boxes for what I want in a hunting clothing line. But if someone else comes along and checks more, I'll jump ship in a second.
I'll second that! Sitka gear isn't cheap, and because of that I probably deliberate more than I should on everything I buy from them. That said, I zero regrets on any purchases I have made, and I don't have to agree with their total marketing strategy to believe in their product. They aren't entitled to my business, there is plenty of competition out there.