Rest placement and arrow length?

Curious how close you like to set up you drop away to the riser and how short do you cut your arrows?
Pic for reference

Attachments

• IMG_9512.png
    IMG_9512.png
    850.3 KB · Views: 31

nphunter

WKR
I like about 1/4" of clearance to the back of my collar or 1" of shaft in front of the rest. I'm comfortable shooting shorter but like to be able to make draw length adjustments and not worry about having too short of arrows.

nphunter

WKR
My rest is placed according to where it torque tunes usually.

Arrows generally cut at the berger hole, sometimes shorter.

Curious what your thoughts are on the integrate rests? I know you can't torque tune with a lot of the new rests, even before the integrate a lot of the rests fit tight against the risers. So would you torque tune with the site and adjust peep size after that or just align the peep and sight with each other and skip the torque tuning?

Curious what your thoughts are on the integrate rests? I know you can't torque tune with a lot of the new rests, even before the integrate a lot of the rests fit tight against the risers. So would you torque tune with the site and adjust peep size after that or just align the peep and sight with each other and skip the torque tuning?

That's the thing I hate about the integrated rests, except the QAD TRI. I really like that rest, but it of course allows you to slide. And nobody is interested in using it to hunt with.

My last few hunting bows have tuned with the rest closer to the riser, I believe it's because of the reflex riser, but don't know. So actually the QAD integrate MX has gotten me closer in than the MXT I have previously used, or the Hamskea.

But yeah, the lack of adjustment with most of the integrate sucks. Best thing is to torque tune with your sight, then as you said adjust your peep to then fit the housing.

So for me so far it's mostly been a non issue, but I think if I was shooting a neutral riser hunting bow I'd definitely want to be able to slide the rest back, which many of the integrate rests are made in a traditional berger mount style too, but you loose the sleekness and cool factor.

I'd like to see a drop away rest that has the integrate but allows some fore/aft movement. I prefer the integrate mount as I feel it's less likely to shift than a single bolt in the Berger hole, tho I haven't ever had an issue with that. Or if more hunting bows had a double Berger hole mount.

But all of this stuff is also making things complicated, it doesn't need to be. K.I.S.S. works fine too, it's just a hunting bow. We chase our tails over things that mean very little in the sceme of things. More time spent in good practice is generally the correct answer.

That's the thing I hate about the integrated rests, except the QAD TRI. I really like that rest, but it of course allows you to slide. And nobody is interested in using it to hunt with.

My last few hunting bows have tuned with the rest closer to the riser, I believe it's because of the reflex riser, but don't know. So actually the QAD integrate MX has gotten me closer in than the MXT I have previously used, or the Hamskea.

But yeah, the lack of adjustment with most of the integrate sucks. Best thing is to torque tune with your sight, then as you said adjust your peep to then fit the housing.

So for me so far it's mostly been a non issue, but I think if I was shooting a neutral riser hunting bow I'd definitely want to be able to slide the rest back, which many of the integrate rests are made in a traditional berger mount style too, but you loose the sleekness and cool factor.

I'd like to see a drop away rest that has the integrate but allows some fore/aft movement. I prefer the integrate mount as I feel it's less likely to shift than a single bolt in the Berger hole, tho I haven't ever had an issue with that. Or if more hunting bows had a double Berger hole mount.

But all of this stuff is also making things complicated, it doesn't need to be. K.I.S.S. works fine too, it's just a hunting bow. We chase our tails over things that mean very little in the sceme of things. More time spent in good practice is generally the correct answer.

Here's where my v3x ultimately torque tuned the best, right at the berger hole.
Screenshot_20231218_182923_Gallery.jpg

My TRX's have tt further out from the grip, generally about 1/2-3/4" back from the edge of the riser, but they have pretty neutral risers. Most of my previous bows I was usually about the back of the riser, or within 1/2".

I haven't messed much with the Lift yet, but I suspect it won't be as far forward as the V3X as it doesn't have as much reflex, but I could be incorrect. I hated that V3X with the first rest I had on it, replaced it with an integrated MX and it was a lot better, once I put that TRI on it, I started to really get along with that bow.

Sight also ends up sucked in tight to the riser, so it could be the reflex/reflex doesn't have that much to do with it. Haven't ever defined what makes it happen to myself. And bows that were ideal for me needed a fair amount of rest movement to work for others. So it's largely individual, but I'm certain bow characteristics play into it as well.

OP
C
I putting together a sbxt i decided to rebuild and using newer style drop away and dovetail sight.
A lot different then the wisker bisket/copper John days.

nphunter

WKR
Here's where my v3x ultimately torque tuned the best, right at the berger hole.
View attachment 644203

My TRX's have tt further out from the grip, generally about 1/2-3/4" back from the edge of the riser, but they have pretty neutral risers. Most of my previous bows I was usually about the back of the riser, or within 1/2".

I haven't messed much with the Lift yet, but I suspect it won't be as far forward as the V3X as it doesn't have as much reflex, but I could be incorrect. I hated that V3X with the first rest I had on it, replaced it with an integrated MX and it was a lot better, once I put that TRI on it, I started to really get along with that bow.

Sight also ends up sucked in tight to the riser, so it could be the reflex/reflex doesn't have that much to do with it. Haven't ever defined what makes it happen to myself. And bows that were ideal for me needed a fair amount of rest movement to work for others. So it's largely individual, but I'm certain bow characteristics play into it as well.
It would be nice if someone made some mini integrated spacers a person could use. Maybe I will just try washers since the plate is bolted onto my new Mach 34 and if it tunes away from the riser I will just make a nice aluminum spacer for it. No real way to test it forward of the riser though.

It would be nice if someone made some mini integrated spacers a person could use. Maybe I will just try washers since the plate is bolted onto my new Mach 34 and if it tunes away from the riser I will just make a nice aluminum spacer for it. No real way to test it forward of the riser though.

That's not a terrible idea.

Might get a little ghetto, but it would fit with my home made cable stops.