Rifle Build. Have questions and need input

WOODY05

FNG
Hey folks,
After my recent bear hunt, I have come to the conclusion that I need a lighter rifle especially for the an upcoming backcountry mule deer hunt I have planned. Now it won't take much to get lighter than what I already have I am also looking for something a little smaller of a round. I'm no gun nut so this will be a fun new project.

After doing some research and reading through different threads, I'm really leaning towards building a 280 AI. I don't want to flirt with divorce so lets try to keep this in a relatively cheap ballpark. $1500 would be ideal money spent on the top end(tell me if I am out of my mind).

I have two rifles that could potentially be doners to this build. A Howa chambered in 270. And if I have read correctly, you can also make a 30-06 into a 280 AI. Is this correct?

I would like to keep the 270 the way it is and modify the Winchester 30-06 but not sure if I will run into more challenges or not. It sounds like a lot of people use 270 caliber.

Another question is what type of weight should I expect this rifle to be in order to be accurate out to 800 yards or so? Although I haven't shot at an animal at this distance its still fun to practice at it.

Thanks in advance for all your input and all my newb questions.

ST52v

WKR
I bet most responses will be to sell the Winchester and buy the Kimber. You may not even find a smith and the parts to have a build done by a fall hunt.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

robtattoo

WKR

I put this'n together myself for under $700
It weighs in at 10lb9oz including the scope, but it's also got a 28 fairly heavy profile barrel. Started with a Savage 110 action & stock & had a barrel chambered by Bison Gun Works. Did all the installation & head spacing myself.
With a smaller profile tube (this is between a sporter & magnum profile) & cut to 22/24" I don't think getting it under 9lb would be a problem at all.

That said, if you already have a .270 & an .'06 you're really not going to gain anything by adding an inbetween caliber. I mean, other than the cool factor. If you're looking to convert, I'd do the Howa.

Woody-- It is always fun to layout the budget for a build or new rifle. I found myself in your position about 18 months ago and have gone with a factory rifle and also have two builds at the gunsmith right now. WARNING- it gets addictive.

Budget- $1500-- Is this Rifle only or rifle and optic? What optic do you have available for this rifle as it will greatly affect the overall capability of your system more so than caliber.

Assuming $1500 is rifle budget:
1. I fully agree with the guys above who said Kimber. For lightweight, out of the box accuracy I think they set a pretty high bar. Unless you handloading I would stay with a cartridge choice that provides a wide range of easily available, but high quality ammo. .300wsm is a great offering for a short action, plenty of energy, and HSM, Nosler, etc make great offerings. They offer a ton of choices (270wsm, 6.5CM, etc) all would work well for what you want.

2. Build off the Winchester- Barrel, Chamber/Installation, Bedding and/or new stock and you can be custom for your budget. The 30/06 has a standard bolt face and long action which gives you have a good number of choices for a new caliber. But a great one for starting longer distance shooting for deer sized game is the 6.5x284 and the 280 or even a 280AI. Ammo isn't on the shelf at wal-mart but again- Nosler and HSM make good offerings or handload it, there are great bullets available for the 6.5. To stay lighterweight and in budget you can look at the new Stocky's Stocks or maybe a Bell and Carlson coupled with a light contour or fluted barrel.

Good luck, there are some very very knowledgeable guys here on the site who will chime in. Make sure you let us know what you decide!

GKPrice

Banned
my vote, worth what you're paying for it, is a Kimber Montana 84L in .280 AI I shoot 270 WSM quite a lot and it is also a very good choice when deer is the intended victim BUT after you hold and shoulder an 84L I'd bet you'll be hooked like I was

Shrek

WKR
If you build on the Winchester there's plenty of parts and any smith can thread for the action. McMillan Edge stock is @$600 , fluted barrel from a premium barrel maker is $420ish , chamber and install barrel @$200 , light action true @$150. If you want a drop floorplate bottom metal the PTG runs @$90. Ernie the gunsmith trigger spring and NEC cap screws @$40. Small box of MarineTex gray @$20 for a diy bed job. A little over $1500. Your 30-06 Winchester can be made into anything that uses a .473 bolt face which is just about any non magnum round.

Kimber Montana will be cheaper and lighter. Winchester and Howa actions are both on the heavy side to start out.

