Rifle mounted to tripod

I'm assuming you leave the adjustments all loose for left right forward back and pivoting? Just enough to be free moving but not sloppy.

OP
Salmon River Solutions

Salmon River Solutions

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Ya, with the VA-5 pan head it has extremely good tension adjustment, so it works great with this setup. With 1 leg toward me, two legs away and extended out a ways and at a shallower angle its extremely stable. I can lean against it lightly just like my bipod.

OXN939

WKR
Why not just a v-notch to rest firearm in? Does your method restrict movement of rifle for aiming-left, right, up, or down? I have witnessed differences when shooting off sandbags or lead sled or some type of rifle cradle.

I was wondering this same thing. Used a $10 rifle yoke from Amazon that threads onto the same mount as my spotter for my last hunt. Can see no reason to spend upwards of 10x as much to accomplish the exact same thing

OP
Salmon River Solutions

Salmon River Solutions

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I was wondering this same thing. Used a $10 rifle yoke from Amazon that threads onto the same mount as my spotter for my last hunt. Can see no reason to spend upwards of 10x as much to accomplish the exact same thing

Ummm, its way steadier than just a simple cradle. And where did you get the 10x cost thing? I did it for free .99. Someone else doing it would just have to buy a baseplate, same exact baseplate they use for there bino adapter or spotter, and a single 1/4-20 helicoil.

OXN939

WKR
Ummm, its way steadier than just a simple cradle. And where did you get the 10x cost thing? I did it for free .99. Someone else doing it would just have to buy a baseplate, same exact baseplate they use for there bino adapter or spotter, and a single 1/4-20 helicoil.

10x the cost was in reference to some of the suggestions like that Pig Cradle gig- not knocking anything like that or what you did at all, I just personally haven't found a need to permanently modify my stock or pay more than about $10. Actually super interesting to see everyone's different ways of skinning the cat!

Chase723

FNG
There’s a few options out there for doing this. Some obviously more expensive then others. The Swiss Arca is extremely stable. I have both a Swiss arca style and a QD plate. The Swiss arca is markedly more stable. Shooting a 10” plate at 500 with it while standing is no problem.

Boardmstr

FNG
This guy seems to have his system down with good practice. I think there are some better options for attaching, but worth the watch.

mcseal2

WKR
My set-up is on the expensive side, but I really like the Outdoorsmans rifle rest since I use their head anyway. The 2 points of contact with the rifle are way steadier than a single Y yoke. Nothing attaches to the gun so it works with all of them. Faster than a saddle and I don’t worry about it changing the point of impact with my light rifle wearing an 18oz stock. Just another option to throw out.
0FD8B29E-115C-42FE-B940-E496BFD3FEA9.jpeg

bradb

WKR
I just drill and then epoxy t nuts into the stock and direct mount a arca plate. Simple, cheap, and fast. Yes you will have drilled holes in your stock but doesn't bug me as they get drug through rocks and stuff any way. No I won't do it to a high end walnut stock I have

Blaw

WKR
Got my rifle on my tripod for the first time. Absolutely love it! Think it’s gonna be a game changer for me! Shooting this weekend, I will update with how I like it.

775a01ad7cc5211418b698546dd62db4.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How do you think this sort of attachment would work with a 300wm, compared to a harris bipod

OP
Salmon River Solutions

Salmon River Solutions

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I mean its obviously not nearly as fast as a standard bipod, but I have this setup on my 300 wm and it works great. Its a toss up between a standard head like I have, and a ball head. Only issue I see with the standard I have is that you have to adjust the legs to keep your gun level.

cmp224

FNG
I run the kopfjager setup but the tripod I have is heavy. Planning on upgrading to one of the carbon fibers eventually if I decide to lug it around

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

collinparsons

Lil-Rokslider
I use a benro s2 head so I’ve put qr4 plates on all my guns then I use an arca clamp when i want to use a bipod

JDZ

WKR
I use a benro s2 head so I’ve put qr4 plates on all my guns then I use an arca clamp when i want to use a bipod

I tried to use a pan head (also a Benro S2) and had poor luck. Leveling it seemed slow and clumsy. I switch to a ball head for the rifle.