Revic Acura S80a Spotting Scope Review ***Updated 10/22/22***

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
I'll be reviewing the Revic Acura S80a spotting scope over the next few months. It is unique because it comes standard with two eyepieces. A standard 27-55x eyepiece for normal glassing and a fixed 22x eyepiece with a reticle for spotting shots. Let me know what questions you have and I'll be sure to answer them as I test this out. Revic Acura Spotting Scope

***Update 10/22/22*** Revic Acura S80a Review

20220421_193654.jpg

Last edited:
OP
Justin Crossley

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
I did some observations with the Revic next to my Swaro ATS 20-60x80 HD this weekend and I have to say it was hard to tell a difference. This was done during the middle of the day with good light but still impressive I thought.

The reticle is going to be useful for making shot corrections.

20220424_143055.jpg

Mhopper5

Lil-Rokslider
Wish I had that transformer. Lead time on those is around 60 weeks for a new one 😳

Years ago I justified my first spotting scope to read pole mount transformer name plates from the ground 🤫. It works good for hunting too 😂

OP
Justin Crossley

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
Last weekend I took the Revic spotter to a long-range competition to test it out in real conditions. The winds were ranging from about 18 mph to 35 mph so it was not easy to keep things steady for good testing. The Revic did work well though and I was once again impressed with the clarity.

As expected, the reticle made it easy to call corrections although I do think it should have a mil and moa reticle in it. Luckily I'm decent at converting in my head because the majority of the shooters were using mils.

A friend of mine has a Vortex Razor spotter and put them side by side at the competition. We both thought the Revic was noticeably better. He commented how much better he liked the eyepiece specifically.

Rileyb10

FNG
I'll be reviewing the Revic Acura S80a spotting scope over the next few months. It is unique because it comes standard with two eyepieces. A standard 27-55x eyepiece for normal glassing and a fixed 22x eyepiece with a reticle for spotting shots. Let me know what questions you have and I'll be sure to answer them as I test this out. Revic Acura Spotting Scope

View attachment 403809
How are you liking this scope? I've been thinking of picking one up but just not sure how it compares to other scopes on the market as far as glass clarity is concerned. Definitely looking for something better than vortex glass but like that I can get the scope and tripod in a combo package for close to the same price as Swarovski. What are your thoughts after having the scope for awhile?

OP
Justin Crossley

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
How are you liking this scope? I've been thinking of picking one up but just not sure how it compares to other scopes on the market as far as glass clarity is concerned. Definitely looking for something better than vortex glass but like that I can get the scope and tripod in a combo package for close to the same price as Swarovski. What are your thoughts after having the scope for awhile?
The glass is very similar to if not the same as Vortex or Maven. My personal ratings of those three would be Maven, Revic, and then Vortex in terms of clarity.

The Swarovski ATS spotting scope is better, IMO.

The Revic excels if you want to use it with and without the reticle or, as you mentioned, want to get everything in one package.

Last edited:
The one eye piece does sound nice.

However, for that price wouldn’t most folks be far better off grabbing a Kowa 88x (as an example) which can be found for around $2500 periodically?

OP
Justin Crossley

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
The one eye piece does sound nice.

However, for that price wouldn’t most folks be far better off grabbing a Kowa 88x (as an example) which can be found for around $2500 periodically?
That would definitely be an option. I haven't used the Kowa 88 personally, but I know most people rate them very high.

I do think the challenge for the Revic spotter will be the price point. There is a lot of really good glass at or below the $2,500 level. Most don't offer the reticle though....

Rileyb10

FNG
The glass is very similar to if not the same as Vortex or Maven. My personal ratings of those three would be Maven, Revic, and then Vortex in terms of clarity.

The Swarovski ATS spotting scope is better, IMO.

The Revic excels if you want to use it with and without the reticle or, as you mentioned, want to get everything in one package.
Bought the scope last week. Pretty similar to vortex razor. Not a huge fan of the neoprene case and wish they would have included lens caps if I decided to take the case off. Overall though it’s a good scope.

OP
Justin Crossley

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
Bought the scope last week. Pretty similar to vortex razor. Not a huge fan of the neoprene case and wish they would have included lens caps if I decided to take the case off. Overall though it’s a good scope.
I agree about the case and the lack of lens caps. I'm thinking about getting one of the Magview adapters for it since it would double as a lens cover.

OP
Justin Crossley

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
I should have this review completed in the next week or so.

The Revic worked great on my antelope hunt this week. I used it side by side with my Swarovski ATS 20-60x80 and it really held its own out in the field. Antelope are really hard to judge (at least for me) and I was very pleased with the clarity of the Revic throughout the hunt.

2022 Antelope-16 - Resized.jpg

2022 Antelope-17 - Resized.jpg