Rest thoughts

dkime

WKR
I am having some mid winter thoughts so take that for what its worth. I have run various rests over the years, trophy taker, limb driver, qad, hamskea, etc. And they've all had one thing in common by the end of my use for them. BROKEN. I'm hard on shit and that's really all it boils down to. I'm sitting here staring at my whisker biscuit after designing and manufacturing full capture blades for my current hamskea to fix what the old OG biscuit has already solved. Has anyone else gone "backwards" in their pursuit to the biscuit?

There is being hard on equipment and then there is just being careless. Maybe the problem isn't the equipment?

Edit: I do believe if going for fool proof then the whisker biscuit is the best choice. I have one of the original ones by Carolina Archery Products and it has killed many animals. It is on my back up bow now but that thing has held up surprisingly well.

I’ve run 3 QAD drop aways on 3 bows since 2005. I still have all three, they have thousands of shots between them, one is probably well over 10,000, and never had one failure. Had some of the ripcords get loose at knot of get cut, all my fault. It’s actually kind of crazy to think about, they’ve all been rained on, snowed on, froze/thawed and dropped.

bsnedeker

WKR
I've seen accuracy tests that demonstrate you don't get much of an advantage by using a drop away test vs a whisker biscuit, at least out to 60 yards or so. After that the drop away is much more accurate.

If you don't do a lot of long range shooting I think you'll be fine.

I also concur with previous writer... you may want to be more careful with the one tool you absolutely can not fill an archery without... your bow!

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

OP
D

dkime

WKR
There is being hard on equipment and then there is just being careless. Maybe the problem isn't the equipment?

Edit: I do believe if going for fool proof then the whisker biscuit is the best choice. I have one of the original ones by Carolina Archery Products and it has killed many animals. It is on my back up bow now but that thing has held up surprisingly well.

My biggest issue aside from having cords getting snagged on objects while crawling has been the arrow bouncing around inside the cage while at rest. Even my QAD's seem to have a noise, albeit it better than the others.

OP
D

dkime

WKR
I’ve run 3 QAD drop aways on 3 bows since 2005. I still have all three, they have thousands of shots between them, one is probably well over 10,000, and never had one failure. Had some of the ripcords get loose at knot of get cut, all my fault. It’s actually kind of crazy to think about, they’ve all been rained on, snowed on, froze/thawed and dropped.

In a past life, while doing some testing with companies, I've seen QAD's throw cam timing off by a good 1/4" which is really my biggest concern with using them moving forward. Of course it can be mitigated but any cable driven rest can have this issue. QAD being the best of all of them to mitigate that issue though.

OP
D

dkime

WKR
I've seen accuracy tests that demonstrate you don't get much of an advantage by using a drop away test vs a whisker biscuit, at least out to 60 yards or so. After that the drop away is much more accurate.

If you don't do a lot of long range shooting I think you'll be fine.

I also concur with previous writer... you may want to be more careful with the one tool you absolutely can not fill an archery without... your bow!

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

I would agree that I don't expect a drop in accuracy, Considering half of my year is spent shooting off a blade rest out to 80m I would never expect it to show up in a negative way.

Careful is relative, if I thought I was being too hard on equipment I would probably be rethinking everything, but this kind of stuff happens.

Welcome to midwinter blues where everything becomes a question of how I want to approach the next year lol

bsnedeker

WKR
I would agree that I don't expect a drop in accuracy, Considering half of my year is spent shooting off a blade rest out to 80m I would never expect it to show up in a negative way.

Careful is relative, if I thought I was being too hard on equipment I would probably be rethinking everything, but this kind of stuff happens.

Welcome to midwinter blues where everything becomes a question of how I want to approach the next year lol

As far as I'm aware, improved accuracy is the only selling point for a drop away rest. If you aren't concerned about that then whisker biscuit away my friend!

87TT

WKR
Easy there, you're saying the only reason you hit things is because of your rest?
Shot a biscuit for years. Finally tried a QAD and noticed an improvement right away. Only had one issue with one that a "tech" at a bow shop caused when he oiled it. Won't be going back and gave the biscuit away with a bow to a friend.

Last edited:
I have been shooting some version of the WB since I started. For me, they are tunable and bomb proof and provide peace of mind.

Been using the same QAD rest for so many years, without a problem at all.
A lot of those years shooting leagues, with thousands of shots per year.
Now that I think of it, I can't believe it's still holding up. But it is, same as when new!

You might want to reexamine how you are storing, handling and using your equipment.