ST52v

WKR
Have you looked at just the Howa barreled actions. You can get one in 6.5 creedmoor with a #1 barrel already cerakoted for around $600 . Drop it in a BBC stock $250. Should be fairly light.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

hodgeman

WKR
If you want a true lightweight you should start with a different rifle.... the Howa and Winchesters are fine and Howas in particular always seem to shoot really well but they start life heavy and you can generally spend a pile of cash on machine work, barrels and a stock to end up with what a Montana can be right out of the box.

That said- you can buy any number of light-ish rifles these days and not break the bank.... an X-bolt is about 6.5 pounds out of the box and typically can be had for $800-900 with some careful shopping and a Ruger American is about 6.25lbs and less than $500 and a Tikka T3 Light is just slightly over 6lbs at $700ish. All of these are typically 1MOA or better from the factory. For your budget- buy any of the above and stick a first rate scope on it and call it done.

I understand the custom lightweight rifle appeal- but, make no mistake, it is a financial loser in every respect these days. You can spend a lot and not get the equal of a factory rifle in terms of weight or performance.

Jon Boy

WKR
You can make a nice rifle for your budget with either of those actions but it will not be light, so it defeats the purpose if your looking for a lighter gun. Buy a tikka or a kimber if you want light. Build the winchester if you want cool.

FURMAN

WKR
I have no personal experience with Kimbers but have seen too many mixed reviews for me to spend my money on one. With your budget there will be many sacrifices in options. I would lean towards the Tikka but you would have to choose a different caliber. The Tikkas are also limited on magazine length and barrel twist in 7mm. I have no experience with them but Northwest action works has decent deals on barreled actions. You could get one of them and throw it in an Alaskan Ti stock. There may be other options for semi custom in that price range.

Last edited:
Get a kimber in 300 wsm and don't look back they shoot great and pound for pound they are a good value in a light rifle , in a custom the only way you can go lighter is a titanium action build which is very pricey , me and a buddy have 3 titanium builds going right now and it is expensive

Mk7mmSTW

WKR
If your keeping it basic, your action choice is irrelevant, as the basic needs for a dual all gun are made for every action. I would sell one of your above listed guns and grab a rem 700 used and go from there. You will find more deals or used part's for a 700 than you will for all the other makers combined. You can varify that by calling manners or McMillan or bell and Carlson and asking what percentage of stocks are set for a 700.

You can grab a nice sporter profile barrel for 2-350. Triggers pop up for 40-60 tuned and ready to go. Depending on stock needs/wants, you can spend 150 on a nice used B and C or you can wait and grab a used McMillan or manners for the 4 range.

RW Snyder is a very well known gunsmith and he does all the work for my buddies and I. His work is second to none and his finish quality will blow your mind. He charges a flat $250 to true up your action, thread and chamber the barrel for you. I had him sand blast my gun for a minimul fee and send it back. I cerokoted it myself and bedded it in my stock myself. My gun weighs in right at 7lbd plus or minus with a 27.5 4 brux with heavy fluting on a 700 long action milled out for 4 in shells. It's sitting in a used McMillan game scout edge fill which I had repainted. Cost me 1/3 of what it should of.

6f119d88a1036d402c9ba6af541dc693.jpg
1e51bd4f23173af676915f3d73b24ed6.jpg
07cd6d6e85940a91e28c8c459fb50d4d.jpg

Last edited:

Mk7mmSTW

WKR
If you aren't in a hurry, buying used and new on the forums will save you a ton. I saved parts for several years before sending it to a smith. Every piece of my build was purchased at half the price it should be. Including the glass.

I wanted a lightweight 1000 yard mule deer hammer. I went thin and long on the barrel and I love it. This set up will shoot a 195 grain out of a STW at 2950 fps. I will die with this rifle

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
OP
W

WOODY05

FNG
Thanks everyone for the input. The options are endless. I am not necessarily looking for a much lighter option than the howa or winchester but something lighter than what I am hunting with right now.

I recently purchased a 300 RUM that was built by montour county rifles. 28" brux, HS precision stock, jewel trigger and I topped it with a leupold mark 4. Best shooting gun I have ever shot. The thing is, its heavy and if I plan on going on a backpack hunt the rifle isn't going to cut it. This gun is what sparked the idea of building a smaller caliber for deer that I can shot significant ranges as well as save on weight and still get a similar accuracy as my RUM.

The more I start thinking about it, I may just use the 270 for this season and top it with some better glass. Just what I have read the 280 AI seems like a pretty good caliber with a lot of options and good performance.