Rifle is finally heading to the gunsmith.

Brandon_SPC

Lil-Rokslider
So I decided to go a different route in regards to a whitetail/elk rifle. I wanted a rifle that shot a heavier bullet slower (2400-2700f fps), still had decent BCs to shoot out to 400 yards if need be, and very mild recoil. So I opted for the 338 federal. Granted the 358 Winchester was definitely a runner up but I do still like the fact that I can find factory ammo if I dont feel like reloading. I'm looking forward to seeing the end product when I get home and hopefully take it out to shoot some whitetails or pigs. Currently I have 400 200grain Hornady Interlocks sitting at the house but I think I might give the Federal Fusion a try in this cartridge since I have had great success with that bullet out of my .270.

Action - Howa 1500 I got on sale at Pacfiic Tool and Guage
Barrel - Kreiger 1 in 10 (5R that will be cut down to 22". If I remember correctly I think it is a douglas #2 contour.
Stock - McMillan Sako Hunter in McWalnut
Optic - Meopta Meopro 3.5-10X44
Mounts - DNZ Game Reapers
Finish - Cerakote Gloss black. Not a Leupold type gloss but just a little glossy sheen

capture2.pngCapture.PNGcapture 3.png

Last edited:

letrbuck

WKR
That'll be a sweeeet rifle! The 338 federal has peaked my interest for a long time. Think it's a frequently overlooked cartridge that does more than most would think it can. Anxious to see it all finished!