Rethinking "Leave no trace"

Boarmaster

Its good to be aware. Humans impact the planet. Based on what I see on trash day in my hood Im doing my part to minimize it. I usually have one kitchen bag of trash a week. Occasionally I fill up my recycle bin. I see other driveways with two big containers both full and three or four bags laying beside them Week after week. I do live alone but holy cow some of these households make some serious trash. I wear my hunting clothing until its pretty well trashed. If I do upgrade and the clothing isbin great shape I give it away to someone that could use it or the Goodwill box. I use some electronics but I toss very few batteries a years. Most of the stuff I buy now is rechargeable. That helps not tossing 50 aaa batteries a year like I did in the past.

I used to hunt with a guy who was a litter bug. It bugged the crap out of me. I finally leaned on his azz about it. I doubt he quite it altogether but he never tossed another wrapper in the woods in front of me.

caesAR15

This isn't complicated.
  • Don't litter.
  • Consume. Less. Stuff.
This applies universally; whether you're a tree hugger, 'public landowner' or MAGA man. If you care about conservation on an individual level it all boils down to Don't litter, and Consume Less Stuff.

It's easy to tell others to do these things, it's a different story when you're one being marketed to.

caesAR15

This isn't complicated.
  • Don't litter.
  • Consume. Less. Stuff.
This applies universally; whether you're a tree hugger, 'public landowner' or MAGA man. If you care about conservation on an individual level it all boils down to Don't litter, and Consume Less Stuff.

It's easy to tell others to do these things, it's a different story when you're one being marketed to.

BTW, have you guys seen the new 2021 Hoyt's?? They've got the new FirstLite pattern. I'm thinking I need to ditch my 2020 Hoyt in Kuiu Optifade. Need to match my bow to the neck gaitor I'm running and my new Crispi boots. This will surely up my odds of success...

mauserfan

Good thought provoking thread. It motivated me to get a pair of these tote bags for my grocery shopping.
Those are great CHINESE bags. If they were DULUTH PACK bags, they were made in Duluth, Mn. I still have my Dad's Duluth Pack from 1926, been repaired twice from bear damage.......is used every year, a lot.

Mosby

Sadly the biggest promoters of these environmental lifestyle issues are phonies. Al Gore, Hollywood elites... they tell us what we should be giving up, what we don't need, what we shouldn't do, while flying on private jets, riding in limo's, driving Bentley's and going home to 20,000 foot mansions.

Worth hundreds of millions, they could care less about carbon footprint. That stuff is for the common folk and suckers IMO. Al Gore's father made millions supporting the coal industry. Al Gore got paid millions for being against it. It's all $$$, politics and power to them. They talk about global warming and rising oceans and turn around and buy multi million dollar beach properties in California and Hawaii. They don't seem to be worried about melting icebergs any time soon.

I grew up 20 miles from Woolrich. They made great stuff, it lasted forever and it weighed about 100 lbs walking up a mountain. I like to be nostalgic but it sucked. I will take the new stuff. I just wish more of it was made in the US.

I buy what's on sale and if is comfortable, I buy more of it before they stop making it. I'm frugal. I do catch and release. I only hunt what I eat. I don't leave trash in the woods or by the road. I pick up after others if I have too. I like dogs more than most people and rescue abandoned and abused animals. I do my own thing for my own reasons.

Jason K.Y. Wild

What’s frustrating for me is the amount of packaging included in every thing hunting and non hunting related. You buy a trial cam and it has plastic wrapping on the cam, on the box, the battery’s are in another bag, fishing lures are even worst.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk