Responsible Gun Owner Kills Mall Shooter

Look at the title of this article then read it. I don't understand why they do not highlight how a response gun owner saved the day for many. It's basically brushed under the rug.

At least the police chief recognized the heroic efforts.

sndmn11

WKR
I didn't realize that the mall prohibited firearms. I will be interested to see if any pursuit of their rights as private property owners is undertaken by whoever owns the mall and made that rule for their property.

The young man could put on his resume, "I got banned from the mall for stopping murders".

I live in Indiana and I can tell you the man who stopped the shooter has been called a hero by local law enforcement, the mayor and local media. Simon property group who owns the mall however simply acknowledged that he was carrying a gun in the mall and shouldn’t have been.

Doesn’t seem biased or anything to me. Reports the pertinent facts… including the fact that the responsible gun owner was carrying in a place where the property owner had signage prohibiting the carrying of firearms. I am pretty sure all the survivors are grateful that the RGO ignored that prohibition. The police chief was full of praise which was duly reported.

Rob5589

WKR
Not exactly brushed under the rug but, certainly not highlighted, either. Everyone else in that mall is grateful for the guy carrying, regardless if he violated mall policy. Kid had some cajones on him to engage a rifle wielding POS with just a pistol. There are certain LE agencies that could take some lessons from him...

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I don't go to our malls much, but if I do I'm always carrying even though they have signage banning guns. Same for banks etc. IMO my and other's safety will always come first over being a victim, or allowing others to be victims. These gun free zones really need to start providing adequate protection (i.e. crime never happens there or is stopped immediately when it does) or they need to be sued when it does happen and there wasn't adequate protection to stop it immediately. I'm of the belief that no gun free zone businesses or otherwise could ever provide full protection as needed, and that's why personal carry is so important. Insurance companies need to get onboard with denying coverage for gun free zones. They won't, because they're in cahoots with the mindset of disarming Americans.......but they should. The Paul Blart's aren't going to stop any shootings from happening. Just like the police force, they can't be everywhere all the time, and in many cases you wouldn't want them there anyway.

I live in Indiana and I can tell you the man who stopped the shooter has been called a hero by local law enforcement, the mayor and local media. Simon property group who owns the mall however simply acknowledged that he was carrying a gun in the mall and shouldn’t have been.

Got a link on additional mall statements? The only one I saw was the one below where they said they are grateful for the heroic actions of the guy who intervened.

We grieve for the victims of yesterday’s horrific tragedy in Greenwood. Violence has no place in this or any other community. We are grateful for the strong response of the first responders, including the heroic actions of the Good Samaritan who stopped the suspect."

I also couldn't find if the mall actually has the "firearms prohibited" signs on the doors but have seen the media reference the "code of conduct" policy stating no weapons allowed. If they didn't have it obvious on the entrances, its much less of a story IMO. Anyone ever read a mall's "code of conduct" to make sure they were shopping appropriately?

ODB

WKR
Got a link on additional mall statements? The only one I saw was the one below where they said they are grateful for the heroic actions of the guy who intervened.

I also couldn't find if the mall actually has the "firearms prohibited" signs on the doors but have seen the media reference the "code of conduct" policy stating no weapons allowed. If they didn't have it obvious on the entrances, its much less of a story IMO. Anyone ever read a mall's "code of conduct" to make sure they were shopping appropriately?

Had the gunman read the code of conduct, surely this whole thing would have been avoided… he would have never thought to break “the code.”

Of course to top it off, there are supposedly some gun control advocacy groups complaining about the positive coverage and private citizen who shot the gunman. They don't want to recognize the fact the good guys and gals prevent a lot of deaths and crimes from happening.

Good job on the young man for stepping up and taking care of business. I also wonder if the mall had signage posted stating anything about the no guns rule?

D S 319

WKR
I thought I was educated during my carry class that a sign like that is more or less a recommendation unless they specifically see and ask you to not have it? Could be wrong.

I thought I was educated during my carry class that a sign like that is more or less a recommendation unless they specifically see and ask you to not have it? Could be wrong.

I believe the laws are state specific. Seems what you laid out is a common scenario that you can disregard signs but business can ask you to leave or at least come back unarmed or be subject to trespassing charges.

Fatcamp

WKR
I believe the laws are state specific. Seems what you laid out is a common scenario that you can disregard signs but business can ask you to leave or at least come back unarmed or be subject to trespassing charges.

Yup, state specific.

Edit: no longer valid as the timeline reported has been updated to 15 seconds vs 2 minutes.

Seems everyone is also fortunate that the gunman was either completely incompetent or wasn't fully committed to or trying to kill as many people as possible. 2 minutes of shooting with an AR in a mall food court and he only hit 4 people directly?

Last edited:

MattB

WKR
Of course to top it off, there are supposedly some gun control advocacy groups complaining about the positive coverage and private citizen who shot the gunman. They don't want to recognize the fact the good guys and gals prevent a lot of deaths and crimes from happening.
Kris Brown, President of Brady:

“Here’s what we’re not going to do: continue to uplift the NRA myth of a ‘good guy with a gun,'” Brown tweeted. “Let me be clear: If more guns made us safer, America would be the safest country in the WORLD. We need sensible gun laws, not vigilante safety nets.”

At some point in the US we will need to start dealing with young marginalized "men". I put men in parenthesis because in reality most of these shooters are just beyond being a boy in age but still well stuck in the adolescent mental maturity.

How many mass shootings do we need to see by this population group to realize it is a real problem that needs dealt with?

I just tried to look this up for my home state. I'm an educated fella and I think I found my answer, but I'm not too confident about it. I wish they made it easier to know what the law is. I'm undecided between incompetence or purposeful obfuscation.