Research Paralysis 10x vs 12x vs Rangefinding

Netherman

WKR
I got the OK from the boss to spend a "stupid" amount of money and upgrade my binos this year. I've been reading tons of reviews and still am unsure what would be ideal for me. So, I'm looking for some advice. Currently I have 10x42 diamondbacks and primarily hunt MI and take 1-2 trips out west each year. MI hunting is whitetails in the hardwoods and western hunts are either archery elk hunts or spot and stalk rifle hunts for deer/antelope.

At this moment I am leaning towards 10x because I think 12x will be too cumbersome in a MI treestand as well as dark timber elk hunting. But with all the praise that the 12x are receiving I wonder if I should get a badass pair of 12s and then use the 10s I currently have for treestand and timber situations. To add to my dilemma there are range finding options which might be a hassle on an archery hunt, but sound awesome for spot and stalk.

I'm curious if there are any easterners using 12x binos at home as well as anyone's love/hate experiences with RF binos and whether they are worth the cost/reduction in optical performance.

gr8fuldoug

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I would suggest a quality 10x and to make them go "that extra mile" tripod mount them. Hand holding a 12x is not the way to go.

It would be my pleasure to discuss this with you, 516-217-1000
Doug

Define "stupid"...I can get pretty stupid when given license to do so.

Agree with Doug on 10s...you can do a surprising amount with 10's on a tripod. I carry a separate range finder so that's a non-issue for me.

Really stupid: Swaro ELs, Leica Noctavids, Zeiss Victory
Kinda stupid: Swaro SLC, Leica Ultravid HD/HD+
Honey I'm not as stupid as you think I am: Maven, GPO, Zeiss Conquest, Nikon HG, Leica Trinovid, Meopta Meostar, Cabelas Euro

If it's me and I can do anything I want, I flip a coin on any of the top 3.

I own a pair of Ultravid HD+ (got from Doug actually) and they're incredible. I want for nothing with them.

If it's me and I'm being smart about it, I pick something from the "not as stupid as you think I am" line and then take my wife out for a nice dinner, maybe even a weekend at the Grand Traverse Resort. And still have change for a nice tripod setup. For me personally, since you hunt MI, probably some of it in a treestand or a blind, probably with one or both hands full some of the time, the ergonomics will be important. Nikon and Leica win that contest for me personally. GPO is close behind (actually own the 10s). I love the Maven glass for the money but the B2s are the optical winners over the B1s and they don't work well single handed for me.

Mid-tier glass brings tremendous value and will be miles above your diamondbacks. If the name on the side matters, go with a big name manufacturer (Nikon, Leica, Swaro, Zeiss) at a mid-tier price point. If the name doesn't matter, Maven and GPO will get you most everything the big names get you.

I agree with Doug. For what you are describing, the single most versatile pair would be 10x42 and putting them on a tripod will be helpful for long glassing sessions. I have an optics problem (I like optics) and currently have 8x32, 8.5x42, and 12x50. For treestand i use the 8x32. For out West this year i will be using the 8.5x42 on my chest and the 12x50 on a tripod. The 12s are not ideal for free-handing. I also agree with Doug regarding calling him to discuss. He took great care of me with my 12x50s. I will say this...if you can afford alpha glass (Swaro, Leica, Zeiss) then do it as it is absolutely worth it. You will have a set of binos to last a LONG time and they will be a pleasure to look through for hours on end.

I would vote for the 10's personally.. Regarding the RF, I like them separate. When I am archery hunting with a bow in hand closing the distance. Its way easier to use the compact RF with one hand vs trying to hold the heavier RF combo and getting a range.

wildcat33

WKR
For what you are describing, Im thinking 8s would serve you better than 10s. Since most your use is back in MI, I think you would find 8s more versatile, but not totally lacking out west. I really love the field of view that 8 power offers, especially bow hunting and in the timber (and freehand glassing). If you want to roll with a tripod, then 10s for sure.

Consider you are coming from the diamondbacks any of the choices listed would give you the wow factor, no offense. IMO tier 2 and 3 in Homebru's list would serve you fantastic. The meopta and nikon are super solid choices that leave room for a good RF.

aron

WKR
Do you have a spotting scope to compliment the binos on your trips out west? I have 12's and hunt whitetails in thick timber. The 12's are a little too much for my liking for in the trees and absolutely prefer 10's for that. I would go for 10s beings most of your hunting is in MI. The 12's in open country are awesome for picking the area apart. I free hand my 12's and that can be difficult when hiking in and tired with only one free hand to hold them.

OP
N

Netherman

WKR
Thanks guys. You've helped solidify my decision on 10 over 12. I'm still mulling range finding or not, but will likely go without as I am looking at the "kinda stupid" group and the RF binos are significantly more money. Plus for archery hunting and MI hunts a handheld rangefinder is preferred or unnecessary. Now I need to go look thru some options. Based on my research I think SLCs are what I crave, but want to see what looks best to my eyes.

Doug - I'll definitely be giving you a call when I'm ready to pull the trigger.

My reasoning to go with 10 vs 12:
Could use at home as well as out west. 12x would likely be too powerful in a treestand type hunt.
I'm not overly shaky but after an uphill sprint I've had enough trouble with 10s to think that 12x would be hand-holdable.
I already have a spotting scope (vanguard 65) and my hunting buddy has 15x binos (vultures) that I could borrow if he isn't along, so I think we should have the longer stuff covered. We'll probably look to upgrade these at some point, but for as readily available as sand is glass ain't cheap.

Beendare

WKR
For what you are describing, Im thinking 8s would serve you better than 10s. Since most your use is back in MI, I think you would find 8s more versatile, but not totally lacking out west. I really love the field of view that 8 power offers, especially bow hunting and in the timber (and freehand glassing). If you want to roll with a tripod, then 10s for sure......

I would agree with that^. A good pair of Swaro 8x42s would serve you well. I do a lot of hunting out west and use my 8X over my 10x many times. Though you will see comments that the 12x50 swaros are amazing glass....[they are! ]perfect for wide open desert Coues hunting- stuff like that....but not the best for the hunting you do. The 12s are big...and harder to hand hold....plus they are over $3k.

My 8x EDG's are my choice for all around hunting; elk, pig, whitetail hunting...just about everything that isn't just wide open spaces...though the 8's do pretty good there too. If I'm desert hunting Mulies, comes deer, Javi's or something like a sheep hunt- I take my 10x SLC's.

I think the 8x is perfect for you.......but 10's are good too.

FWIW, There are some very good $1000 binos...but it seems that most guys that do a lot of hunting eventually upgrade to the Big 3-Swaro, Zeiss Victory, Leica.

Hope that helps.

wildcat33

WKR
Thanks guys. You've helped solidify my decision on 10 over 12. I'm still mulling range finding or not, but will likely go without as I am looking at the "kinda stupid" group and the RF binos are significantly more money. Plus for archery hunting and MI hunts a handheld rangefinder is preferred or unnecessary. Now I need to go look thru some options. Based on my research I think SLCs are what I crave, but want to see what looks best to my eyes.

Sounds like you are on the right track. There is an element of personal taste in color perception and ergos. One word of caution, once you look through the SLCs, you wont be happy with anything less. That happened to me with spotting scopes.