Reticle choice for 7mm Remington Magnum

Mebe007

Lil-Rokslider
So I have 2 scopes sitting in the safe and 1 Remington in 7mm rem mag in need of glass. I have some reloader 22 and some 140gr nosler accubonds I plan to load up.

One scope has a standard plex reticle, the other has a bdc reticle. Figure glass quality equal.

So is the 7mm flat enough to choose plex over the bdc?

Trr15

WKR
How far are you planning on shooting? 7mm rem mag shoots pretty darn flat out to the ranges I hunt (400 yds and under)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
M

Mebe007

Lil-Rokslider
400 is the furthest I've ever shot in my life and would be the max ethical range for myself. I'm an eastern hunter and dont get many long shots on whitetailnexcept a few big fields or powerlines. But plan to take a trip out west soon enough, se montana. Would be taking the 7mm and 270 along for elk i hope in the future

Northwinds308

Lil-Rokslider
I always prefer a BDC just for more precision, it's much more accurate than "yeah hold on the hairline." That said, some people find them distracting.

My choice for a BDC is always Swarovski BRH. 0.5 Mil increments just make sense and make running your calculations easy.

Trr15

WKR
Either one will get the job done and both shoot pretty flat. I’m partial to the 7mm rem mag and under 400 yards you’re probably looking at max bullet drop of about 13-14” depending on what load you’re using. Zero at 200, limit your range to 300 yards and you can basically disregard bullet drop.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
M

Mebe007

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for the suggestions guys. So hard to get caught up in things and over think them. The 2 scopes are a leupold vx2 3-9x40 duplex and the other is a burris fullfield 3-9x40 w/E1 ballistic reticle. Or I could alway be tempted by my impulses and get the 4.5-14x42 Burris from doug @ camerlandny even though i probably dont need it

amassi

WKR
If you practice with the bdc make sure you rerun and validate your numbers at elevation.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

OP
M

Mebe007

Lil-Rokslider
I noticed all the cds knobs and ballistic calculators want elevation and temperature to be accurate

amassi

WKR
I noticed all the cds knobs and ballistic calculators want elevation and temperature to be accurate
Yes- best not to order knobs unless by some miracle you hunt the same 2000' elevation change and same temp. Leave the dial in moa or mils and dial correction with accurate dope from real time weather conditions.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk