Remington 700 bolt knob, gunsmith?

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I was reading a bit about how the way the bolt handle is attached to the bolt on a Remington 700 is sort of a weak point. Some guys were saying they had a gunsmith actually drill in and insert a bolt to strengthen the connection of the handle to the bolt.

Has anybody here done this? Who did it for you?

Thanks!!!

.280AI

FNG
I had bolt handle come off the bolt on a hunt. Remington bolt appeared to be soldered on. I fell in a creek when crossing and got my gun wet. That night it was in the teens so I think that helped weaken the soldering. I had a new bolt handle TIG welded on been fine since. Used local gunsmith for the repair.

OP
thinhorn_AK

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"

Edit, just looked at that. Seems like it’s more about replacing bolt knobs rather than pinning the actual bolt handle to the bolt.

OP
thinhorn_AK

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I had bolt handle come off the bolt on a hunt. Remington bolt appeared to be soldered on. I fell in a creek when crossing and got my gun wet. That night it was in the teens so I think that helped weaken the soldering. I had a new bolt handle TIG welded on been fine since. Used local gunsmith for the repair.

I’d like to avoid that.

Edit, just looked at that. Seems like it’s more about replacing bolt knobs rather than pinning the actual bolt handle to the bolt.
Yeah after reading you OP I realized I didn't know what you were asking at 1st.
I've heard of guys having the handle redone due to poor timing but not pinned because of breakage.

Id still suggest a call to LRI seems he has this kinda stuff down. And quick turn around.
When alot of smiths don't even want to do small work.

OP
thinhorn_AK

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
Yeah after reading you OP I realized I didn't know what you were asking at 1st.
I've heard of guys having the handle redone due to poor timing but not pinned because of breakage.

Id still suggest a call to LRI seems he has this kinda stuff down. And quick turn around.
When alot of smiths don't even want to do small work.

I’ll give him a call. I was just reading that the military often does this with their sniper rifles that are built from m700 rifles.

drmatara

FNG
LRI does a fine job when it comes to things like this. Got mine fixed from them like a week ago and I'm happy with what they did.

OP
thinhorn_AK

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
Awesome, I guess I’ll be giving them a call tomorrow.

Thanks everybody!!!

OP
thinhorn_AK

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
Another option to get your bolt handle Tig welded.

BP

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Accu-Tig is who I would suggest also. He's in Fairbanks.

Jeremy
I had one done by accu-tig, am very pleased.

Thanks for the reccomendations for accu-tig, I got my bolt back from him today, all welded up. Seems like top notch work. I installed a trigger tech trigger as well while the gun was waiting for its new bolt.

Last edited: