Rem 700 Bolt Release Issue

fellas2

FNG
Looking for some guidance. About 10 years ago i had E.R. Shaw build me a custom Rem 700 in . 260 using an action from a .243. In the build they ibstalled a Timney adjustable trigger. Haven't shot it a ton over the years, just enough to check zero every year and kill a couple bucks with it. A few years back i shot at a buck and it required a follow up shot and when i cycled the bolt it came all the way out. Didn't think much of it and due to killing one in archery season the past 4-5 years i haven't needed to use it, Today i was playing around with it due to me wanting to use it during doe season and when i cycled the bolt it came out again. I removed the stock and tried numerous times but when i depress the bolt release it sticks in the released position. I tried cleaning and lubing everything but didn't help. If i give the release a little help it will close, but seems to be binding either on the button release part thats pinned to the trigger side or the actual bolt release, but i'm leaning toward the button assembly. Any suggestions ?

I had a similar issue with a 700 Classic from the 80's. I took everything apart and reviewed the functionality and never found anything that was broken or worn. Eventually, I found that I had to pull down or "Force set" the release into the locked position. I did actually clean those pieces and deliberately kept them free from lube etc. Never had an issue with it in the field but it is always in the back of my mind. when I hunt with that rifle. I agree with TaperPin to check the spring and also review the trigger installation parts. I understand that your situation is different as the bolt did come out during a hunt.

BBob

WKR
Most of the time when one hangs up it is at the bolt stop spring and the bolt stop release interface. The hook on the release where it meets the spring needs to get bent either a little forward or backwards and sometimes needs a little twist one way or another to keep it from binding. There is no right way or defined step by step instructions to do it, just a little experience and some trial and error.IMG_2309.jpeg

Last edited:

Wrench

WKR
The stamping on the actual stop can have some rough edges, the tab on the bolt release can bend, the bolt release can touch the stock and the spring can need a bit of love....all assuming it's clean.

packer58

WKR
Most of the time when one hangs up it is at the bolt stop spring and the bolt stop release interface. The hook on the release where it meets the spring needs to get bent either a little forward or backwards and sometimes needs a little twist one way or another to keep it from binding. There is no right way or defined step by step instructions to do it, just a little experience and some trial and error.
This is the right answer above, use the pic provided for reference. The release arm and lever can be very finicky to get adjusted properly. You'll notice in the pic above that the bolt release arm is slightly bent to nest in the notch of the lever.

Curhunter

FNG
It wouldn't hurt to check the pin near the magazine well. If it isn't in far enough it can pinch the bolt release.