Review: Browning Xbolt Pro 300 WSM

LightFoot

WKR
The more I shoot this gun, the better it shoots and the more I like it.

Accuracy-
This is most important quality in a rifle. During the rifle's break-in, it was a little picky. I haven't reloaded in a few years so I am only feeding it factory ammo. It liked Hornady PH 200gr ELD-X. Now that the barrel is broken in, it shoots almost anything under an inch, even loads it didn't like before. I am currently zeroed with Federal Premium 165gr TSX. I chrono'd the Fed at 3100, 3,116, 3134, and 3128 fps for 4 consecutive shots, for an average of 3119.5 fps.

Trigger-
The factory trigger is adequate. For hunting, it is better than adequate. However, on the range, trying different loads, it left some to de desired. I did not want to go with the Timney because it eliminates the bolt release button, which locks/unlocks the bolt when the safety is engaged. After quite a bit of internal debate, I ordered and installed a m*carbo spring. It is not a jewel or trigger tech, but it got it to where I wanted it to be. I haven't measure the pull (guessing about 2.5 lbs). The feel is right for me.

Stock-
This is where the money is. I love the carbon stock. It looks good and is stiff. It also doesn't have that sticky duratouch feel like the Hells Canyon. The butt pad soaks up a little recoil, but the brake it the heavy lifter there. The recoil lug is bedded in there so stiff that it is quite difficult to remove the stock. I appreciate this and I imagine it is a factor in accuracy.

Optics-
I went through several different scopes to find what worked for me. I started with the Vortex Razor HD LH 3-15x42. This is what I used on my AK Caribou hunt. It worked and I don't have anything negative to say. I changed because I wanted to have the ability to dial instead of using reticle holdover. I went to a Mark 5 Leupold next. The optic was just too bulky for the rifle for me. It wore a couple others and I ultimately settled on the Leupold VX-3i 4.5-14x40 (30mm) wind-plex in Talley Lightweight low rings with a bubble level.

Overall-
The Leupold/Talley combination brought the setup down to just over 7lbs. I can strap this to my pack and not notice much if any difference. I am going to use the Kifaru gun bearer this season and see how it does there. I expect it will do fine. I don't think I would want to go much lighter with the amount of recoil, even with the brake. There is a manageable amount of muzzle flip. I have found that shooting on lower magnification gives me an opportunity to see animal reaction. With the low rings, the scope height in relation to the comb works for me. Tang safety is the best position for a hunting rifle. Short bolt throw is nice but not a big deal to me. The expended bolt know on the pro is more convenient that the traditional xbolt.

Conclusion-
I liked this gun when I first got it, but I was not sure if this would be a permanent addition to my gun safe. Today it doesn't just have a permanent home, but has taken the place of my 30-06 as my "go-to" rifle... well, maybe they can share that title.

90d6be594da7f6a0b5b81373d7fc6e85.jpg

>>>----JAKE----->

sgowda

FNG
Thanks for the review. I am looking to buy X-Bolt Mountain Pro 300 wsm in burnt bronze.