Reps and Strength/Power training

Archelk

Lil-Rokslider
Archelk, which lifts gave you injury problems?

Man I really can't be positive but I have cut out all heavy overhead squats and Handstand PU's. My neurologists said that my neck issue was chronic over a length of time and some of the Crossfit movements probably contributed to my neck. I lifted heavy OHS's (225-245lb) and after my last session is when I started to have some issues that required surgery. Also when I would do HSPU'S I always used a pad for my head but god knows how many times I bounced my head at the bottom when fatigued which in hindsight prob was compressing my vertebrae. Things happen when your fatigued and form is usually one that goes so that may have contributed too. I have not had a traumatic event happen to my neck that would have contributed to the issues that I had. But after this surgery I am looking more at a bodyweight Crossfit module regimen with SealFit as well for my programming. I will still lift weight but HSPU's and heavy overhead are out the window for me. Personal choice. Looking forward to getting Training for the New Alpinism. After I read it I may very well do that programming to try out.

Climber

FNG
Archelk- I wouldn't get too worried about having to stop some of those workouts and I feel you are making the smart move. I LOVE doing heavy cleans and shoulder presses but as soon as i start getting on a heavy cycle where I'm making good progress, my rotator cuff starts giving me a lot of issues. I finally decided that the heavy weight needed to stop and I'm now focusing on my weaker attributes. While I miss some of the heavier workouts, I realize for my long-term goals, I have to let it go.

I have always felt that if i were limited to only one exercise, I would do 100 burpees a day for time, and could stay in awesome shape. Hope your neck heals up quickly. Its a bummer getting sidelined with an injury.

I have always felt that if i were limited to only one exercise, I would do 100 burpees a day for time, and could stay in awesome shape.

^this. I remember about two years ago one of thE crossfit open WODs was 7 min amrap burpees. It was horrible but I still try to do that exact wod twice a month. Only takes 7 minutes but works awesome.

Archelk

Lil-Rokslider
Archelk- I wouldn't get too worried about having to stop some of those workouts and I feel you are making the smart move. I LOVE doing heavy cleans and shoulder presses but as soon as i start getting on a heavy cycle where I'm making good progress, my rotator cuff starts giving me a lot of issues. I finally decided that the heavy weight needed to stop and I'm now focusing on my weaker attributes. While I miss some of the heavier workouts, I realize for my long-term goals, I have to let it go.

I have always felt that if i were limited to only one exercise, I would do 100 burpees a day for time, and could stay in awesome shape. Hope your neck heals up quickly. Its a bummer getting sidelined with an injury.

Could not agree with you more! And yes burpees are the best especially when you throw bar facing into the mix and yes Arbutusbucks that WOD was killer. Yeah I just realized that there are more important things in life than lifting heavy especially at the sake of being able to do other things that you love in life and want to teach your kids to do. Fitness will always be very important to me but I just gotta cater my WOD'S to getting older and being smarter. My neurologists did an amazing job and hopefully I'll be cleared for full duty at the PD in two more weeks although the first two*weeks of getting back into my programming is not going to be fun.

jmez

WKR
Why I don't lift heavy much anymore. There just isn't any point. I always scale on overhead squats and snatches. Most days my scaling includes me not doing those. Don't feel comfortable with them and no point in injuring myself. I just do the prescribed weights on the WOD"s unless it is those two exercises. We have a couple meatheads that load the bar, but as our coach says, if you feel you need to add more weight you didn't work hard enough.

Sounds like we need to get a 100 day burpee challenge going! I've done it the last 4 years leading up to elk season. You start on day 1 with one burpee. You then add a burpee every day until you get to 100. They can be done in any breakup or fashion. If you skip a day, you do the day priors total and then that days total as well. I don't remember the number but it is a ridiculous number of burpees by the time you are finished.

Eagle

WKR
Just a word of caution on those 100 day burpee challenges, they can wreak havoc on your shoulders. I'd strongly advice against that.

Archelk

Lil-Rokslider
Why I don't lift heavy much anymore. There just isn't any point. I always scale on overhead squats and snatches. Most days my scaling includes me not doing those. Don't feel comfortable with them and no point in injuring myself. I just do the prescribed weights on the WOD"s unless it is those two exercises. We have a couple meatheads that load the bar, but as our coach says, if you feel you need to add more weight you didn't work hard enough.

Sounds like we need to get a 100 day burpee challenge going! I've done it the last 4 years leading up to elk season. You start on day 1 with one burpee. You then add a burpee every day until you get to 100. They can be done in any breakup or fashion. If you skip a day, you do the day priors total and then that days total as well. I don't remember the number but it is a ridiculous number of burpees by the time you are finished.

Jmez I am totally down for that. I try to do the 100 day challenge at least once a year. Im going the last week of September for Archery which for me will be perfect timing with 100 days out and getting cleared by the doctor in a week and a half.